Debbie Earth MBACP (Accred), Accredited and Registered Psychodynamic Counsellor
*I am working face-to-face with clients in my consulting room again as of 17th May 2021*
I am passionate about counselling and confident it can help change lives for the better. I'm Debbie, I'm professionally qualified and experienced and I offer you a warm, sincere and practical helping relationship. My work is to provide you with a safe place to talk and the support you need to figure out how to move forward in your life.
- We all experience times in our lives when we feel less able to cope than usual, times when we may feel alone, confused and even desperate. Most of my clients say they feel some immediate relief even after their first counselling session.
- With the help of the right counsellor you will start to have a clearer understanding of the situation that brought you to find help. As trust develops between us you'll feel stronger and more capable of initiating change. Counselling can help you to get through a tough time in your life, it can also induce deep and lasting change.
Please visit my website at: http://www.debbieearthcounselling.co.uk or glance through my profile and qualifications on this page first.
About counselling: Simply put counselling is a confidential relationship between you and me in which a supportive bond is formed between us in order to explore a difficulty, distress or dissatisfaction you are experiencing. By listening patiently and attentively I can begin to understand and perhaps help you see things from other perspectives. Counselling can enable choice and reduce confusion, anxiety and pain.
In sessions you'll feel relief at being able to explore various aspects of your life and your feelings in a way that is not easily possible with friends or family. Feelings such as anxiety, anger and grief can be expressed and will be heard by me in a gentle and non-judging way. As trust grows between us you will feel able to examine in detail behaviours and situations you are finding troublesome and to start to initiate change if you wish. I will help you to look at options and will support you and assist you in deciding what is best for you.
- Current research consistently shows that the relationship between counsellor and client is the most important factor in client recovery regardless of the type of therapy used.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BACP and WPF Accredited Diploma of Psychodynamic Counselling
- Trained in Client Assessment
- Trained in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) and Workplace Counselling
- Trained Bereavement Counsellor
- BWY Teaching Diploma and teacher of movement, meditation and breathing
Safety for you
- Enhanced Criminal Record Certificate (CRB) for work with Vulnerable Adults
- I am a BACP Accredited therapist and am approved by the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care (PSAHSC)
- Full Public Liability Insurance
- Registered member of BACP (Fully Accredited and qualified to be listed on the BACP Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists). Check my registration details here: http://www.bacpregister.org.uk/
- I uphold the BACP ethical framework for good practice and work according to BACP guidelines
- I see a supervisor monthly in order to discuss my client casework. This is for your safety and is a requirement of BACP membership. Strict confidentiality and anonymity for each client is upheld at all times.
- British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- British Wheel of Yoga (teacher member)
How counselling works
- I work psychodynamically, this approach is a form of depth psychology which relies more than other therapies on the interpersonal relationship between client and counsellor. This focus on the client/counsellor relationship can engender deep and lasting change.
- I also use Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) techniques and Breathing and Mindfulness techniques. Elements of these work particularly well for anxiety, depression and pain management in the first instance. Bodily symptoms such as a tightness in the chest, a knot in the stomach, and feeling sick and panicky all respond well to these techniques.
- During the coronavirus outbreak I am working online face-to-face with clients using a secure encrypted platform
- I see private clients in a comfortable counselling room on a quiet lane at my private practice. Until recently I also worked as a counsellor at a counselling training organisation in Southampton and at a bereavement counselling charity in Bournemouth.
- I attend courses and workshops on different counselling/psychotherapy issues throughout the year.
- I teach a few sessions each week of yoga, meditation and breathing to groups and individuals. My particular interest is in teaching students the methods that can enable them to relax for themselves and consequently cope better with the stresses of life.
Other help and links
- If you feel desperate and are unable to afford private counselling please do not feel you need to suffer alone. Your GP, Samaritans or Cruse Bereavement can all offer help.
NHS Direct http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Stress, anxiety and depression
- Relationship difficulties/family issues
- Issues of older adulthood
- Online counselling
- Free initial telephone conversation
- £45 initial assessment session
- £45 per 50 minute hour thereafter
I welcome contact from people who are unsure whether counselling is what they want and would like to use the initial session to explore this. We can decide together and please feel assured that you will be under no obligation to continue.
I work with adults of all ages and I offer short-term and longer term open-ended counselling. The duration of counselling is yours to decide, you knew when it was time to enter counselling and you will know when it is time to finish.
Daytime and evening appointments available
I welcome self-referrals. I also accept referrals from GP surgeries, other health professionals, companies and EAP's.
Tel: 07748 961442. Please do not be discouraged if I don't answer immediately, I have my phone turned off while I'm seeing clients; please feel free to leave your name and phone number and a convenient time for me to contact you and I will call you back as soon as I can. This dedicated counselling line is used only by me and your message is confidential. Please let me know if you DO NOT wish me to leave a message on your voicemail.
Or email me in confidence first using the email link above.