Dr Deba Choudhury-Peters
I am a Chartered Clinical Psychologist and the founder of my private practice, DCP Therapy. I have vast experience of assessing and treating adults with a range of psychological problems and diagnoses. With over 16 years experience in the NHS and having held senior positions there, my independent practice fosters the clinical skills of joint working with other relevant parties when necessary. A tailor-made approach is taken to help clients build psychological resilience to improve relationships and foster healthy emotional and physical well-being.
I specialise in treatment following recent traumatic experiences (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and childhood traumas.
As a Chartered Clinical Psychologist, I am registered with the Health and Care Professions Council and British Psychological Society (BPS).
I offer therapy for adults with psychological problems that may have come about as a result of a life event or a formal mental health diagnosis.
Within private practice, I offer modern evidence-based interventions as well as approaches that draw from cognitive, behavioural, attachment, experiential and psychodynamic principles. These include;
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Affect Phobia Therapy (APT) - experiential dynamic therapy (psychodynamic)
In some cases. I take an integrative approach to therapy if this is deemed to be more beneficial for the client. That is, drawing from a combination of therapeutic models rather than following one.
For further details, please refer to my private practice website www.dcptherapy.com
Training, qualifications & experience
In order to adhere to the HCPC professional guidelines, I frequently attend training events and conferences, both in the UK and overseas.
- Health Care Professionals Council (HCPC) registered as Practitioner Psychologist
- British Psychological Society Chartered membership
- Affect Phobia Therapy Core Training in London (2014 to date)
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (2010)
- Post grad. Certificate in Primary Care Mental Health (2005)
- Msc Applied Developmental Research (2002)
- BSc (hons) Behavioural Sciences (2001)
In addition to independent practice, I hold a sessional therapist position at Nightingale Hospital, a private Central London hospital. Prior to leaving the NHS, I held a senior role at the Institute of Psychotrauma in London and established a psychology service within a major Trauma Centre at an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department. The role involved assessments, brief and long-term therapy for adults with severe and enduring mental illness. Other key features of the role included offering consultation to complex cases as well as teaching, training and supervision.
I also have experience of publishing in journals, books and conference presentation. Please refer to my website for further information; www.dcptherapy.com
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
Please get in touch initially via phone or email.
I am a registered healthcare provider for major health insurance companies including AXA-PPP, Bupa, Aviva, Cigna, Pru Health/Vitality, Healix, WPA and GeoBlue.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
City of London - Tuesdays (daytime & evening) & Friday (daytime) Woking - Thursday (daytime)
Types of client