Dr Danielle Sampaio CPsychol, BPS, HCPC
I am a BPS Chartered Counselling Psychologist working with adults and children offering face to face and Skype counselling in North London as well as clinical supervision for Psychologists and therapists.
Every client is different and there is no one approach that fits all so I draw on a range of methods depending on your needs. No matter what theory is behind the work, building a trusting relationship always brings the best chance of real change happening. Having someone who understands the struggles you are going through provides a strong foundation to start exploring difficult aspects of your life. I won’t tell you how to live your life or judge you for the experiences you have had, but will instead help you take control of the choices you make and to cope better with the things you have gone through. I can help you to gain more of an understanding about the things in your life causing you distress, whilst developing better coping strategies to help you deal with the challenges life brings.
I can offer flexibility in terms of how many sessions you would like to commit to and to tailor our goals and focus around that.
Overview of the areas I have worked in
I have worked for many years in a range of adult, child and adolescent therapeutic services. Some of these areas include working in secondary care NHS mental health, schools, children's charities, drug and alcohol re-rehabilitation centres, local counselling services and an established private practice. My approach is very collaborative, underpinned by acceptance and respect for your well-being and capacity to look at often very painful issues and memories.
For others wanting more short term support with specific goals in mind, we can work together using a time-limited and goal focused approach. For this we would be more likely to use Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, where behaviour and emotional change is a core underpinning of the work we do together.
I help people with a spectrum of problems including sexual and physical abuse, long term physical illness, anxiety and depression, OCD, body image, eating disorders, bereavement and loss, addiction, bullying and relationship difficulties/separation. It may also be that you are struggling to cope with any traumatic memories, events or changes in your life that are causing you unhappiness or distress. No matter what you are going through I can tailor the therapy around your current situation.
During our first meeting we would discuss what you want to achieve in therapy and the areas that are causing you difficulties at the moment. I can offer a range of therapies depending on your needs and can recommend what style of therapy may be most beneficial. These could be:
- Integrative Psychotherapy (Using a combination of exploration of your past and current situation with an emphasis on future change)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Existential Psychotherapy
- Children's Therapy (A creative approach including imagination building, drawing, arts and crafts, story telling)
- Clinical Supervision
Therapy takes place in a private, comfortable and informal setting to ensure you feel at ease talking. I can offer both long and short term therapy either weekly or fortnightly. If travelling to sessions is difficult, I can also offer counselling via Skype and over the phone if suitable.
I offer varied session times on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday during the daytime or early evening.
The next step
Whether it is your first experience of therapy or if it is something you have done before, finding someone you connect with is paramount for the success of the time we spend together.
It is important we have a chance to meet before deciding whether you want to commit to sessions. When meeting for a first time we can talk through what's bringing you to therapy and any thoughts, hopes, or worries you have about starting. After that, we can decide if you'd like to continue and if I am the right therapist for you. We can also discuss your financial situation and what you are able to pay for sessions. There is no obligation to carry on after we meet. If you decide I am not the right person for you, then I will try my best to refer you to another colleague. If therapy is something you want to find out more about, please feel free to contact me and we can talk the details through.
Training, qualifications & experience
Clinical Supervision (BPS accredited)
Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology
Foundation course in Psychotherapy and Counselling
BA Hons Social Psychology with Sociology
Experience with Adults:
-Private practice- Based in North London, Crouch End and East Finchley. I work with both men and women from different backgrounds and cultures. Whatever leads someone to therapy, the aim is to build a strong and trusting relationship so positive change can happen. I have clients needing support with various issues, some of which include relationship and family breakdown, self-esteem and body issues, eating disorders, depression, anxiety and decision making, careers and studying, dealing with stress and sleeping problems, childhood abuse and trauma, bereavement and addictions.
- NHS Secondary Care Mental Health Services.- Working across South London supporting adults with life-long mood, anxiety and personality disorder. Key specialism in Childhood Abuse, Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, Complex Trauma, Anxiety, Agoraphobia and Depression.
- Counselling Initiatives-Offering long term therapy for a range of issues including family relationships, co-dependence, work-based stress and anxiety, coming to terms with childhood abuse and more.
- Turning Point-Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation services with adults serving community sentences. An important part of tackling an addiction is to focus not just on the physical behaviours but the emotions and thoughts that have become entrapping.
- Extensive doctoral thesis on Anorexia Nervosa and accompanying experience with women struggling with their relationships to their body and food.
Experience with Children and Young people:
- Private Practice- Encouraging young people to express themselves and make sense of their emotions through verbal and non-verbal communication. I adopt a range of creative tools such as art and dramatization to enhance the therapeutic process. I support children and adolescents from the age of 5 yrs upwards and help them cope with their surroundings, worries and emotions in a way that will empower them to make positive choices moving forward. Whether children are having problems at schools, with friends, or going through family breakdown, behavioural issues and problems, I can help them to work through how they feel and face the thing contributing to their unhappiness or difficulties.
- NSPCC/ChildLine - Working with children and young people both online and on the phone in groups and individually. Young people are often going through bullying, difficult transitions and loss, parental separation or intervention from social services, school problems, self-harm, body and eating issues, young people in care, long term illness, mental health problems and much more.
- Kids Company - Working 1-2-1 in a school based setting supporting young people between 12-16 years old from ethnic minorities and marginalised groups. They would be referred to the service often with behavioural or learning issues, friendship difficulties, concerns within the family or to generally encourage greater integration among friends and teachers.
- Get Connected Young Person's helpline-Working with young people between 12-25 offering support and guidance for issues such as education, housing, careers. Also support with emotional issues caused by difficult family life, rape and sexual abuse, mental health problems and low self-esteem and self-worth.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Many of the issues I work with are not listed here so please contact me if you are unsure and we can talk about your particular needs and how I can best help. There is no pressure to start therapy if you change your mind after initially talking things through.
£70 per session
£55 for Psychology/Psychotherapy/Counselling trainees
50-60 minute sessions.
Therapy would usually be weekly but I can also do fortnightly sessions
Full payment is required for cancellations with less than 24 hours notice.
Flexible session times for those needing different slots each week.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Conversational Portuguese|
Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday daytime or early evening.
Types of client
Supervision & training
I currently supervise both qualified and trainee Counselling Psychologists and Psychotherapists.