Caroline Nottage BA (Hons) Counselling/Psychotherapy, Registered MBACP (Accred)
07591 175167 / 07591 175167
I provide counselling, psychotherapy and clinical supervision in the South Hams and Torbay area, both individually face-2-face and also online, usually via Skype. I am an experienced BACP Accredited Person Centred Counsellor, Psychotherapist and Clinical Supervisor with a practice based in Torquay, Totnes and Dartmouth in Devon.
You may be looking for some help to deal with anxiety, depression, stress, workplace or relationship issues or to help support you through some sort of a loss. Counselling can help you to:
- Make changes in your life
- Make sense of where you are
- Identify the choices you have for change
- Increase your self-awareness
- Acquire more independence
- Feel more confident and content
- Face your future with more optimism
....to take back control.
Counselling is at its most effective when approached with total honesty, building a relationship and feeling safe with your counsellor is very important and all sessions are carried out in strict confidence. Boundaries are kept to protect both counsellor and client to ensure an ethical practice is followed, as laid down by the BACP.
Counselling can help you to become more aware of how you react in certain situations and this in turn can give you the power to choose - to continue to act in that way or not - to do something differently. This can have a positive effect on the way you choose to behave or react to things around you.
Working through obstacles that may stand in your way of making effective change and discussing sensitive issues can be hard work and is often emotionally draining. The level of change you may notice in yourself can vary from week to week and from person to person.
As an Accredited Registered Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP (Accred) 030715), I also have an honours degree (BA) in Person Centred Counselling and Psychotherapy from the University of Warwick and a diploma in Clinical Supervision.
Having gained experience as an NHS counsellor, within primary care in a GP surgery, I have a private practice and I also specialise in working with adult survivors of childhood abuse.
I have worked with the NHS IAPT Depression and Anxiety Service (DAS) in Exeter, providing Counselling for Depression (CfD) and clinical supervision for their Voluntary Counselling Service, including students on placement. I have recently worked with trainee doctors and with the Fire Service.
I provide supervision, both group and individual, for CentrePeace, a charity based in Paignton and am registered with Hammet Street Consultants, The Priory Group, Aviva, AXA PPP Healthcare, Validium and others as an affiliate counsellor.
I practice out of the Chelston Centre in Chelston, Torquay and at the Arcturus Clinic in Totnes, most week days and evenings and Saturday mornings. I also have access to rooms in Dartmouth.
I have experience of both short term and long term therapy working with general anxiety, depression, stress, difficulties in family relationships, physical health problems and their impact on your mood, loss and bereavement, coping with ageing and anxiety around death, difficulties with partner relationships, childhood abuse and its impact on you now, lack of confidence and self esteem, suicidal thoughts, loneliness, the impact of ill health in the family, the impact of court cases on your life.
I practice within the BACP ethical frameworks, which also includes regular clinical supervision to help validate and develop my work.
If you would like to discuss any of this further, you can contact me, by phone or email via the link above.
We would usually have a quick chat on the phone, just to establish your objectives for counselling and discuss a way of working together, then we could meet for an initial assessment session to see how we get on - and take it from there.
Training, qualifications & experience
- 2015 Diploma in Clinical Supervision
- 2014 Accredited member BACP
- 2013 BA (Hons) Person Centred Counselling and Psychotherapy, University of Warwick
- 2012 Accredited Member of the National Counselling Society
- 2011 Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy
- 2011 FdA Personal Centred Counselling and Psychotherapy, University of Warwick
- 2010 Working with survivors of sexual abuse, National Open College Network
- 2009 Certificate in Personal Centred Counselling and Psychotherapy, University of Warwick
- Asist - NHS Applied suicide intervention skills
- TA101 - Transactional analysis
- Mindfulness based CBT
- Hamlet on the couch - Shakespeare and psychotherapy
- Counselling and psychotherapy with clients who misuse drugs and alcohol
- Sexually speaking - overview of working with clients who have addiction issues, specifically sex addiction
- Update on counselling and psychotherapy with clients who have been emotionally, physically or sexually abused
- Brains, Bombs and Baddies - understanding post traumatic stress disorder and the long term effects on the brain in survivors of abuse and conflict.
- Creative approaches to working with clients in Person Centred Counselling and Psychotherapy
- COMBAT - Raising awareness in trafficking
- Counselling and psychotherapy with clients who have psychological disorders and mental health issues
- Practising existential psychotherapy
- The theory and practice of mindfulness and compassion focused therapy
- Pre death counselling
- Suicide and suicidal ideation
- Working at relational depth
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Sessions can be arranged at the Chelston Well Being Centre in Chelston, Torquay and at the Arcturus Clinic in Totnes, most week days and evenings or on Saturday mornings. I also have access to rooms in Dartmouth.
If the circumstances are right, sessions can be carried out via Skype and I can arrange for home visits.
Fees for counselling and psychotherapy are currently between £40 and £50 for a full 60 minute session - there is some room for negotiation, dependent on circumstances.
Please contact me for Clinical Supervision fees.
I also provide Clinical Supervision to counsellors and psychotherapists based around the Hawkins and Shohet Seven Eyed Model which helps to ensure all aspects of the client/counsellor/supervisor relationship are discussed, including any organisational context for either counsellor or supervisor.
The BACP recommends that all counsellors and psychotherapists practising under the Ethical Framework have appropriate levels of clinical supervision, dependent on their client load. For most counsellors, except those in training, this is often covered by a single session lasting one and a half hours every month. Other governing bodies, such as the NCS or UKCP also recommend a minimum level of supervision, depending on your circumstances and experience.
It is important that while we are in supervision together we have a clear understanding of how we might work and what we expect from each other, I have a Supervision Agreement which may help to form the basis of this understanding, which I can send to you.
I have provided 1-2-1 face-2-face supervision with the NHS IAPT Depression and Anxiety Service in Exeter, working with their Voluntary Counselling Service and currently I work with a local charity offering counselling to the community and with private clients, including students.
It is possible to arrange for some supervision sessions to be carried out using SKYPE.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Most week days and evenings 9am to 8pm and Saturday mornings
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I provide Supervision based around the Hawkins and Shohet Seven Eyed Model which helps to ensure all aspects of the client/counsellor/supervisor relationship are discussed, including any organisational context for either counsellor or supervisor.View supervision profile