Anne Docherty - MA Counselling MSc Psychology BSc (Hons) Psychology Reg MBACP
(01483) 825643 / (07958) 001685
I passionately believe that good counselling empowers individuals to find answers within themselves; answers that will enable them to live with their own truth, be on their own side and find healing.
My journey into counselling began when as a teacher of adolescents in a Barnardo’s school, I came to realise that the impact of early life experiences on the growing child continues into adulthood. I witnessed this being played out in individuals from all walks of life when working as a careers adviser within education, training and employment and more recently working with adolescents and adults whose pain and anger were expressed in the form of addictions, self harm and risk taking behaviours.
While many of us may ‘weather’ a variety of adverse childhood experiences, their effects can emerge at various stages of our lives causing troubling and confusing emotions, symptoms and behaviours that interfere with our quality of life.
I offer a warm and caring counselling approach that is respectful and accepting of any issues you may wish to explore in an environment that is totally safe and confidential.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MA in Integrative Counselling – Roehampton University
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Level II: Emotional Processing, Meaning Making and Attachment Repair – Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Level I: The Treatment of Trauma - Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute
- MSc in Psychology - The Open University
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology – The Open University
- Member of the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP)
- Member of tag (Trauma and Abuse Group)
- Sexualised Trauma - Zoe Lodrick, Sexualised Trauma Specialist
- Transforming Shame and Self-Loathing – Dr Janina Fisher, Sensorimotor Institute
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills – Assist Training
- Working with Complex Trauma – tag (Trauma and Abuse Group)
- Taking a Trauma Informed Approach – CALM Training
I have over twenty-five years of experience working with adolescents and adults in a variety of settings that include residential care, special and mainstream education, statutory education, employment and training and a hostel for those who would otherwise be homeless.
I have worked with individuals with autism, Asperger’s syndrome and a variety of mental health conditions.
In addition to my private practice at The Eaves in Guildford, I work at Relate in Reigate as a young person and adult individual counsellor and am a counsellor for students at East Surrey College.
I have training and experience in a variety of counselling models but favour an integrative approach that combines a range of perspectives. This allows me to be flexible and creative, adjusting my counselling style to the unique circumstances each individual brings to counselling. These perspectives include:
Psychodynamic: to explore the unconscious processes that can interfere with everyday life and relationships.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: to explore and address the impact of negative thought patterns on feelings and behaviour.
Systemic: to explore how the sense of self is affected by and affects others within families, education, work and other relational circles.
Sensorimotor psychotherapy: to explore the effects of trauma, developmental and attachment issues as they are held in the body.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Bipolar disorder
- Childhood bullying
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
I offer an initial consultation free of charge. Thereafter my fees are £55 for each 50 minute session.
I hold an Enhanced DBS Certificate, enabling me to work with children and vulnerable adults.
I have regular Child Protection and Safeguarding training.
I have full professional insurance.
I would welcome the opportunity to answer any questions you may have. Please do e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me on 01483 825643 or 07958 001685 for a preliminary discussion of your needs.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime, evening and weekend appointments available.
Types of client