Anna Reali Reg.MBACP
I am a fully qualified and experienced Child and Adolescent Therapist and Student and Staff Counsellor.
My work has two main strands:
- I specialise in working with children, young people and their families. Issues I encounter in my daily practice are varied and include low mood and anxiety, parental separation, illness in the family and bereavement.
- I work with adults focusing on relationships issues, self-esteem, issues to do with wellbeing in the workplace (stress and anxiety, redundancy, relocation, relationships in the workplace) and with life transitions (starting a new job, moving to a new country, adapting to a new culture).
My therapeutic approach is broadly psychodynamic, but interventions are always adapted to the individual needs of my clients. I pay attention to what may be going on under the surface and to the ways past experiences can shape our current lives. Most importantly, I aim to develop a therapeutic relationship that is collaborative, caring and trusting.
As we go through different stages in our life we experience challenges and transitions, some of which we may struggle to understand and manage. Our development as individuals and the process of self-awareness that comes with it are far from linear.
Counselling can offer a safe space in which to explore what is getting in the way, so that we can come up with options and a renewed sense of purpose and direction in our life.
I have first-hand experience of working in schools and academies across London and Cambridge. I have been a team leader for the charity Blue Smile in Cambridge and have worked in the student counselling service at the University of Westminster in London, where I am currently involved with a specialist service for members of staff.
Central to my approach to working with children and young people is the use of art materials, as a tool to facilitate the expression of emotions and experiences that may otherwise remain unspoken or unprocessed. Using art materials comes quite natural to children. Young people may choose to talk about their issues first and use art materials as therapy progresses, if they find that it helps the process.
Student counselling focusses on a variety of issues, both personal and study-related, such as exam anxiety, procrastination, low mood, life transitions, relationship issues and self-esteem. I am trained in short-term, focussed work with students and staff and welcome referrals from Colleges and Universities.
I am fluent in English and Italian and I am happy to work in both languages.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I am registered with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). Accredited Register no. 048611
- Master of Science with Distinction in Psychodynamic Counselling with Children and Adolescents at Birkbeck College, London. Member of the Birkbeck Counselling Association (BCA)
- 'Couples as Parents and Parents as Couples' (3-months course), Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust
- Advanced Training in Group Processes, OPUS, London
- Certificate in Developing Supervision Skills (9-months course), BPF
- Intermediate Certificate in Counselling Skills, Hills Road College, Cambridge
- Prior to training as a therapist I worked in Higher Education as a teacher and a translator and have an MPhil in European Literature and an MA-equivalent Degree in Foreign Languages.
- I have supervision for all my practice and I have engaged in recognised CPD activities each year since qualifying
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Eating disorders
- Family issues
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Personality disorders
My fees range between £50 and £60 depending on the time and the location. I try to keep open a few places for low fee patients, especially for young adults on low incomes. Please ask when making an enquiry.
I offer school-based training in Mental Health and Education to members of staff and to parents of school-aged children/young people.
Some of the workshops I designed and facilitated cover issues such as: Developing Mentoring in School; How to Manage Difficult and Sensitive Conversations with Children; What is Childhood Wellbeing; Child and Adolescent Development.
Please feel free to contact me if you would like further information.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client