Dr Abdullah Mia, Chartered and Registered Consultant Clinical Psychologist
I work with a range of people from adolescents to adults, talking and thinking together to come to a shared understanding of how to address the problems you are experiencing. As a Clinical Psychologist I can work with you to focus on short term therapy focusing on specific problems (using CBT) or longer term therapy focusing on developing a sense of direction and meaning in your life or managing important life transitions.
Supported by research evidence, I believe the therapeutic relationship is important, and one of the main drivers to successful therapy. Therefore I endeavour to provide a genuine, empathic, honest and overall human experience. If I am not the best person for you, I will try and find you an appropriate therapist.
During our first free telephone consultation, we can discuss your hopes, goals and what meeting with a Clinical Psychologist will involve.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have worked in the NHS within the field of Clinical Psychology for over 15 years; 9 of which I have been qualified. I am currently a Consultant Clinical Psychologist and Clinical Lead for a specialist service working with adults who have complex difficulties in relating to others and society around them. As a private practitioner I provide clinical supervision to individuals and charities.
I draw on a range of psychological modalities, primarily Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), psychodynamic and narrative therapy. I have experience working with people, groups, organisations and communities, in particular how these interact together influencing the way we stories we tell ourselves and how we relate, think, feel and behave.
As an EMDR therapist I also regularly work with people who have experienced PTSD or other trauma based difficulties. People often come for EMDR after they have experienced a range of challenging situations such as road traffic accidents.
I have experience of supporting organisations with developing their service to ensure they get the best out of their workforce whilst also meeting their targets. In particular providing time-limited service to help improve employee well-being.
In addition to my professional registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) I am also registered with the British Psychological Society as a Chartered Psychologist.
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsy) - University of Essex & Tavistock Clinic (2011)
- Certificate in Counselling Skills (Cert) - University of Birmingham (2006)
- Masters in Research Methods in Psychology (MSc) - University of Warwick (2005)
- Graduate Diploma Psychological Studies (GradDip) - University of Central Lancashire (2004)
- Bachelors Degree in Neuroscience (BSc Hons) - University of Central Lancashire (2003)
Approved Training Courses
- Schema Therapy - Schema Therapy Associates (2017)
- Reflective Practice in Organisations - Institute of Group Analysis (2016)
- Foundation Course in Group Analysis - Institute of Group Analysis (2015)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing Level Part 1-4 (2013)
- Narrative Therapy Level 1 - Institute of Narrative Therapy (2010)
- CBT for Psychosis - Efficacy CBT (2013)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
In addition to individual therapy, I provide a consultation and training service to organisations to enhance employee wellbeing and support.
I have a special interest in working with men, and those from ethnic minority groups.
Individual Sessions - £85
Clinical Supervision - £60
Secure Online Video
Clinical Supervision - £50
Any reports that may be required will be charged at an hourly rate.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available Monday - Thursday 7PM - 10PM Friday and Weekend: Full Day
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I provide supervision focussing on clinical material and professional development to individual mental health professionals including including Psychologists, Counsellors, Social Workers and a range of other mental health professionals.