Tess (Thais Lloyd), Registered MBACP, MSc, Adv Dip Counselling
Hello. My name is Thais Lloyd, but people call me Tess. I am a fully qualified counsellor with over 20 years' experience.
Looking for a counsellor can be challenging, but finding someone you can connect well with can make a real difference to how you feel and to how you deal with difficulties in your life.
Counselling is a way to offer people the experience of being connected, listened to, understood with respect and compassion. I believe that this experience can lead to relief, change and growth. Through understanding your thoughts and feelings, and exploring what is causing you distress from new points of view, you will gradually feel stronger.
My aim is to support you to find the relief you seek, or make the changes you wish to make, and to move forward in your life in a more fulfilling way.
I will offer you:
- A warm, safe, confidential space where you can explore your difficulties openly.
- A genuine, confidential and professional relationship with me.
- Working at your pace, respecting your goals and building on your strengths.
- Flexibility and focus to help you find ways to improve your well-being.
If you want to talk to me about how counselling could be helpful to you and your situation, please contact me by phone (07493 591515) or email me.
About my work
I have worked with a variety of people, old and young, as a counsellor and psychotherapist, drug worker and mentor. I have experience of working with clients suffering with:
- Low self-esteem
- Low self-confidence
- Relationships issues
- Difficult life changes
- Loneliness, social isolation
- Loss and grief in old age
- Health-related stress
- Drug addiction and alcoholism
- Being a carer, or being cared for.
As we understand your obstacles and challenges better, we will learn how you can use your resources and strengths to make the changes you wish to make. Working on what is difficult or hurtful won't always be easy, but I'll be by your side, open-minded, offering a safe space for reflection and growth. Gradually your difficulties will become clearer, and you will feel better able to deal with them.
I am an integrative, humanistic counsellor, which means that I draw from different theoretical models to fit the clients' needs and wishes. My main theoretical influences are the person-centred approach and Gestalt therapy; but I may also use elements from Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT) in my work, as and when helpful to you. I focus on what you are experiencing at this moment, and I see you as the expert in your own life.
I offer counselling to adults of all ages in Exeter (Cowick Street) and in Ashburton. I can also go your home if you are unable to come to me.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am particularly committed to making counselling accessible to older people. With the support of Age UK Exeter, I have developed a counselling service for Age UK service users in Exeter.
- Private counsellor in Exeter and Ashburton.
- Counsellor at Age UK Exeter.
- Enabler and community development worker for Teignbridge Council, aiming at reducing social isolation.
- Volunteer in a local memory café for people with dementia and their carers.
- Drug and alcohol counsellor for 11 years, using CBT methods, relapse prevention and motivational interviewing (Harbour Drug and Alcohol Services, Plymouth; Turning Point, Taunton; Federal University of Sao Paulo).
- Researcher in drug and alcohol treatment in the UK (St George's Hospital, London) and in Brazil (Federal University of Sao Paulo).
- Psychotherapist/counsellor in Brazil for 6 years.
Training & qualifications
- Advanced Diploma in Humanistic Counselling (Dartmoor Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- MSc degree in Drug and Alcohol Addiction (King’s College London, 2001)
- Psychology degree (1993)
I am committed to my personal and professional development and I regularly take part in supervision, training and study groups.
British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
As a registered member of BACP, I abide by its code of ethics.
I have CRB/DBS clearance and I am fully insured.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
The initial session is £20.The cost of further sessions is £40.
Concessions are available for students and for people on lower income.
If you want to find out more about me or my work, please have a look at my website www.silverferncounselling.co.uk
if you want to talk about how counselling might help you, please phone me on 07493 591515.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client