Thais Lloyd, Registered MBACP
Hello and welcome to my profile. I am a fully qualified counsellor with more than 20 years' experience of working with different client groups.
I will listen to you with my full attention and commitment, supporting you and responding to what you are experiencing at this moment. I will strive to understand you in what truly matters to you.
As we understand your obstacles and challenges, we will learn how you can use your resources and strengths to make the changes you wish to make. Working on what is difficult or hurtful won't always be easy, but I'll be by your side, open-minded and with compassion, offering a safe space for reflection. Gradually your difficulties will become clearer, and you will feel stronger to deal with them. My aim is to support you to move forward in your life in a more fulfilling way.
If you want, we can use creative methods that can help you express what is sometimes difficult to express in words; for example with pictures, stories or sand-tray.
The initial session will give you the opportunity to talk about what you want from counselling, and to find out more about how I work. It is important that you feel we can develop a relationship of trust and openness.
Essentially I will offer you:
- A warm, safe, confidential space where I'll listen to you in a non-judgemental, supportive and sensitive way.
- A genuine, honest, professional relationship with me.
- Openness to talk about your problems and consider how you want to move forward.
- Working at your pace, respecting your goals and building on your strengths.
- Flexibility and focus to help you find ways to improve your well-being.
About my work
I work with adults of all ages at a counselling room in Cowick Street, Exeter, and in my counselling room in Ashburton. I can also go a client's home if they are unable to come to me.
I am particularly committed to making counselling accessible to older people. With the support of Age UK Exeter, I have developed a counselling service for Age UK service users in Exeter.
I work with clients on a number of issues, the most frequent ones being:
- Depression and anxiety
- Loss (of independence, mobility, etc)
- Relationships issues
- Health-related stress
- Loss of independence
- Difficult life changes
- Low self-esteem
- Dementia care
- Being a carer, or being cared for.
My experience of working with people from all walks of life gives me flexibility to work in a professional way with each unique client.
I am an integrative, humanistic counsellor, which means that I draw from different theoretical models to fit the clients' needs and wishes. My main theoretical influences are the work of Carl Rogers and Gestalt therapy. These help us focus on what you are experiencing at this moment. I may also use Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) methods in my work, if these fit your needs and goals.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Private counsellor in Exeter and Ashburton.
- Counsellor at Age UK Exeter.
- Enabler and community development worker for Teignbridge Council, aiming at reducing social isolation.
- Volunteer in a local memory café for people with dementia and their carers.
- Drug and alcohol counsellor for 11 years, using CBT methods, relapse prevention and motivational interviewing (Harbour Drug and Alcohol Services, Plymouth; Turning Point, Taunton; Federal University of Sao Paulo).
- Researcher in drug and alcohol treatment in the UK (St George's Hospital, London) and in Brazil (Federal University of Sao Paulo).
- Psychotherapist/counsellor in Brazil for 6 years.
Training & qualifications
- Advanced Diploma in Humanistic Counselling (Dartmoor Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- MSc degree in Drug and Alcohol Addiction (King’s College London, 2001)
- Psychology degree (1993)
I am committed to my personal and professional development and I regularly take part in supervision, training and study groups.
British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
As a registered member of BACP, I abide by its code of ethics.
I have CRB/DBS clearance and I am fully insured.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
The initial session is £20.The cost of further sessions is £40. Some concessions are available.
If you want to find out more about me or my work, please have a look at my website www.silverferncounselling.co.uk or phone me on 07493 591515.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client