Stephen Newton, Create Counselling, Bristol.
Call me 07428220497, or email me on email@example.com to set up an initial, no-obligation session.
When we talk, we can see if we work well together.
If you are happy after this session, we can look at a regular date to meet.
I usually see clients weekly, but some prefer to meet fortnightly.
- I am a fully qualified counsellor based in Winterbourne, Bristol.
- I regularly work with both adults and children.
- I am a member of the National Counselling Society.
- I trained on a BACP approved course, at the University of the West of England.
- I am also a part-time teacher.
- Prior to counselling, I worked as an art teacher for over twenty-five years, with mainstream and disabled pupils.
- I have worked at Cruse Bereavement Care as a volunteer, then professional counsellor since 2013.
- I perform within the arts in a variety of areas, including music and puppetry.
- I receive monthly supervision for my work.
- I have full Public Liability Insurance. I have enhanced DBS disclosure.
How I work:
I offer a safe and confidential setting for you to explore your worries and concerns. I am a qualified, integrative counsellor.
I use the Person Centred approach as the basis for my work.
1) Unconditional Positive Regard: where I approach all clients with the same basic assumption. You are a valuable person, who regardless of how you feel about yourself, is important to me.
2) Empathy: where I work to understand where you are coming from and how you got there.
3) Congruence: I believe it is important to be congruent or truthful with you when we work together. I hope to help you understand yourself so you can move forwards independently in future.
In addition to this method, I have trained in other approaches, such as Psychodynamic Counselling, Gestalt Therapy, Solution Focussed Therapy and Transactional Analysis. I like to bring these and creative ways of working into our sessions to offer a flexible and personalised service to you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BA (Hons) Drama and English. Middlesex University.
- PGCE Drama in Education, University of Central England, at Birmingham.
- Certificate in Professional Studies in Education, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- MA (Ed) SEN, University of The West of England, Bristol.
- Certificate in Professional Studies , Counselling, University of The West of England, Bristol.
- Diploma in Professional Studies, Counselling, University of The West of England, Bristol.
- Network Counselling: Being There: Introduction to Counselling Skills
- Cruse Bereavement Care: Awareness in Bereavement Care, Foundation Course
- Cruse Bereavement Care: Working With Children/ Young People.
- University of the West of England. Certificate In Professional Skills, Counselling.
- University of the West of England. Diploma In Professional Skills, Counselling
- Cruse Bereavement Care:Holding a Space for Your Client.
- Cruse Bereavement Care:Recording Notes in Client Work
- University of the West of England: Transactional Analysis 101
- Cruse Bereavement Care: Solution Focussed Therapy for Clients at Risk of Suicide
- Lois Tonkin: Effective Support for Grieving People
- Cruse Bereavement Care:Introduction to Art Therapy
- British Association of Play Therapists: Introduction To Sand Play Therapy
- Network Counselling: De-mystifying Borderline Personality Disorder
- Network Counselling: Self Care for Counsellors.
- Winston’s Wish: Understanding The Needs of Bereaved Children and Young People
- South West Psychotherapy: Setting Up Your Own Counselling Practice.
- Network Counselling: Working With Trauma In The Counselling Room
- Cruse: Being With the Client and Working Creatively.
- Art For Our Sake: Using the Arts to Support People With Mental Illness. Conference.
- Karl Gregory: Mental Illness Diagnosis.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Asperger's syndrome
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Health anxiety
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
I charge £40 per session.
If you are registered disabled, (a Blue Badge User) you will have a 10% discount on sessions.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Basic Makaton|
I have worked with disabled people for nearly 40 years, so I am very disabled-positive! My practice is fully accessible.
I have a range of possible daytime and evening appointments.
Types of client