Selene Maher (Accredited Member: NCS; MBACP)
I am an Accredited Member of the National Counselling Society, and a Registered Member of the BACP. and I adhere to both of these Ethical Codes of Practice.
This means that my work is regularly clinically supervised, and I ensure strict confidentiality.
My training is in Humanistic Counselling based on Transactional Analysis, although I use a variety of different modalities in my practice.
I continue to attend professional seminars, workshops, and other training to ensure that my personal and professional development remain current.
I offer long term face to face therapy, or short term, solution focused therapy, if preferred.
I have a number of years experience of working with individuals with a range of issues including anxiety, depression, difficult relationships with food, stress, anger, loss and bereavement (including pet bereavement), addictive behaviours, as well as family/work/relationship issues.
In my experience, people make the decision to come to counselling for many reasons, and I understand that it can feel very daunting to embark on a journey of this kind.
However, I believe that just being able to talk about your thoughts and feelings can often bring great relief, and that this experience can be life changing.
I view the counselling relationship as a collaborative one, in which you, the client, are the expert in your own life, and my role is to provide you with a warm, supportive, non judgemental, safe space from which, together, we can explore the issues that are troubling you.
I look forward to hearing from you, if you feel that the time may be right to take the first steps on your journey.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Foundation Degree in Humanistic Counselling Based in Transactional Analysis.
- Diploma In Counselling Skills
- Transactional Analysis 101
- Certificate in Counselling Skills
- 2020 Helping Clients with Anger
- 2019 Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- 2019 Working with Imposter Syndrome/Self Esteem 101
- 2019 StopSO 3 Day Training Course, Southampton.
- 2019 The Secure Base in the Room: Attachment Theory as a Paradigm for Psychological Therapies. (Gwen Adshead, Basingstoke Counselling Service.)
- 2019 Working safely and professionally with erotic transference and counter-transference.
- (Sally Openshaw, BACP)
- 2018 Trauma, the body, and the nervous system-implications for therapy. (Graham Music, Counselling in Andover & NW Hants)
- 2018 Understanding and Recognising Sex and Porn Addiction (Paula Hall, The Laurel
- 2018 Exploring Dreams Workshop (Diane Hardiman, HACP)
- 2018 Family Therapy and Family Dynamics Workshop (HACP)
- 2017 Working Safely and Therapeutically with Domestic Abuse (BACP)
- 2017 Self Harm and Self Care, and the way between, (Dr Maggie Turp HACP)
- 2016 Cis’ters 3 day Training Course: The impact of sexual exploitation/abuse.
- 2016 British Psychotherapy Foundation Wessex Training Lecture: Countertransference experiences in working with traumatised patients.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
National Counselling Society
The National Counselling Society
This Not For Profit association of counsellors and psychotherapists aim to support the counselling profession, members and training organisations.
In 2013 the NCS register was accredited by the Professional Standards Authority under the Accredited Voluntary Register Scheme. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
I believe that the therapeutic relationship itself is the foundation stone on which all good counselling is built, so I offer a free 30 minute initial consultation so that we can find out a little about each other, and decide if we would like to work together.
£45 per 50 min weekly session, or £40 per session if 6 sessions are booked.
£40 for Trainee Counsellors
In the current Covid-19 crisis, I am offering concessionary rates for NHS and other key workers, and also those on low incomes.
Concessions offered for
Fully insured, ICO registered, and DBS checked.