Sarah Oak Dip. Couns. Registered MBACP
We all experience good times and challenging times in our lives. Whilst the good times can feel happy and uplifting, the challenging times can bring us down and leave us feeling low or out of sync with ourselves. Counselling can help you to explore your difficulties, make sense of your emotions and re-connect with yourself.
I am a warm, caring and empathic Therapist, offering one to one counselling in a safe and private space for you to talk through your worries and share your thoughts and feelings openly, without being judged. I work integratively with a combination of therapeutic approaches which means that I will tailor my style of work to suit your needs and find a comfortable way forward, rather than working in a set and rigid way.
I have significant experience in working successfully with clients in areas including anxiety, relationship problems, low mood & depression, trauma, emotional abuse, low self esteem, separation & divorce, eating difficulties/disorders, self harm and suicidal thoughts. For full details of areas of counselling I have experience of working with, please see below.
Walk & Talk Therapy
Sometimes, it may be uncomfortable or difficult to be seated for a counselling session if health issues are a concern. Or you may be looking for an alternative environment to help stimulate thoughts and creativity.
I can offer 'Walk & Talk Therapy', which brings together the traditional talking therapy with the energy of walking, side by side at a pace that suits you. Research shows that exercise can have a significant and positive impact on stress, anxiety and depression, whilst improving overall mood. In addition, connecting with nature and being outdoors can be meditative and enrich reflection.
Walk & Talk can offer a new dynamic to get you moving, enhance your mental well being as well your physical health.
If you are thinking of taking that first step into talking through some of your difficulties, I am here to discuss this option with you. Thank you for reading my profile and I hope to hear from you soon.
Training, qualifications & experience
- CPCAB Diploma in Humanistic Integrative Therapeutic Counselling
- CPCAB Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies
- CPCAB Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills
- UKOL Diploma in Substance Abuse and Drug Awareness
Other Training & Professional Development includes:
- Panic & Panic Attacks
- Skype Counselling with Clients
- Dreams, Daydreaming & Creativity
- Working with & Understanding Couples
- Working with Autism & ASD
- BACP Register of Counsellors & Psychotherapist Certificate of Proficiency
- Autism Awareness Peer Group
- Supporting Survivors of Domestic Abuse
- MK Rogerian Peer Group
- Social Care Institute for Excellence Certificate in Mental Capacity
- COVAID Group Facilitator
- Royal College of General Practitioners Certificate in Drug Misuse
- Royal College of General Practitioners Certificate in Treatment Planning & Harm Reduction
- MKSCB Safeguarding
- Protecting Children & Vulnerable Adults
- Motivational Interviewing
- IGT4 Healthcare Information Governance & Data Protection
- ASET Certificate in Drug Awareness
I am a Registered Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and adhere to their code of ethics to ensure safe and ethical practice.
I also hold a current, enhanced DBS (formally CRB) certificate.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Childhood bullying
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Controlling panic attacks
- Change and transition
- Grief and loss
- Loneliness and isolation
- Experiencing discrimination, prejudice and stereotyping
- Facing mortality
- Family breakdown
- Traumatic events
- Personal development
- Working creatively; using materials to facilitate therapeutic work
- Walk and Talk Therapy
Photos & videos
Individual Counselling (Adults only):-
It is important to feel comfortable in counselling, so I offer an initial 30 minute session for £15.00 to discuss your needs, what you hope to gain from counselling and how we may be able to work together.
There is no obligation to agree to work with me or attend a set number of sessions.
After the initial meeting, sessions cost £35.00 and last for 50 minutes.
Concessions available for Counselling Students - please contact me for information.
Cash and bank transfer payments accepted.
Unfortunately, cancellations made within 48 hours will incur a fee.
I work in an open ended way and can provide short or long term counselling.
Sessions are weekly, on the same day & at the same time unless agreed otherwise.
I work in safe and quiet settings based in Milton Keynes - Shenley Lodge MK5 & Stony Stratford MK11
If you would like to read some of the feedback I have received from clients, please click on the link http://www.sarahoaktherapy.co.uk/testimonials.html to my website. Thank you.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Currently I am only able to offer daytime appointments as all my evening slot times are all fully booked.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|