Sarah Oak Dip. Couns. MBACP (Accred)
We all experience good times and challenging times in our lives. Whilst the good times can feel happy and uplifting, the challenging times can bring us down and leave us feeling low or out of sync with ourselves. Counselling can help you to explore your difficulties, make sense of your emotions and re-connect with yourself.
I am a warm, caring and compassionate Therapist, offering a safe and private space for you to talk through your worries and share your thoughts and feelings openly, without being judged. I work integratively with a combination of therapeutic approaches which means that I will tailor the work to suit your individual needs and find an appropriate way forward, rather than working in a set and rigid way.
I have significant experience in working successfully with clients in areas including anxiety, relationship problems, low mood & depression, bereavement, survivor's guilt, domestic abuse, low self esteem, separation & divorce, eating difficulties & disorders, co-dependency, self harm and suicidal thoughts. For full details of areas of counselling I have experience of working with, please see below.
Walk & Talk Therapy
Sometimes, it may be uncomfortable or difficult to be seated for a counselling session if health issues are a concern. Or you may be looking for an alternative environment to help stimulate thoughts and creativity.
I offer 'Walk & Talk Therapy', which brings together the traditional talking therapy with the energy of walking, side by side at a pace that suits you. Research shows that exercise can have a significant and positive impact on stress, anxiety and depression, whilst improving overall mood. In addition, connecting with nature and being outdoors can be meditative and enrich reflection.
Walk & Talk can offer a new dynamic to get you moving, enhance your emotional well being as well your physical health.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Advanced Post Diploma Certificate in Person Centred Couples Counselling
- CPCAB Diploma in Humanistic Integrative Therapeutic Counselling
- CPCAB Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies
- CPCAB Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills
- UKOL Diploma in Substance Abuse and Drug Awareness
Other Training & Professional Development includes:
- Dissociation & Dissociative Identity Disorder
- Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Trauma & The Body
- BACP Certificate of Accreditation
- Coping With Infertility
- Panic & Panic Attacks
- Skype Counselling & Supporting Clients Online
- Working With & Understanding Couples
- Working With Autism & ASD
- BACP Register of Counsellors & Psychotherapist Certificate of Proficiency
- Autism Awareness Peer Group
- Supporting Survivors of Domestic Abuse
- MK Rogerian Peer Group
- Social Care Institute for Excellence Certificate in Mental Capacity
- Royal College of General Practitioners Certificate in Drug Misuse, Treatment Planning & Harm Reduction
- MKSCB Safeguarding
- Protecting Children & Vulnerable Adults
- IGT4 Healthcare Information Governance & Data Protection
I am an Accredited Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and adhere to their code of ethics to ensure safe and ethical practice.
I also hold a current, enhanced DBS (formally CRB) certificate.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Controlling panic attacks
- Change and transition
- Apathy & lack of interest
- Grief and loss
- Loss of a loved one by suicide
- Survivor guilt
- Loneliness and isolation
- Feeling unhappy, feeling low
- Identity problems
- Experiencing discrimination, prejudice and stereotyping
- Coercive control & abuse
- Facing mortality
- Family breakdown, family problems
- Communication difficulties
- Pet bereavement
- Traumatic events
- Personal development
- General counselling
- Personal Therapy for the Trainee Counsellor (concessions available)
- Working creatively; using materials to facilitate therapeutic work
Photos & videos
It is vitally important to feel comfortable in counselling, so I offer an initial consultation session to discuss your needs, what you hope to gain from counselling and how we may be able to work together.
There is no obligation to agree to work with me or attend a set number of sessions.
Individual Counselling (Adults 18+ only)
An initial 30 minute consultation costs £20.00.
After the initial meeting, sessions cost £40.00 and last for 50 minutes.
Counsellors in Training
If you are a Student Counsellor in training, I can offer a reduced rate. Please contact me for information. I can also offer the use of therapeutic language within sessions to support links to course criteria if wanted.
Payments can be accepted by way of cash, credit/debit card or contactless, required at the start of each session.
Unfortunately, cancellations made within 48 hours will incur a fee.
I work in an open ended way and can provide short-term, long-term or time limited counselling.
Sessions are usually weekly, on the same day & at the same time each week.
Please be aware that currently, I am only able to offer daytime appointments as all my evening slot times are all fully booked.
I work in safe and quiet settings based in Milton Keynes - Shenley Lodge MK5 & Stony Stratford MK11.
These locations are within easy commute of surrounding areas; MK1, MK2, MK3, MK4, MK6, MK7, MK8, MK9, MK10, MK12, MK13, MK14 & MK15.
If you would like to read some of the feedback I have received from clients, please click on the link http://www.sarahoaktherapy.co.uk/testimonials.html to my website.
If you require any further information about what to expect from counselling, please do not hesitate to email me with your question - firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for reading my profile and I hope to hear from you soon.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Stony Stratford - Therapy Room & toilet facilities are on the 1st floor. Shenley Lodge - Therapy Room is on the ground floor, toilet facilities are on the 1st floor. Both sites offer free, off road parking.
Currently, I am only able to offer daytime appointments as all my evening and weekend slot times are all fully booked.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|