Dr Miguel Montenegro - Clinical Psychologist & Supervisor
Thank you for looking into my profile.
I am a Clinical Psychologist offering psychological therapy to individuals over the age of 16. I am based in Liverpool but can see clients from any of the nearby cities. I work with most psychological difficulties such as anxiety and depression and have a special interest in trauma related difficulties.
My other area of expertise includes issues related to brain injury, dementia and learning disabilities.
I have a particular interest in working with hard to reach communities, and in particular people that identify as being from minority groups. I can carry out assessments of memory, attention, intelligence, personality and so on.
I supervise other professionals who provide counselling, psychotherapy and psychology.
If you would like to ask me any questions or book an appointment, I welcome you to either give me a text or call on 07496 190 738 or click here to send me an email.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have been working in the field of psychotherapy and psychology since 1994 where I first qualified in Portugal, and then went to volunteer in Western Africa for 2 years providing practical and psychological support for disaster victims experiencing severe trauma. I am passionate about the work I do and I believe that people can create change in their lives with the right guidance and support. In the UK and since 2007, I have worked for the NHS and charitable organisations. I have worked for: Mersey Care NHS Trust, the Walton Centre NHS Trust, St Helens NHS Trust; and St Andrews Healthcare.
At present, my work involves working with adolescents, adults and older adults experiencing a range of psychological distress and concerns. One branch of my work is with survivors of brain injury and their families (and other loved ones) to provide education and therapy for positive change and rehabilitation. My other work includes providing therapy for people facing life stress that may impact on their work and profession. I also work with people with long term conditions and often regarded as resistant to treatment, like personality disorders, bipolar, and learning disabilities.
I work from a range of models depending on your requirements. Therapies I use include
- cognitive behavioural (CBT)
- acceptance and commitment (ACT)
- Mindfulness-based therapy
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT)
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
I use these models interactively to help people achieve their goals. I am compassionate but inquisitive. My main priority is helping people feel empowered about their strengths, address their weaknesses, and focus on preventing relapse.
My academic qualifications include:
- BA Psychology with Criminology (2003-2006), University of Northampton
- MSc Child and Adolescent Mental Health (2006-2008), University of Northampton
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (2010-2013), University of Liverpool
- Professional Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling (2009-2012), Chrysalis/ Open University
- Postdoctoral qualification in Clinical Neuropsychology (2017- current), University of Bristol
Other training I have completed
- Diploma in CBT, DBT and ACT (2016), SDS/BPS London
- HCR-20 training - version 3 (2016)
- BPS Advanced Supervisor training (2015)
- Bond Solon Expert Witness training (September 2013)
- The Good Lives Model for working with Forensic populations (2006).
I'm a registered clinical psychologist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), and a Chartered Psychologist and Associate Fellow with the British Psychological Society (BPS) both with the division of Clinical Psychology and the Division of Neuropsychology. I'm also Fellow member of the National Counselling Society (NCS) where I am registered as an Integrative Psychotherapist, accredited Health and Clinical Psychologist with EuroPSY (European Psychology Network), and approved clinical supervisor with the BPS and NCS.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
Please contact me for fees. I have concessions for people on disability or unemployed.
There is also a low-cost or free alternatives, via Trainee Therapists being supervised by me.
I accept referrals from GPs, Solicitors and Case managers.
I also work with the following insurance companies if you are registered with them with health insurance, who may be able to pay the full session fees.
- AXA PPP Healthcare
Other work I do
- I carry out research and studies that are used to publish articles and present at conferences.
- I can provide staff with training on a range of topics.
- I have won several awards over the past few years for excellence in patient care. This year I have received an award by the Association for Psychological Therapies for submitting an example of my work with challenging behaviour.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Free on street parking for up to 2 hours. On-site reception area and on-site café. The building provides a safe area for clients of any background and diversity, and it is a very discreet building in the Baltic Triangle area close to John Lewis.
Fridays (9am-5pm) and Weekends
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
My supervising experience.