Michela Trainini BA DipHE MBACP
We all get stuck, from time to time. Sometimes it feels like we cannot move forward. It can be frustrating, constraining and painful. Yet there is energy behind every blockage, and looking at it from above – as if from a bridge – can be the first step to unlocking our potential. This is what I aim to offer to my clients.
My approach is creative, in that it adapts to individual needs. During our sessions, I will encourage you to explore and become aware of your patterns and identify where they become unhelpful. Follow the link to my website to find out how we can work together.
I practise in both English and Italian, and I have a proficient understanding of Russian. I also have the experience of living in a multicultural family (Italian and Arab), and I speak some Spanish, French and German, too. Whatever your background, I can offer the benefits of a culturally sensitive approach to your problems and challenges.
Face to face and Skype.
I have worked extensively with:
- Depression. I can help you understand your depression, make sense of the emotional shut down that you are experiencing, so that you can rebuild your contact and activity. This will improve your relationships and the quality of your life.
- Anxiety. We will work towards you gaining an understanding of your anxiety and its triggers. I will help you to find ways to manage it, breaking the cycles that perpetuate negative feelings and harmful behaviours, which are preventing you from enjoying life.
- Stress. We can work together on regulating your energies and reducing the tension associated with a protracted state of stress. You will experience the benefit of an approach that focuses on you and your available resources, and help you prioritise and feel in control.
- Bereavement and loss. Feeling bereft is the natural, unavoidable consequence of loss or major life changes, like leaving a home to build a new one. Both can leave you feeling as if you are going off track. I can help you understand your thoughts and emotions and manage the changes in your everyday life.
- Issues around identity. I can support you in managing whatever transition you are going through, exploring expectations, unspoken rules and the impact of change on your relationships. Flexibility is essential when you are creating a new identity whilst holding on to what you want to preserve. My personal circumstances made me particularly aware of this and my keen interest in multicultural counselling promoted a practice that remains open to your uniqueness.
- Relationships. Difficult relationships are frequently involved in the blockages we experience. Differences can make it hard to communicate, but they also come with a potential for growth. I can help you to explore those difficulties and build bridges to overcome them, to ultimately find that potential.
- Trauma and abuse. Daunting words, yet seeing what my clients could accomplish thanks to their willingness to work on traumatic experiences has led me to hold a hopeful vision of our capacity to heal. I can help you enhance that capacity and gently work with you to mobilise the energy that has remained trapped.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a qualified gestalt counsellor and a Registered Member of the BACP. I hold a First-Class Honours Degree in Foreign Languages and Literatures (Milan University) and a Diploma of Higher Education in Gestalt Counselling with distinction (Bucks New University).
I work for an agency that supports victims of sexual violence and domestic abuse, in groups and one-to-one and I am committed to my on-going professional development.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
I charge £40 for a 50-minute one-to-one counselling session. We will contract the number of sessions you will attend when you come for our first meeting. This can be extended if you require.
I aim to offer a discount when blocks of 6 sessions are booked and paid in advance (£220 for six sessions).
I also offer a reduced fee for students on a counselling course (£35.00 for a 50-minute session)
I accept cash on the day or a bank transfer (prior to sessions).
Fees are reviewed annually.
Cancellation Policy: I need 2 working days’ notice to cancel a session. This is because I would still have to cover the cost of hiring the room for your counselling session if you were to cancel last minute. I will charge £15 pounds for a session cancelled with a shorter notice.
I am a member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy and meet their criteria for practising. I abide by their Ethical Framework, which is available online.
The Framework sets out the expected principles, values and good practice standards for members. I am committed to those values and principles and recognise that my membership may be at risk if I fail to fulfil my commitments, which are first and foremost to my clients.