Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
This professional is available for new clients.
This professional is available for new clients.
Hello and a warm welcome.
Anxiety and depression can happen to anyone at any time. If you are feeling nervous, anxious or on edge, having intrusive thoughts or worries about lots of different things, feeling little interest in things you used to enjoy, or feeling down and hopeless, an initial session may help you to identify patterns of thinking or behaving that are keeping you stuck. CBT can help you to turn things around, and get on track to lead the life you would like.
I built my practice from 24 years of working in London-based, NHS primary care, secondary care and specialist trauma and perinatal services. Having trained with world-leading experts in the field of psychology, I am passionate about using my knowledge, experience and expertise to help young people and adults find relief from all forms of anxiety, depression and trauma.
Check my BABCP registration: https://www.cbtregisteruk.com/
Therapy was a massive help, Kathrine is a superb therapist and has amazing warmth and compassion as well as knowledge and analytical skills. I've improved a huge amount over a short period of time and my quality of life has improved markedly. Couldn't recommend her enough really, fantastic at what she does.
I wanted to thank you very much again for all your help over the past months and especially for your kindness. I found your methods and approach suited me really well. Hopefully I'll stay on the straight and narrow now! Though if I do need any more sessions I will be in touch.
My experience was amazing. It made me realise a lot about myself and behaviour. Katherine is a wonderful, caring person and I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to work with her as she has turned my life around and helped me to look at things in a totally new way. Thank you.
Just a quick note to say thank you for your help, understanding, patient, knowledge, expertise, teaching and empathy which you have shown towards me over the last few months! I truly believe the guidance you have shown me has enhanced my life.
Thank you so much for your support over the last few months. I've learned so much about myself and skills that I'll carry with me into the future. The help and support you've given me has been amazing and I can't thank you enough.
My therapy style
- Compassion & respect - It is not your fault for feeling the way you do. The way you feel may be a consequence of how the events and circumstances of your life shaped you. I can support you to feel safe, to develop the courage to take control and change what you want to change, without shame or blame.
- Shared understanding - Together we will make sense of your feelings and responses at times when you feel upset. It may be possible to trace how you respond today, back to your early life experiences and how you learnt to cope at stressful times. Sometimes they may even cause the problems in your life today. In developing a shared understanding of the problems you are experiencing, how they formed, and what may be getting in your way of making changes, you can start to see the necessary steps to take to break free from anxiety and depression.
- Partnership & Empowerment - I will work at your pace, giving you choice and control to decide what you would like to focus on while encouraging you to safely experiment with new ways. I believe you already have the resilience and resources within you to overcome difficult events but I understand that change is difficult. Feeling stuck can often undermine our sense of what we are capable of and lead us to believe that change isn't possible. I am committed to offering therapy that compassionately supports you to challenge your beliefs, to recognise your strengths, so you feel confident to face the things that are difficult about change.
- Quality - I use the best of my knowledge of the latest research and experience, to personally tailor CBT therapy to your unique needs. I will teach you skills that are proven to help people recover from anxiety and depression but I will encourage you to test me so that you find the solutions that work best for you. We will review your goals to measure any progress and to ensure we continue targeting the things that are most important to you.
How I'll work with you
The first couple of sessions will develop an understanding of the problem, how it developed and what is keeping it going. Together we'll identify some goals which will be the focus of treatment. An individually tailored plan for your treatment will be developed after the first couple of sessions based on your personal goals and needs.
If I think you only need a few sessions to help you get back on track, I will let you know. Equally, your therapy length will not be limited by a set number of sessions or by particular criteria.
If you would like to continue with the therapy after the first session we will agree a number of sessions followed by a review. We'll review your goals regularly to ensure that therapy is really targeting the things you need it to. You set the pace for therapy and can end it at any time.
My aim is to help you feel confident in the knowledge you can overcome difficulties using strategies learnt during therapy which you can continue to use in future, long after therapy has ended.
My professional background
I am fully accredited (BABCP) and experienced Cognitve Behavioural Therapist in Hythe and Folkestone, Kent. I bring together my specialist training in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR), Compassion-Focused Therapy, Exposure Response Prevention (ERP), Schema Therapy, Trauma-Focused therapies and addictions therapy, to enhance CBT therapy.
These approaches are effective in the treatment of anxiety, generalised anxiety disorder, depression, social anxiety, feeling sad, panic attacks, low self-esteem, family issues, phobias, low self-confidence, bereavement, nightmares, exam stress, trauma and addiction difficulties.
Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) offers the chance to step back, to take a look at what may be causing us to feel unhappy and teaches practical skills to change. CBT is recommended by The National Institute for Clinical Excellence, (NICE), as it is proven to be effective in the treatment of anxiety, depression and trauma.
Research shows CBT and EMDR can successfully treat
- Generalised Anxiety Disorder
- Social anxiety
- Low self-esteem
- Panic attacks
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Body Image problems
- Sleep difficulties
- Antenatal and postnatal anxiety
- Relationship and family issues
Book a FREE initial consultation
If you would like to find out more about how CBT can help, I offer a FREE initial phone consultation to discuss your difficulty and to help you decide if it is the right therapy for you.
If you would like to arrange a FREE initial consultation, please contact me on 07791848361 or email email@example.com
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a highly skilled therapist with 24 years' experience working in NHS specialist services and private practice as a senior psychotherapist and service lead.
I have extensive experience of working with both young people and adults, providing individual and group therapy that is driven by care and compassion and which is grounded in the evidence base.
My most recent NHS roles include Senior Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist with the survivors and bereaved of the Grenfell Tower fire, pregnant and postnatal women in mental health services and Deputy Clinical Lead and in Westminster's psychology service. Prior to this I specialised in offering therapy to adults and young people with addictions and offending behaviour.
I have a proven track record of helping young people and adults develop resilience to and recover from a wide range of mild, moderate and severe difficulties.
I offer supervision to other Cognitive Behavioural Therapists and for those in training who are working towards accreditation.
I offer Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy.
- PGDip in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: Distinction
I trained in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy at one of London's leading psychology departments, Royal Holloway University of London.
- MSc in Psychology: Distinction
I trained at Canterbury Christchurch University.
- Dip in Addictions: The Institute of Psychiatry (IoP), Kings College London.
- Gestalt Therapy: University of North London.
- EMDR Therapy: Sandi Richman
Sandi Richman is an accredited EMDR trainer and Consultant in EMDR. She was trained by the founder of EMDR, Dr Francine Shapiro and was a Consultant Psychologist for the Traumatic Stress Clinic at the Maudsley Hospital, London.
- Schema Therapy: Schema Therapy School. This is an attachment and compassion focused approach for supporting people with more complex difficulties.
- Compassion focussed therapy: Professor Paul Gilbert, Dr Deborah Lee.
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: Zindel Segal, Mark Williams, John Teasdale, based on the work of Jon Kabat-Zinn.
- I maintain up to date knowledge and skills within the field by regularly attending training and supervision in line with requirements for accreditation
- I am fully insured.
- British Psychological Society member (BPS)
- British Association of Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapy (BABCP) member: https://www.cbtregisteruk.com/
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
The BABCP is the lead organisation for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in the UK. Membership is open to anyone with an interest in the practice, theory or development of CBT. BABCP also provides accreditation for CBT therapists. BABCP accredited members adhere to the Standards of Conduct, Performance and Ethics in the Practice of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies, and are willing to be scrutinised in this adherence as required.
Accredited register membership
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Covid-19 anxiety, health anxiety, social anxiety, fear of public speaking, generalised anxiety.
£100.00 - £110.00
Free initial telephone or online session
Fees vary according to the type of treatment required and session length.
If you would like to discuss fees, please call me on 07791848361 or visit my website at www.hythecbt.co.uk
When I work
Weekdays, and evenings.