Karen Hurley, MBACP Registered Member (Being Heard Counselling)
Are you wanting to change, think about how to do things differently, or understand yourself a little better? Perhaps you are experiencing difficulties currently and have been thinking about attending counselling but are unsure what to expect?
Sometimes it can feel difficult to talk to those closest to us when we feel worried, anxious or uncertain. Through counselling I can support you to explore and understand your thoughts and feelings safely and without judgement. I am a warm and compassionate counsellor and can help you explore :
- how you are feeling
- how to understand and address problems and confusion
- how to manage uncertainty and change better
I am an integrative counsellor, working from a person centred perspective. This means I use a number of different types of counselling theories, depending on what you would like to talk to me about and, most importantly, what feels right for you.
I work with anyone aged 18 or over on a short or long term basis.
If you are considering whether you would like to try counselling and/or choosing a counsellor, I realise this can sometimes feel difficult. I hope the information in my profile will be helpful and please do contact me if you would like some further information to help you with this decision.
I am a registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and work in accordance with their Ethical Framework for Good Practice. I have regular supervision in accordance with the requirements of BACP and undertake ongoing Continuing Professional Development.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Certificate in Counselling - University of the West of England (UWE)
- Diploma in Professional Studies (Counselling) - University of the West of England (UWE)
- TA 101
- Working with Relational Trauma
- I have been working in private practice for the last 3 years.
- I have set up and managed counselling services for unpaid family carers.
- I am a member of the BACP Older Peoples Expert Reference Group and have experiencing of running counselling services for older people.
- Previously I have provided counselling in a GP practice and a charity supporting unpaid family carers.
I have a wide range of experience of supporting people with:
- low mood
- relationship difficulties
- family problems
- guilt and shame
- managing change and uncertainty
- work problems
- Illness and its impact on you and other people
- life changes
- being a carer and your caring role coming to an end
Before becoming a counsellor I worked in the NHS for 10 years as a Complaints and PALS Manager. I provided support to patients, their families and carers on a daily basis and am very experienced in supporting people in distress as a result of illness, disability or as a result of bereavement.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Work-related stress
- Initial session £25
- Subsequent sessions £40 per session
- Some concessions available - please ask for further details
- Fees are payable by cash at the end of each session, or by bank transfer 24 hours in advance
- All sessions are 50 minutes in length
Parking and public transport:
Free parking on site
Additional on road parking in the surrounding area, free after 5pm
Bike racks are available on site
Bristol Temple Meads Station is a 15 minute walk away
Buses: U1 stops directly outside the clinic / 500/501 stops on Coronation Road
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I work on the second floor of the building but lift access is available.
I currently have availability on Mondays; please contact me for further information.
Types of client