Counsellor, Dip(He), Reg MBACP
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently
verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
My name is James Hodgeon I’m a qualified therapeutic Person-Centred counsellor.
This humanistic approach works with the way that people perceive themselves raising awareness and understanding of the person. Working in the here and now focusing on the person as a whole facilitating and allowing the person to achieve greater independence and skills to cope with current and future issues.
Person Centred counselling is a theory which can help people work through life issues such as depression, anxiety, bereavement, life transitions, anger, to name a few.
I have over 30 years of experience working with mental health and emotional well-being, supporting people with life events that can be difficult to talk to family members and friends about.
My aim is to provide a safe supportive relationship, a calm and confidential space for you to feel heard and understood. Being non-judgemental in my attitude, my congruent manner and empathic understanding will provide the conditions necessary for change to occur as we work together to help you have a more fulfilling life.
I am a registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, MBACP. I trained at Leeds and Salford Universities for my graduate and postgraduate training.
I receive monthly supervision in line with the ethical framework of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, have full professional indemnity insurance and DBS checked.
I work with adults, older adults and trainees and this service is delivered face to face by telephone and video call.
Training, qualifications & experience
- British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy Registration 2021. (MBACP)
- Post Graduate Cert in Brief Therapies, University of Salford. 2009
- Cert in Understanding & Supporting people who self-harm. 2009
- Post Graduate Cert in Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, University of Salford. 2008
- Accredited Certificate UMBC Critical Incident Stress Management, Group Crisis Intervention. 2008
- HND BTEC Professional Diploma Level 5 in Therapeutic Counselling. (Edexcel), Keighley College. 2007 (Leeds University)
- Cert, Hidden Majority Workshop (Working with Abuse), Life Works. 2007
- 101 Cert Introduction to Transactional Analysis, Institute of Transactional Analysis. 2006
- Cert Brief Solution Focused Therapy, Skills Development Services. 2006
- Cert in Counselling Skills (Level 3). ABC 2005
- Cert in Counselling Concepts (Level 2) ABC 2004
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP)
BACP is one of the UK’s leading professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy with around 60,000 members. The Association has several different categories of membership, including Student Member, Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP, Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Accred) and Senior Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Snr Acccred).
Registered and accredited members are listed on the BACP Register, which shows that they have demonstrated BACP’s recommended standards for training, proficiency and ethical practice. The BACP Register was the first register of psychological therapists to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
Accredited and senior accredited membership are voluntary categories for members who choose to undertake a rigorous application and assessment process to demonstrate additional standards around practice, training and supervision.
Individual members will have completed an appropriate counselling or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but they won’t appear on the BACP Register until they've demonstrated that they meet the standards for registration. Student members are still in the process of completing their training.
All members are bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and a Professional Conduct Procedure.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
From £30.00 to £35.00
Free initial telephone session
Concessions offered for
- CPD Hub BACP Self Care. Fiona Dunkley. 2020
- CPD Hub BACP Broken Lives, Broken Brains, Broken Hearts-Find Joy in Healing the Residue of Trauma. Judy Crane. 2020
- CPD, Working with Trauma in a Time of Trauma. Carolyn Spring
- In House Mandatory Training Courses, Data Protection, Child / Adult Abuse, Health & Safety, DBS Checked.
- How to do Counselling Online: A Coronavirus Primer. The Open University and the BACP. 2020