Gillian Perrow CCETSW, REL CERT CC, MBACP
Qualified Counsellor with 30 years experience working with individuals couples and families, encouraging, supporting and empowering them to make positive changes. I also help people to see how they may be repeating types of behaviour and thoughts that impact on themselves and others.
I love working with people and supporting them with their emotional needs. I am passionate about enabling people to achieve a greater understanding of themselves and their relationship with others.
My interest in supporting people was sparked in my early career as a Nurse and Residential Social Worker. When my children were growing up I ran mother and toddler groups, and assisted in pre-play school groups and also worked at the school my children attended.
I have been involved with self-development of both myself and others for over 30 years. I have attended and led self-development groups in California, Israel, Holland, India, London and the West Country.
Once my children were older I trained as a Relate Counsellor and worked for Relate for 22 years.
Counselling can help with:
- More intimate and satisfying relationships
- Greater sense of self worth and self awareness
- Increased confidence and self esteem
- Feeling calmer and more relaxed
- Better communication skills
- Develop healthier patterns of relating to others
Counselling provides an opportunity to talk through issues in a clear, direct and honest way while working towards the changes you require.
My counselling approach is integrative, person-centred, psychodynamic and systemic, which means I have a range of approaches to draw from.
I look forward to helping you change your life in a positive way.
How I work
I offer Counselling for couples and families as well as individuals. Counselling can assist you to identify your own personal resources and capabilities, which can be hard to find during times of confusion, conflict or anxiety. Counselling can help you see your circumstances from a new perspective.
Through the Counselling process you will be encouraged, supported and empowered to make positive changes. As well as helping you cope with a current issue or crisis, we will identify tools you need for the future.
Some couples tend to come for counselling as a ‘last resort’ believing ‘it’s too late’.
Seriously consider taking action in time to make a difference, especially if:
- One of you is insecure, jealous or possessive
- You are often snappy or moody with each other
- Sex rarely happens
- Discussions become rows
- You can’t discuss feelings with each other
Couple counselling helps you understand each other by:
- Improving communication
- Helping you to express your feelings as well as your disagreements
- Exploring the conflicts in your present and previous relationships
- Forming healthier patterns of relating to others
I also work with people who are ending a marriage, civil partnership or a long-term relationship. I can help people going through this painful process to overcome emotional difficulties and develop the confidence to rebuild their lives.
Most families have arguments and sometimes these get out of hand. Big changes in a family, such as separation, divorce, re-marriage or bereavement, can cause stress for everyone. Equally an individual family member experiencing health problems, work stress or growing up issues, could impact on the rest of the family.
Family Counselling can reduce conflict which means fewer rows at home and can help everyone cope better with their situation.
Examples of where Family Counselling could help:
- Parents whose different ideas about parenting are causing friction
- Children/young people struggling with sibling relationships
- Parents and children who are struggling to communicate effectively
- Step-families struggling to integrate
In Family Counselling every family member can expect to have a voice and be heard.
I can help you to cope with a current issue or crisis, enabling you to identify the tools you need for the future, in order to appreciate and be kind to yourself. From this experience we can recognise and transform behaviours, accept change and move on.
Whatever your problem, you really don’t need to feel alone.
Training, qualifications & experience
- CCETSW Diploma (Residential Social Work 1972-1974)
- Playgroup Leader NVQ 2 & 3 (1982 -1984)
- Psychotherapy Course (1988 – 1990)
- Accredited Relate Couple Counsellor Rel Cert CC (1990 - to present day)
- Transactional Analysis Course (1990 – 1991)
- City & Guilds Adult and F E Teaching Certificate (1994 -1996)
- Relate Trainer Qualified (1996)
- Relate Family Counsellor Qualified (2005)
- Relate Therapeutic Mediator Qualified (2007)
- Non Violent Communication Training (2009)
- Member of British School of Counselling & Psychotherapy (MBACP)
I am committed to Continuous Professional Development and I attend conferences and training days regularly, to keep up to date with new developments in the field.
I am a member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and I adhere to their code of ethics. I am committed to working for the client’s best interest; practising confidentiality, having a transparent working contract and promoting the client’s right to make their own decisions.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Child related issues
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Tel Counselling £40.00
A reduction can be negotiated for those on low incomes or receiving benefits.Each session is 55 minutes long
Payment is by cheque or cash during the appointment or by prior BACS payment
£40 cancellation fee applies if less than 48 hours’ notice is given to cancel an appointment.
I offer an initial consultation for us to explore and clarify your needs. Clients usually see me for a further 6 to 12 sessions. I practice in the Health and Wellbeing Centre in Axminster.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer flexible working hours and prompt appointments.
Types of client