Dawn Lilburn MBACP Senior Accredited Counsellor/Supervisor and EMDR Therapist
It is natural to want to believe that we can deal with whatever life throws our way, but the truth is that sometimes it can feel just too much. Negative thoughts which we have previously kept under control can begin to get "louder" and in some cases seem overwhelming and contribute to a feeling of isolation.
I can help to lessen that feeling of isolation and work with you to find the best way forward so you can get back on with your life again.
I believe that everyone is different and work with my clients as individuals. What works for one person may not necessarily work for another. My integrative approach enables me to tailor my approach to suit each client. I work from a humanistic base, but also have a certificate in CBT for clients who prefer a more structured way of working. I enjoy working with my clients, helping them to rediscover stengths and to identify areas that might require the development of new resources, which we can work towards together.
I am originally from Newcastle, moving to York in 1987. Although working as a qualified counsellor since 2003, I only decided in 2009 to begin a small private practice from my home in York, where I work from a designated, confidential counselling room. Although not far from the centre of York, it offers plenty of free parking and the Park and Ride is only a short walk away.
Although I have fourteen years experience of working with a wide range of issues, I do have a special interest and extensive training in working with anxiety, trauma and PTSD.
Although I am able to offer a variety of ways of working, I have found EMDR to be an extremely effective method of treatment for anxiety, trauma and PTSD. It works by harnessing our natural problem solving ability. Sometimes it can be very difficult to talk about what makes us anxious. Unlike counselling, EMDR can work effectively without the need to go into the detail. More details can be found on my website www.dawnlilburncounselling.co.uk or by calling me on 07795093101 to ask any questions you might have.
Training, qualifications & experience
I began my counselling training in 1999 and completed a Graduate Diploma in Counselling at the University of York St John in 2003. My placements during training were with Victim Support, York Women's Counselling Service and York Rape Crisis.
I have 10 years qualified experience of working as a counsellor within the voluntary sector. This consisted of working in voluntary agencies, and within a generic counselling service mainly in GP's surgeries, offering short to mid term counselling to adults. I also worked as part of a specialised team offering mid to longer term counselling and EMDR to adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse.
I work with adult individuals (17 years and above).
I have experience of working short to long term with a wide variety of issues.
I am BACP Senior Accredited and UKRCP Registered.
I am also an Accredited EMDR Therapist and have a Diploma in Individual and Group Supervision.
I am Bupa Recognised.
- Treating Attachment Wounds with EMDR Therapy
- Pains, Parts, Illness and Identity
- Shame and EMDR
- Pains, Parts, Illness and Identity
- Healing the Fragmented Selves of Trauma Survivors
- Attachment Perspectives and Borderline Personality Disorder and Implications for therapy
- Cognitive Interweaves in EMDR
- Working with Dissociative Disorders in Clinical Practice
- EMDR Therapy and Mindfulness for Trauma-Focused Care
- Healing Complex Trauma and Dissociation with Ego State Therapy and EMDR
- Losing Sleep, how Psychotherapeutic Techniques can help
- Trauma, Dissociation and Recovery
- How to use EMDR for long term Depression
- How to use EMDR with clients with Autism
- How to treat OCD with EMDR
- Trauma and the Body: Somatisation and Dissociation
- Certificate in Occupational Stress Management
- Refreshing Supervision
- Mind-body Preparation for IVF
- Living and Working with Dissociation
- EMDR with People who dissociate and/or have DID
- Developing Skills for working with Traumatic Bereavements
- Therapist to Coach
- Managing Stress with Mindfulness
- Attachment and Trauma
- Diploma of Clinical Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy
- Certificate in N.L.P. Skills
- Diploma in Smoking Cessation Therapy
- Dilemmas in using EMDR in Time Limited Environments
- Temporal sequencing
- Certificate in Flexible CBT
- A Primal Look at Attachment
- Mindfulness based Cognitive Therapy
- EMDR Europe Training Parts 1, 2 and 3
- Diploma in Individual and Group Supervision
- Certificate in Counselling
- Key Approaches to Working with Clients
- Domestic Abuse Awareness
- Phobia and Present Anxiety EMDR Protocol
- EMDR and Bereavement
- Working Therapeutically with Couples
- Basic Awareness in Child Protection
- EFT Workshop
- Sleep Disorders and Mental Heath
- An Introduction to CBT
- Childhood Sexual Abuse and Adult Mental Health
- Supporting People with Eating Disorders
- Brief Solution Focused Therapy
- Overcoming Roadblocks in Trauma
- The Essential Toolkit for Running Groups
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Public Speaking etc.
My sessions last for 60 minutes each and generally take place weekly.
My fees currently:-
Counselling £50.00 per session
EMDR £55.00 per session
A combination of Counselling and EMDR £55.00 per session
Supervision £50.00 per session
Both my email and mobile answerphone are confidential and I would welcome contact in either way to discuss any questions or concerns you might have about working together.
I always try to respond to any messages left the same day.
Once contact has been made and we are both happy to proceed an appointment would be made to meet for an assessment session.
I offer week day and evening appointment times to suit your requirements.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I work Mondays, Tuesday, Wednesdays and Thursdays during the day. I am able to offer sessions between 9 am and 7pm, but only work with a maximum of 5 clients per day.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am a BACP Senior Accredited Supervisor.View supervision profile