Dawn Lilburn EMDR Europe Accred. BACP Snr Accred Counsellor and Supervisor
It is natural to want to believe that we can deal with whatever life throws our way, but the truth is that sometimes it can feel just too much. Negative thoughts which we have previously kept under control can begin to get "louder" and in some cases seem overwhelming and contribute to a feeling of isolation.
I can help to lessen that feeling of isolation and work with you to find the best way forward so you can get back on with your life again.
I believe that everyone is different and work with my clients as individuals. What works for one person may not necessarily work for another. My integrative approach enables me to tailor my approach to suit each client. As an EMDR Europe Accredited Practitioner I am able to offer this as a stand alone therapy or to integrate it into the work if this would be beneficial for the client.
I work from a humanistic base, but also have a certificate in CBT for clients who prefer a more structured way of working. I enjoy working with my clients, helping them to rediscover strengths and to identify areas that might require the development of new resources, which we can work towards together.
I am originally from Newcastle, moving to York in 1987. In 2009 I decided to begin to build a small private practice from my home in York, where I work from a confidential counselling room. Although not far from the centre of York, it offers plenty of free parking and the Park and Ride is only a short walk away.
Although I have 17 years experience of working with a wide range of issues, I do have a special interest and extensive training in working with anxiety, trauma and PTSD.
Although I am able to offer a variety of ways of working, I have found EMDR to be an extremely effective method of treatment for anxiety, trauma and PTSD. It works by harnessing our natural problem solving ability. Sometimes it can be very difficult to talk about what makes us anxious. Unlike counselling, EMDR can work effectively without the need to go into the detail. More details can be found on my website www.dawnlilburncounselling.co.uk or by calling me on 07795093101 to ask any questions you might have.
Training, qualifications & experience
I began my counselling training in 1999 and completed a Graduate Diploma in Counselling at the University of York St John in 2003. My placements during training were with Victim Support, York Women's Counselling Service and York Rape Crisis.
I have 17 years qualified experience of working as a counsellor. This consisted of working in voluntary agencies, within a generic counselling service mainly in GP's surgeries, and latterly in private practice.
I have also worked as part of a specialised team offering mid to longer term Counselling and EMDR to adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse.
I work with adult individuals (17 years and above).
I have experience of working short to long term with a wide variety of issues.
I am BACP Senior Accredited and UKRCP Registered.
I am also an Accredited EMDR Therapist and have a Diploma in Individual and Group Supervision.
- Treating Attachment Wounds with EMDR Therapy
- Retiring the Inner Critic
- EMDR G-TEP Remote Individual and Self-Care Protocol
- EMDR Therapy with Train Drivers
- How to Stop Nightmares
- Working with EMDR Online
- Intergenerational Trauma
- Memory Reconsolidation, the Flash Technique and EMDR
- Pain, Parts, Illness and Identity
- Shame and EMDR
- Healing the Fragmented Selves of Trauma Survivors
- Attachment Perspectives and Borderline Personality Disorder and Implications for therapy
- Cognitive Interweaves in EMDR
- Working with Dissociative Disorders in Clinical Practice
- EMDR Therapy and Mindfulness for Trauma-Focused Care
- Healing Complex Trauma and Dissociation with Ego State Therapy and EMDR
- Losing Sleep, how Psychotherapeutic Techniques can help
- Trauma, Dissociation and Recovery
- How to use EMDR for long term Depression
- How to use EMDR with clients with Autism
- How to treat OCD with EMDR
- Trauma and the Body: Somatisation and Dissociation
- Certificate in Occupational Stress Management
- Refreshing Supervision
- Mind-body Preparation for IVF
- Living and Working with Dissociation
- EMDR with People who dissociate and/or have DID
- Developing Skills for working with Traumatic Bereavements
- Therapist to Coach
- Managing Stress with Mindfulness
- Attachment and Trauma
- Diploma of Clinical Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy
- Certificate in N.L.P. Skills
- Diploma in Smoking Cessation Therapy
- Dilemmas in using EMDR in Time Limited Environments
- Temporal sequencing
- Certificate in Flexible CBT
- A Primal Look at Attachment
- Mindfulness based Cognitive Therapy
- EMDR Europe Training Parts 1, 2 and 3
- Diploma in Individual and Group Supervision
- Certificate in Counselling
- Key Approaches to Working with Clients
- Domestic Abuse Awareness
- Phobia and Present Anxiety EMDR Protocol
- EMDR and Bereavement
- Working Therapeutically with Couples
- Basic Awareness in Child Protection
- EFT Workshop
- Sleep Disorders and Mental Heath
- An Introduction to CBT
- Childhood Sexual Abuse and Adult Mental Health
- Supporting People with Eating Disorders
- Brief Solution Focused Therapy
- Overcoming Roadblocks in Trauma
- The Essential Toolkit for Running Groups
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Public Speaking etc.
My sessions last for 60 minutes each and generally take place weekly.
Counselling £50.00 per session
EMDR £60.00 per session
A combination of Counselling and EMDR £60.00 per session
Supervision £55.00 per session
Concessions offered for
I work Mondays, Tuesday, Wednesdays and Thursdays during the day. I am able to offer sessions between 9 am and 7pm, but only work with a maximum of 5 clients per day.
Both my email and mobile answerphone are confidential and I would welcome contact in either way to discuss any questions or concerns you might have about working together.
I always try to respond to any messages left the same day.
Once contact has been made and we are both happy to proceed an appointment would be made to meet for an assessment session.
I offer week day and evening appointment times to suit your requirements.