Andrew Baker MBACP MNCS(Acc) MHS
I am an Integrative Psychotherapist and Counsellor. The “integrative” approach to counselling allows a practitioner to draw on multiple models, theories and tools in order to provide a course of therapy tailored to the needs of the individual client. The famous American psychologist, Abraham Maslow said, “If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail”. To that end, rather than specialise in a single form of therapy I have studied several of the most effective and commonly used. These include:
* Person Centred Counselling
* Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
* Transactional Analysis (TA)
* Cognitive Hypnotherapy
* Mindfulness & Mindfulness Based Therapy
* Human Givens
* Stoicism - How to be happy and content without a struggle.
However, all my treatments tend to be underpinned by “Mindfulness” which is a meditative technique.
Maslow also said, “What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself". I have always believed that the route to greater happiness for any individual is through a greater understanding of himself/herself.
I like to keep up with the latest developments in neuropsychology and implement this knowledge in my work when appropriate.
For more details, please see my website: mindwisepsychotherapy.co.uk
Training, qualifications & experience
Professionally trained, qualified and National Counselling Society accredited*, I work with individuals, couples & families in Bournemouth where I am based at Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital. I am also a registered member of the BACP (MBACP).
I hold an Advanced Professional Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapeutic Counselling.
I abide to strict rules of professional ethics and confidentiality and hold the necessary public liability insurance for psychotherapy, counselling and hypnotherapy.
I have experience of delivering counselling in the NHS under the IAPT scheme.
Since obtaining my professional diploma I have undertaken further courses to expand and deepen my knowledge and expertise.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Child related issues
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Gestalt therapy
- Human Givens psychotherapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Person-centred therapy
- Psychoanalytic therapy
My fees are generally £60 per hourly session for individuals or couples counselling.
Familiar issues with which I may be able to help:
- Stress, anxiety, panic attacks, phobias.
- Lack of confidence, low self-esteem, poor self-worth.
- Depression, hopelessness, inability to cope, feeling overwhelmed or lost.
- Bereavement, grief and loss, emptiness.
- Habits and addictions.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), self-defeating behaviours.
- Eating disorders.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
- Relationship or marital issues.
- Emotional outbursts, anti-social behaviours.
- Tendencies to think and/or behave irrationally or unrealistically.
- Issues arising from sexual, physical, psychological or emotional abuse.
- Sexuality or identity issues.
- The desire for personal development.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Mondays to Fridays. 2pm - 7pm.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|