Alison Carter BA (Hons) Counselling & Psychotherapy/Supervisor MBACP
I am an experienced integrative counsellor and registered with the BACP.
Integrative means that I have been trained in more than one theoretical approach.
In order to find the best way to help you achieve your goals and the results you want from therapy, I use all my training and knowledge of these theories within my therapeutic framework.
At some point in our lives, most of us will experience some emotional and/or relationship difficulties. Counselling can provide a safe and confidential place to explore these; it may then be possible to develop an awareness of these difficulties and to make sense of what is happening in your life. Counselling can enable you to maximise personal choices and potential which can lead to a more fulfilling and satisfying life. Whether these difficult feelings or experiences are happening now or have happened in the past, I believe that therapy can offer a chance to heal and develop.
I work in a way which can help you to explore your feelings and thoughts, around issues such as bereavement, relationships, low self-esteem/confidence, depression, anxiety, stress, anger, bullying, self harm, eating disorders, abuse and traumatic experiences. In creating a safe, confidential environment I can give you the opportunity to be heard and listened to, some time and space to explore your feelings and thoughts, so you may reach a better understanding of yourself and your relationships with others.
I work with individuals, couples and young people. I have a flexible approach to sessions; brief intervention work - for short term problems, which can be a reaction to a life event. Longer term therapy - for difficulties you may have been struggling with over a longer period of time.
I have found that one of the most important factors in obtaining a successful outcome from therapy, is the working relationship between the client and therapist. I welcome you to contact me if you have any questions about me or therapy.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BA (Hons) Counselling and Psychotherapy - University of Southampton - where I studied an Integrative approach, blending the theories of the three main schools of counselling.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling Children and Young People - University of South Wales
- Advanced Diploma in Counselling - based on the Humanistic school of counselling.
- Certificate in Therapeutic Supervision (level 6) - Counselling supervision within a Humanistic Integrative context including: Inskipp, Proctor and Page and Woskett Cyclical Model of Supervision.
I have also studied courses in:
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) - which is very suitable for short term work.
- Family and Couple Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Human Development
- Human Sexuality
- Traumatic Effects
- Loss and Grief
- Building Self-Esteem
- Assessing Clients for Short-Term Counselling
- Working with Sexual Abuse
- Suicide and Self-Harm
- Working with Young People and Substance Misuse
I have worked in a variety of settings, both in the voluntary and private sectors. As a counsellor for an organisation for young people, and in hospitals, working with issues arising from long term illness (for the patients and their families), I have experienced clients coming from varied cultural and social backgrounds, presenting issues such as depression, loss and grief, relationship issues, anxiety, occupational stress, attachment issues, abuse, eating issues, anger, bullying and low self-esteem.
Please see my website for more information.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Bipolar disorder
- Child related issues
- Eating disorders
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I also offer personal therapy for student counsellors at a reduced fee.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
Photos & videos
- £40.00 per individual session (1 hour)
- £45.00 for couples
- £30.00 for under 25's
Some concessions may be available so please ask me
- £40.00 per hour
I am a member of the BACP and work to their code of ethics
I am fully insured and DBS checked
Wheel chair accessibility
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime, evening and weekend appointments available
Types of client
Supervision & training
As part of my independent practice I offer supervision, in Hordle near Lymington to qualified or trainee counsellors. .View supervision profile