Karen Hodgson UKCP/MBACP Psychotherapist EMDR Consultant
0759 5509 053
A warm welcome to my profile
Since qualifying in 1999 I have generated over 15,000 thousands counselling hours working as a psychotherapist.
Who are my accrediting bodies?
I am an EMDR Europe Accredited Consultant Accredited by EMDR UK & Ireland, a UKCP Registered Psychotherapist and a BACP Registrant experienced in integrating a variety of psychotherapeutic interventions to meet a wide range of psychotherapeutic treatment needs. The main theoretical orientations I apply include:-
- Person CentredTherapy
- Solution Focused
- Psychosexual Therapy
- Psychodynamic Therapy
- Marital/Relational Therapy
- Hypnosis & Psychotherapy
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)
Who am I trained to work with?
I have undertaken specialised training to work with individuals and couples face to face and online.
I have accumulated several thousands hours of experience dealing with couples since doing my training with Relate.
Do I work online?
I do offer online therapy. You would need to contact me to ascertain whether this method of therapy would be appropriate for you.
What issues do I regularly deal with?
I regularly facilitate a wide range of issues which although not exhaustive,
- Poor self image low self esteem:- thinking yourself not to be not good enough, not worthy enough, not acceptable or likeable enough. Low self confidence, difficulties within friendships or making/sustaining friendships or intimate relationships, thinking yourself to be a failure ir needing to be perfect.
- Relationship issues, including affairs, betrayals of trust, communication difficulties, relationship breakdown or threats to leave the other, a general feeling of dissatisfaction or a lack of safety within the relationship, loss of spark/libido or other difficulties within the sexual/intimate part of your relationship.
- Infertility, miscarriage, adoption, death of a child or spouse, Grief and loss, multiple loss or delayed grief. Loss of your old self. Loss of concentration. Mid life crisis, ageing. Not feelbig safe enough. Difficulties in letting go. Feeling stuck, unable to move forward in your life, procrastination.
- Post Tramatic Stress/trauma symptoms such as avoidance of going to places that remind you of the trauma, avoidance of thinking about the traumatic event, social withdrawal, hyper-arousal, significant disturbed sleep or disturbing dreams, self medicating to alleviate emotional pain or other disturbances. These symptoms may continue to persist after a violent assault, robbery, after a road traffic accident, a natural disaster, surgical trauma, rape, prolonged sexual or physical abuse including childhood abhse or neglect. This may cause you symptoms or a diagnosis of Post Traunatic Disorder (PTSD), an anxiety disorder caused by very stressful, frightening or disturbing events.
- Depression/low mood, stress/hyper-tension, guilt, anxiety, general feeling of unhappiness, feeling alone or lonely, emotional distress, loss of direction, anger related issues, performance anxiety, phobias, loss of meaning in life/general feeling of emptiness and the search for more spiritual enlightenment, difficulties in trusting others or your own judgement or struggles in developing or maintaining meaningful relationship.
- Psycho-sexual issues which are psychological in origin and not physiological and may include anxiety around your sexual performance, perhaps causing difficulties in gaining or sustaining an erection. Avoiding sex with your partner, causing problems in your relationship, or feeling sexually inhibited or experiencing a loss of desire or interest in sex within a loving relationship, or perceiving sex as dirty or shameful.
As an integrative therapist I combine or use as stand alone different approaches tailoring the therapy to your psychotherapeutic needs, for example:-
This therapy grew out of the practices of Sigmund Freud and commonly holds that our childhood history shapes our personality. It is a form of psychoanalysis which attempts to uncover unconscious thoughts or desires that are affecting mood and behaviour as well as explore a whole range of conscious self limiting emotions and beliefs. It is often used to help overcome symptoms of depression or mood disorders. In a report covered in the American Psychologist in 2010 which looked at studies on psycho-dynamic therapy and depression, it showed that not only is this therapy as effective as other evidence based therapies such as CBT, yet had longer lasting benefits.
This approach lies at the core of my work as a therapist. The prime purpose is to promote personal growth through offering you a safe and non threatening environment that is accepting, empathic, and congruent.
Couple Counselling/Marital Relationship Therapy
Whether you are married, single, cohabiting, Hetrosexual or LGBT, I endeavour to offer a caring and supportive environment to help you work through struggles in communication and facilitate the resolution of a wide range of problems within intimate relationships. Marital therapy is a relatively short term structured approach which involves insight orientated, cognitive behavioural and solution focused approaches. The dynamics of couple therapy are often more complex than individual therapy. As such, the skills of a trained couple therapist are, I feel, imperative to help you better deal with a complex range dynamics which present themselves during the course of couples therapy.
When a person is involved in a stressful event they may feel overwhelmed and unable to reprocess information like normal memory. EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing), is a psychotherapeutic treatment method used to reduce distressing memories and symptoms of trauma.These symptoms may have arisen more recently or persist from the distant past still causing you to experience disturbances now. You may be re-experiencing what you saw, heard, tasted or felt. This can be quite intense. EMDR therapy helps to unblock disturbing emotions, thoughts and sensations around a traumatic memory of an event towards a more preferred permanent way of thinking and feeling.
According to the EMDR U.K. & Ireland Association there is a "wealth of research" conducted showing the benefits of EMDR.
EMDR is increasingly being used to alleviate distress for other types of disturbing memories such as depression, anger, performance anxiety and bullying.
Here is a link from the EMDR UK & Ireland website (http://emdrassociation.org.uk/research/) regarding a woman engaged in EMDR therapy revisiting her intense experience of being bullied. It is featured on Radio Four.
Brainspotting is a brain based psychotherapy approach that uses our field of vision to find not only where our brain is holding trauma, but also to locate the negative experience in our brain. In brainspotting it is assumed that wherever we look affects the way we feel because when we look in different places we feel differently. If a person is thinking about a problem and is looking to the left, or looking to the right, or up or down, in one spot they will feel more activation and in another spot they will feel less. A brain spot is the location where we feel the most activation. When focusing at this exact pinpoint area whilst mindfully observing what goes on inside, processing then takes place. The brain will find where the activation or disturbance is held in the system and will start to unwind it until it really gets to a point of resolution over time.
A brainspot is a point in your field of vision that correlates with whatever problem has brought you into therapy. It correlate with whatever you are holding in your brain. When you are looking out of that spot in your field of vision, you are also looking in at that spot in your brain.
Solution Focused Therapy
This therapy focuses on solutions rather than problems and is goal orientated. It focuses on what is possible and changeable. This therapy can be useful for clients who are goal oriented and looking to change a particularly aspect of their life.
Usually you will have ruled out with your GP or medical consultant any physiological reason for your current sexual issue as psycho-sexual symptoms commonly derive from psychological or cultural origins. It may arise due to a guilty conscience, fear, stress, worry, fear, depression, emotional/mental trauma, conflicts between religious or family values expectations, poor early sex education all of which can cause confusion, shame and feelings as if sex is dirty. Difficulties in your relationships including power, control and anger can also manifest themselves into sexually related issues.
This is a form of psychotherapy that uses hypnosis. Hypnotherapy can be used alone as a form of relaxation, or it may be integrated with other forms of psychological schools of thought. Hypno-psychotherapists like myself are trained to deal with more complex psychological, emotional or physical conditions, including habit disorders or personal or social inhibitions or conditions that are limiting your quality of life.
My overall aim when working with you
I provide a confidential space for you to explore your presenting issues, offering a therapeutic relationship which has warmth, depth, safety, compassion, calm, impartiality and fidelity.
I recognise there can be no change without challenge, so at times appropriate challenge, without judgement, is applied where necessary to help you gain greater insight into yourself and move forwards towards improved mental, emotional and physical and more fulfilling wellbeing.
Where do I work from?
I primarily work from a dedicated consulting room based in Eccleston, Chorley. The room has a warm ambiance, is airy with lots of natural light.
Please note that I do not do home visits.
What other therapeutic settings have I worked in?
Previously I worked for Relate marriage guidance, a University's Student Services, a Well Women Centre, Cruse Bereavement Care and at a male Prison.
What else do I do?
I also offer supervision to counselling practitioners trained and in training.
I offer professional support to facilitators on prisoner rehabilitation programmes within a Prison Service, and with various Employment Assistance Programmes using short term solution/CBT therapy. I also work with Insurance Companies, including a major private Medical Health Insurance Company, Solicitors and Occupational Health
Do I have supervision?
It is an ethical requirement to engage in regular supervision to ensure that high quality of standards are being maintained. I have monthly supervision with three different supervisors to monitor my work within the different theoretical orientations I offer.
Life before therapy, what else have I done?
Prior to becoming a therapist, I worked in Education as a Lectuer in Further and Higher Education in the Department of Business Studies and Sport & Leisure Management.
Aged 16, I started work straight from school. My first job was with a company called Courtaulds PLC where I worked as a Sales Clerk. I was fortunate to secure day release there for four years studying Business Studies. Subsequently I took on various roles, including selling advertising space for Thomson Local Directory and working for Toyota car sales.
By the end of the 1980's I began a new career as a Lecturer. During this time I began to develop an interest in training to be a Counsellor, especially due to my growing interest in student welfare and helping others to be the best they can be and live more contented fulfilling lives.
I love the work that I do yet try to ensure I manage a good work/life balance. Past interests have included Martiall Arts, (Tae Won Do and Karate). I moved onto running (albeit not that fast) and managed to complete six Marathons. My marathon days are over now after an Achilles rupture.
I enjoy many simple things in life like my family life, travelling around cities, and walking, mainly in the Lake District. I have just completed the 3 peaks with my family. I enjoy mindfully taking in the beauty and tranquility of the environment around me. I occasionally do Yoga and swim most weeks.
Training, qualifications & experience
- EMDR Europe Accredited Consultant (2016)
- Certificate of Proficiency awarded by the BACP Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (2013)
- Accredited member of the EMDR Association, (UK, & Ireland, 2012)
- Trained in Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing, (EMDR Europe/Ireland, 2011)
- Registered with the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP, 2009) (Hypno/Psychotherapy Section)
- Audited and audit approved by the UKCP (April 2010)
- Advanced Diploma in Hypno/Psychotherapy, (ADHP) awarded by the National Council for Hypnosis & Psychotherapy (NCHP, 2009) after completing (with distinction) a Dissertation on Pain Management using Hypnosis, leading to UKCP Registration
- onlinecounsellors.co.uk (online counselling training), (2006)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Hypno/ Psychotherapy, Centra Training (2004)
- Certificate in Basic Sexual and Relationship Therapy, UCLAN (2004)
- Relate Certificate in Marital and Couple Counselling Theory and Practice, RELATE (2003)
- Cruse Bereavement Care Accredited Counsellor (Chorley & S. Ribble) (2003)
- Cruse Bereavement Care Supervisor (Chorley & S. Ribble) (2002)
- Diploma in Casework Supervision, PCCS awarded by ABC (2002)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Psychological Studies, UCLAN (2001)
- Advanced Diploma in Person Centred Counselling, Wigan & Leigh College, Centra (1999)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Professional Studies in Education, Open University, (2004)
- Masters Degree in Education, Open University, (1996)
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Studies, UCLAN (1990)
- Certificate in Education (FE, Business Studies) Bolton University (1988)
- HNC Business Studies Bolton University, (1986)
- BTEC National Diploma in Business Studies Bolton College (1984)
CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT 2009-2011
- Effective Anger Management, (Harrogate, 2009)
- Understanding Identity, Exploring Differences and Challenging
Prejudice, (Harrogate, 2009)
- Nurturing Young People's Mental Health through the Counselling
Relationship, (Oldham, 2009)
- Exploring Creative Ways of Building on Young People's Resillience, (Oldham, 2009)
- Exploring Trauma Faced by Young People, (Oldham, 2009)
- Good Practice in Counselling Assessment, (Oldham, 2009)
- EMDR Accredited Practitioner, EMDR extra 18 hours (York, 2010, 2011)
- Living with Dissociation. PODS workshop. 6 hours (Leeds, 2011)
- Understanding and Working with Self-Harm. A psychotherapeutic Approach. 6 hours (York, 2011)
- 3rd EMDR Autumn Workshops & Conference. 6 hours (Durham, 2011)
- Emotional Freedom Techniques Tania A Prince Associates (EFT) 12 hours Levels I & II (Manchester, 2011)
- Body Image Disturbance in Eating Disorders & the Application of EMDR in Treatment. Pam Virdi. 6 hours. (Birmingham, 2011)
- Dissociation, Trauma and Time-Travelling or Living and Working with Dissociative Identity Disorder (Preston 2011)
- EMDR Accreditation Group 24 hours (Chorley, 2010)
- Hypnosis for Easybirthing (Manchester, 2012)
- Mindfulness (2012)
- Person Centred Encounter Weekend. Maximum of 20 hours. (Kendal, 2012)
- EMDR & Veterans Skills Master Class, The Northern Centre Mindfulness, 6 hours (York, 2013)
- Person Centred Encounter Weekend. Maximum of 20 hours (Kendal, 2013)
- Introductory Mindfulness Practitioner Foundation Course (York, 2014)
- Person Centred Encounter Weekend. Maximum of 20 hours (Kendal, 2014)
- Sex Offending - Sex addiction Pips North West 12 hours (Manchester, 2014)
- Neuroscience and Psychodynamic Theory Webinar nscience (2015)
- Assessment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from an attachment Perspective. nscience 12 hours. (London, 2015)
- EMDR & Psychosis Conference. Lancashire Care Foundation Trust. 6 hours (Lancaster, 2015)
- EMDR for Perinatal Trauma, OCD and Morbid Jealousy Workshop. North West EMDR Regional Group UK. 6 hours (Bristol, 2015)
- EMDR Conference 6 hours (York, 2015)
- EMDR Uk & Ireland Consultancy Training 27 hours (London 2016)
- EMDR Conference 6 hours (Newcastle, 2016)
- nScience PTSD Therapeutic Options & Considerations 7 hours (London, 2016)
- Working with perfectionism with Windy Dryden 2 hours (2016)
- EMDR and Depression 3 hours (Birmingham, 2016)
- EMDR for people with Aspergers 3 hours (Birmingham, 2016)
- EMDR Workshop Blind to Therapist Protocol 6 hours (Birmingham, 2017)
- EMDR Europe Conference, "The Psychotherapy of the 21st Century 14 hours (Barcelona, Spain 2017). Seminars included: child abuse, brain development and psychotherapy. Treating complex PTSD. Complex trauma, attachment and dissocation using EMDR with children with pervasive emotional dysregulation, healing attachment wounds and the relationship between dissociation and psychosis.
- Brainspotting Humanitarian Training, Phase 1. 3 days. 24 hours (Manchester, 2017).
- Working with the body in EMDR therapy, 6 hours, (Birmingham, 2017).
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Child related issues
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Ageing and mid-life crisis and life transitions.
Separation/Divorce and impact on family system
Work/Home life balance
Confusion around sexual orientation
Raising low mood.
Counselling for the elderly.
- Performance anxiety
- Presentation anxiety
- Weight loss
- Pain management
- Confidence building
- Smoking Cessation
- Fears and phobias
|loss of a loved one
injury of a loved one
witness to violence
victims of violent crimes
anxiety or panic
post traumatic stress
brooding or worrying
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Group therapy
- All sessions require an initial consultation. For individuals and couples face to face sessions the cost is £80.00 for a 60 mins session.
- EMDR/Psychotherapy £80.00 for 60 mins
- For online counselling live Skype and email me for terms and conditions and costs for working online.
- EMDR Supervision/general orgeneral supervision please email for costs and availability details
CANCELLATION & CONFIDENTIALITY POLICY
In the event of cancellation you will need to give me 48 hours notice otherwise this will incur the FULL cost even if you re-schedule your appointment. All cancellations need to be made during a working week mon-fri 9 a.m. to 5 pm Mon- Fri (excluding bank holidays) I usually ask you to pay for the late cancellation prior to your next appointment by forwarding a request for payment via Paypal. You do not need to have a Paypal account to pay via this payment method.
I adhere to a strict code of ethics. The information you provide during the session(s) will remain confidential, unless in certain rare circumstances where there is concern for your safety or that of others. If you have paid for a session in advance and cancel with more than 48 hours notice 9 am to 5 pm mon-fri (excluding bank holidays), your will be fully refunded.
Payment can be made via:-
- Paypal (please send an email to email@example.com to ask for a request for payment
- Google (please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for a request for payment.
- Bank Transfer
More information on EMDR
EMDR stands for Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing. It is a psychotherapeutic procedure that originated during the '80's in the United States, designed to treat traumatic or dysfunctional memories and experiences, and their psychological consequences. In addition, it is now used for a variety of symptoms including bullying, harassment, accidents, victimisations, grief, anxiety, panic disorders, pain, sexual dysfunction and a wide range of experientially based disorders. It is a recommended treatment for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, (PTSD), by The National Institute of Clinical Excellence, (NICE).
EMDR may be used as a stand alone treatment by itself, and/or or as an adjunctive therapy alongside "talking therapy" and/or hypnosis.
One unusual element in EMDR is bilateral stimulation, usually in the form of eye movements, or bilateral auditory or tactile stimulation. There is a great deal of evidence that bilateral stimulation speeds up the reprocessing of disturbing emotional or traumatic material, and at the same time helps you, the client, feel safer in making contact with traumatic material. A number of replicated research trials have demonstrated that eye movements reduce the vividness of emotional and traumatic imagery. It is believed that the eye movements induced in EMDR, mirror the natural eye movement process that occurs in the REM (Rapid Eye Movement) phase of sleep, during which information is processed naturally.
An EMDR therapist should always firstly carry out a careful psychological assessment of whether EMDR would be suitable for the problem (s) presented, and will elicit a memory representing the problem. You will be asked for a picture that represents the memory, a negative belief that you have about yourself in relation to the memory, and to notice associated physical sensations. Thereafter, a number of sets of eye movements or other bilateral stimulation are commenced, and after each set of eye movements the therapist will ask you what you have noticed. Typically, the images, emotions, and sensations experienced change through this process. At some point these changes become more positive and adaptive as you reprocess old dysfunctional information and connect with presently held adaptive and functional information. The aim is always to enable you to recollect the original traumatic material without disturbance and to have new and more adaptive beliefs about themselves in relation to the experience.
With "simple" or "one off" small "t" traumas EMDR can be remarkably rapid in its effects. More "complex" big "T" trauma, and/or multiple trauma treatment can take much longer.
Many insurance providers that cover standard counselling & psychotherapy, also cover EMDR services. Please contact your insurance carrier for further information.
- Also registered with Hypnotherapy Directory
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Chorley Tues, Wed & Thurs 9 am to 7 pm. Morland, near Penrith: Mondays only in the morning/early afternoons
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I offer EMDR supervision and supervision for integrative orientations which reflect my approach as a therapist.View supervision profile