Dr Sally Pears
19 Caribou Way
07757 550 519 / 07757 550 519
“You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
Life is challenging – it’s not easy. My aim as a therapist is to help my clients increase their ability to cope with life’s challenges and to live vital and meaningful lives.
I offer confidential face-to-face counselling and psychotherapy in the Cherry Hinton area of Cambridge. My standard fee is £40 for a 50minute session. I offer brief (less than 20 sessions), and long-term (20+ sessions) therapy. I work with adults and young people (16yrs+) experiencing a range of difficulties, such as:
- Body image
- Disordered eating
- Exam stress
- Feeling sad
- Health anxiety
- Low confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Loss of meaning and purpose
- Relationship issues
- Sleep problems
- Social anxiety
I do not believe that one type of therapy is the right fit for everyone. I, therefore, practice from an integrative therapy approach, which means that I incorporate various evidence based techniques from different schools of psychotherapy and adapt my therapeutic approach for each individual and their particular situation. My core orientation is humanistic-existential psychotherapy, but I also incorporate Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT).
A basic assumption of ACT is that suffering is a normal and unavoidable part of human experience and that it is actually people's attempts to control or avoid their own painful experiences that leads to much long-term suffering and what doesn't work in people's lives. ACT helps people learn ways to let go of the struggle with pain, be more mindful, get clarity on what really matters to them, and to commit to living full, vibrant lives. The goal of therapy is not to eliminate certain parts of one's experience of life, but rather to learn how to experience life more fully, without as much struggle, and to live a rich, full and meaningful life.
I believe that what is unique about my approach is it is about much more than the problem of human suffering – it’s about reaching beyond suffering to the larger purpose of people's lives and helping them get active in really living.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a Registered Member of the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP). Registration Number: 361158.
- PhD Psychology – University of Nottingham, UK.
- MSc Physical Activity and Health – Loughborough University, UK.
- BSc (Hons) Psychology – University of Nottingham, UK.
- Level 4 Diploma in Counselling – AIM Awards.
Training & experience
I have studied and worked in the field of psychology, wellbeing, and behaviour change for the past eighteen years. Before training and qualifying as therapist, I completed a BSc and PhD in Psychology from the University of Nottingham, and I worked for many years as a behaviour change researcher.
As a practitioner it is vital to keep expanding my knowledge and understanding. I do so by attending continuing professional development courses and workshops, and staying informed about recent developments and research in psychology, psychotherapy, and counselling. Recent workshops have included:
- NICABM Working with Clients Who Feel "Never Good Enough" 2018
- NICABM How to Work With Shame 2018
- Mastering ACT - Advanced Skills Workshop 2018
- Yalom and the Art of Psychotherapy 2018
- NICABM Treating Trauma Master Series 2017
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) for Anxiety and Depression 2017
- Working with Addiction 2017
- Working with Body Image Dissatisfaction 2016
- CRUSE Awareness in Bereavement Care 2016
- Attachment Therapy 2016
- Working with Death and Other Existential Issues 2015
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Eating disorders
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Loss of meaning and purpose
Body image dissatisfaction
Self-worth and self-esteem
Loneliness and isolation
Photos & videos
My fee is £40 for a 50-minute session.
* I aim to respond to all enquiries within 3 working days. If you have not received a reply from me within this time, please check your junk/spam email folder.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer a range of morning, lunchtime, afternoon, and early evening sessions on weekdays and weekends.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|