Neil Keenan (CTA, MUKCP)
I am a psychotherapist working with adults and children in private practice in North Bristol. I offer a confidential space to talk about the difficulties you might be experiencing and to explore the positive changes you can make. If you want to enhance your enjoyment of life and your important relationships, I'll be happy to meet with you to discuss how counselling or psychotherapy can help you achieve those goals.
Counselling and Therapy for Individuals
People can feel overwhelmed as they move into the next stage of their life, which brings new challenges. Some find they are repeating past mistakes, which are emotionally painful, but they do not know how to do things differently.
My clients are often experiencing crisis in their life and seek support to help them to make changes to habitual and intrusive feelings and thoughts that limit their joy of life. Such thoughts and feelings often lead to behaviour that can damage relationships and the quality of life. Such issues include:
- eating disorders
- drug and alcohol addiction
- unfulfilling family relationships
- low self-esteem and confidence
- and confusion regarding sexual orientation and gender.
These issues can be explored and resolved in psychotherapy, which results in real changes in the individual's way of life, improved relationships and an ability to maintain joy in the face of current problems and pressures.
Counselling for Couples
I have much experience working with couples, and I understand that the way people experience themselves in a relationship is often very different to how they feel when with friends and other family members.
This means that the counselling needs to be tailored to meet the needs of each individual in the relationship, as well as the needs of the relationship itself, so it can flourish and provide an environment where you can experience joy in life and in one another.
Children and Young People
I hold a Master's level postgraduate qualification in counselling children and young people. I have worked for a number of years as a visiting consultant in secondary schools across North Bristol, and so I understand the challenges young people are facing in today's society. In addition, I am the executive director of a Bristol-based charity, which provides counselling and psychotherapy across the West Country.
Autism & Asperger Syndrome
My specialist training and work with clients who have high-functioning autism (Asperger Syndrome) has greatly helped many people with this different thinking style, and has been reported in the national press: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5923425/Failed-NHS-Lukes-autism-left-suicidal-hes-thriving.html.
I work closely with clinical supervisors, and, when necessary, with other outside agencies, such as GPs, schools and local mental health professionals. I always consult with clients and work with them when advocating on their behalf to outside agencies. I follow the codes of ethics of the European Association for Transactional Analysis (EATA) and the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP). I am a Certified Transactional Analyst registered with the United Kingdom Association for Transactional Analysis, and I am accredited as a Psychotherapist by the UKCP.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Transactional Analysis 101 Verification Certificate;
- Foundation Certification in Transactional Analysis with Application to Psychotherapy, Contact Point, Registered Training Establishment of the United Kingdom Association for Transactional Analysis;
- Advanced Certificate in Transactional Analysis with Application to Psychotherapy, Contact Point;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Transactional Analysis with Application to Psychotherapy, Contact Point;
- Postgraduate Advanced Diploma in Transactional Analysis with Application to Psychotherapy, Contact Point.
- Certified Transactional Analyst.
- UKCP Registered Psychotherapist.
- Post-Qualifying Diploma in Counselling Children and Young People, Level 7 (Master's).
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Photos & videos
£45 per 50-minute session for individuals
£65 per 75-minute session for couples
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Russian - Fluent 2nd language|
Monday to Friday, daytime and evenings
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|