Hilary Adams MBACP Regd
01483 420248 / 07765357879
Thank you for taking the time to view my profile. As an experienced counsellor and psychotherapist, community and intergenerational mediator, mother of two and, for many years, a practising solicitor, I bring a broad range of skills and life experience to my counselling practice. I gained extensive experience working for 6 years in a large sixth form college, counselling 16-18 year olds and staff, working in learning support and teaching adult students counselling skills and theory.
Professional Practice - I am a fully qualified and experienced professional practitioner, registered with the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (No. 076599). I adhere to the BACP Ethical Framework for Good Practice which means that the service I provide is confidential and I engage in regular supervision.
My Approach - I am trained in an integrative model of therapy, drawing on psychodynamic, person-centred and cognitive behavioural approaches as appropriate. My work with each client is tailored according to what they bring to the sessions and how they wish to approach matters.
My view of therapy is that it is very much a collaborative process between counsellor and client - research consistently demonstrates that it is the quality of this relationship (rather than the particular model used by the counsellor) which has the greatest influence on the outcome. I therefore place great emphasis on building a trusting and supportive working relationship with each client, enabling them to talk openly about their issues in a safe environment, free from judgement or expectation.
Getting Started - if you are interested in working with me, please email me or give me a call (if I'm not available to answer, do leave a message and I'll call you back). An initial session, without any further commitment, will then give you the opportunity to explain what you would like to get from counselling and to decide whether I am the therapist you would like to work with.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BACP Accredited Degree in Integrative Counselling (commendation) - University of Greenwich
- Counselling Skills and Theory Levels 1,2 & 3 NCFE
- Certificate in Mental Health Awareness Level 2 NCFE
- Registered Membership of the BACP, including Private Practice division (the BACP Register is approved and quality assured by the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care)
Community & Inter-generational Mediator
MA(Hons) Law - University of Cambridge
My theoretical model is Clarkson's Five Relational Integrative Model.
In accordance with the BACP Ethical Framework, I undertake regular professional and personal development. Recent training includes:
- Introduction to Couples Counselling
- Neuroscience of Addiction
- Attachment and Addiction
- Helping Clients make Better Relationship Choices
- Cutting Edge of Psychotherapy - the Unspoken Voice (body psychotherapy)
- Working with Avoidant Attachment
- Mindfulness in the Therapeutic Relationship
- Guided Imagery and Visualisation in Therapy
- Introduction to Solution focused Brief Therapy
- Working with Goals in Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Attachment in Psychotherapy workshop
- Stress and Burnout workshop
- Self-esteem, communication and Assertiveness workshop
I now work in private practice. In addition to 6 years' counselling and teaching in a sixth form college, previous experience includes volunteering for a Salvation Army drop in centre and for Surrey Women's Aid. Many years in legal practice gave me a broad understanding of the business world and the pressures of the workplace, including the difficulties encountered by working mothers. I have also experienced long term health issues and the losses that can follow from these.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
£25 for an initial appointment
£45 for subsequent appointments (all appointments are 60 minutes long)
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime and evening appointments available, Mon- Thurs
Types of client