George Myburgh Registered MBACP
Hi, my name is George and thank you for visiting my page.
Taking the first step into having counselling can be difficult and so I offer a free 20-minute telephone consultation or if easier for you, we can communicate via email. If we agree that we may be a suitable fit, we will arrange a face-to-face appointment at a convenient time at my room in central Guildford. We will have a discussion about the best way to move forward including whether you'd like to undertake short- or long-term counselling. Unfortunately I only have Monday time slots available at the moment.
How Counselling Works
So what’s in it for you? For starters you will have someone to talk to. You will also have someone help you regain some direction and control which will lead to positive personal growth. You will get the support you may need to help you let go of fears and anxieties which are getting you down. Counselling offers a safe and confidential space in which you can talk about things that are on your mind. I do not give advice or provide answers but I do help you find new perspectives on how to manage your life. We might look at practical strategies to help you cope with issues such as Anxiety and Stress or to gain an understanding of Depression.
Every person is different and therefore requires a unique approach to resolving concerns. Counselling can help you find your footing and build you Self-Esteem to aid you in making better choices now and in the future. My job is not to offer advice but rather to help you realise your own power in finding the answers you need.
I offer individual counselling to adults have experience of working with the issues named above but also:
- Generalised Depression
- Shame and Guilt
- Gender Identity / Dysphoria
- Social anxiety
- Relationship issues
- Redundancy / Retirement
- Acute Male Depression
- Bereavement and Loss
- Thoughts of Suicide / Self-Harm
- Sexuality / Coming Out
I work from a comfortable and private office in Guildford. If you want to know more about the nitty-gritty of my counselling style, please read on:
I am an Integrative counsellor which means that I am trained in different approaches to the work. I use aspects of Sensorimotor Psychotherapy which maintains a gentle curiosity about your processes and how your body responds to them, Psychodynamic theory which explores the impact your childhood experiences has on your adult life, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) to help you identify negative thought patterns and how they influence your behaviour and also aspects of Solutions-Focused therapy which is a collaborative approach to using your existing coping strategies to help you.
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Foundation Degree in Integrative Counselling
- Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Certificate in Mindfulness and Contented Living
- BA (Hons) in Integrative Counselling
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Level I
- Working with Gender Dysphoric Children, Adolescents and their Parents - Dr Vic Holt, 2017
- EMDR: The Elevator Pitch Essentials - Mark Brayne, 2017
- Narcissism in Clients,Psychotherapists and Society - Dr Phil Mollon, 2016
- Managing the Erotic Transference - Dawn Devereux, 2016
- The Healing Power of Therapeutic Repair – Dr Janina Fisher, 2016
- Transgender Awareness Training – Ipswich LGBT Network, 2015
- The Place of Sexuality in the approaches of Klein and Bion – University of Essex CPS, 2015
- Mental Health Awareness – Open Road, 2015
- First Aid (including Ambulance Patient Transfers) Certificate - EDMS
- Working therapeutically with Personality Disorders – Anna Vizor, 2014
- Substance Abuse and Legal Highs – Open Road, 2014
- LGBT Helpline Training – Outhouse East, 2014
- Knowing and not knowing in the consulting room – Patrick Casement, 2013
- Safeguarding Adults – British Red Cross, 2012
- Safeguarding Children & Young Adults – British Red Cross, 2012 and UCS, 2015
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Relationship issues
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Family issues, affairs and betrayals, separation and divorce, low self-esteem, low self-confidence, gender dysphoria, mental health, South Africa, transitions, counselling
Counselling sessions are offered on long or short term basis which will be discussed prior to the beginning of the work.
A free 20 minute confidential telephone consultation or we can have a conversation via email prior to us meeting for the first time which will give you the opportunity to ask me questions about the therapy, my fees or any concerns you may have about the counselling process.
My fee is £55 per hour for individuals.
Unfortunately session availability is limited to Mondays at the moment.
My office hours are as follows:
Monday - Friday: 9am till 8pm
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|