Elaine Nicholson MBE MBACP - Asperger's syndrome/autism specialist
I am a qualified counsellor with a masters degree in autism and post-grad certification in Asperger's syndrome. I am also a parent of children (now grown up) who were both diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum (Asperger's). I have also recently separated from someone who identified themselves as being on the spectrum (Asperger's) after a 25 year relationship, but we are now happily resigned to a future as "friends". I have written many articles about Asperger Syndrome/autism. In November 2018 I spoke at The World Autism Congress about "what works when counselling lives affected by autism". This talk I give to counselling organisations within the United Kingdom also, helping to train counsellors/therapists on how to succeed with autistic clients and their families. In Her Majesty The Queen's birthday honours in 2016, I was awarded an MBE for my services to Asperger's syndrome. I founded the charity actionforaspergers.org in 2008, and remain very much a part of the organisation, working half of my time for them, with the other half of my time being spent working from my private practice elainenicholsonmbe.co.uk. I have consulted with many different ages from 3-100, and have accrued thousands of hours consulting this client group and their families.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MA PGC DMS MBACP FRSPH
- Shame, the crippling emotion ~ Leicester University ~ 31.5.03
- Erotic transference and countertransference ~ Leicester University ~ 7.12.02
- Speaking through our dreams ~ Leicester University ~ 9.11.02
- Expanding dream awareness ~ Leicester University ~ 1.3.03
- Loss Death and Bereavement ~ Leicester University ~ July 03
- Envy as a healing process ~ Leicester University ~ 13.3.04
- Creative Non-directive work with Children, Dr Garry Landreth 9 June, 2007
- BAPT Conference, Brunei Gallery, London
- Visual Supports The National Autistic Society -22.5.07
- Autism Spectrum Disorder & Mental Health ~ Dr Fiona Knott et al ~Reading University 2011
- Int. Conference on Autism ~ (Autistic Intelligence) ~ Prof. Tony Attwood et al ~ Torquay 2011
- My Town Tiggers Annual Autism Conference: "Research, Reality & Rock 'n Roll" ~ Professor Simon Baron-Cohen et al ~ Blackpool 2011
- Diagnostic Issues, Dr Judith Gould, November 2011, The Lorna Wing Centre for Autism.
- Computers and Autism, Research Autism/Lorna Wing, November, 2011, Westminster
- PTSD following childbirth – 2012 University of Reading
- Traumatic Bereavement – 2012 University of Reading
- Working with Survivors of Sexual Abuse -2012 University of Reading
- Using CBT to address Insomnia – 2012 University of Reading
- CBT for Eating Disorders – 2012 University of Reading
- CBT for PTSD in Children- 2012 University of Reading
- OCD – 2012 University of Reading
- Understanding ADHD - March 2016, Nottingham Mental Health Institute.
- ADOS-2 Training – 2016 Pearson
- BACP Children and Young People Conference – London 2016
- Adult Offenders with an ASD in the Criminal Justice System – 2017 Broadmoor Hospital.
- Drugs awareness – 2017 in-house training through Blue Knight Ltd
- DBT Accreditation – Level 1 - 2017 through The Association of Psychological Therapies
- Safeguarding Children in Charities – London Conference – Jan 2018
- Certificate in Hypno-Psychotherapy - National College of Hypnosis and Psychotherapy 2017
- Cambridge Body Psychotherapy Centre - Diploma 2017-current
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy - APT - August 2020
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Asperger's/neurotypical relationship issues/couples counselling
Higher functioning autism
£75 per hour for counselling
£325 for academic, non-clinical (gateway) assessment for autism.
I operate competently not only face-to-face but via video counselling. I was one of the pioneers of this method of counselling and can use most video mediums.