Carol Titley MA UKCP Reg
The Amber Zone
13 St Marks Crescent
44-46 Reading Road
07500 603 480
I am a highly qualified and experienced psychotherapist/counsellor with a well established practice in Henley-on-Thames. I receive many of my referrals from a local GP practice.
I have a warm, compassionate, empathic and collaborative approach.
I am trained in humanistic integrative psychotherapy. In practise this means that we will discuss what your needs are, and will work together in the way that is most appropriate to you.
Integrative therapy draws upon an understanding that our sense of self is developed early in life in the context of family and community. Patterns internalised as a young child continue to impact us throughout our life unless they are consciously brought into awareness and modified appropriately.
Because we are formed and re-formed through our relationships, the way the client and therapist interact - the relationship we build together - becomes central to the therapy. This relationship will vary depending on the needs and goals of each client. Research consistently suggests that the quality of the therapeutic relationship is the most significant component in successful psychotherapy.
Underlying the success of psychotherapy is that you as client feel accepted without judgement. I will meet you with curiosity, compassion, and a belief in your ability to change. I will help you develop skills in greater self awareness, so that more of your life energy is available for living creatively, as a spontaneous expression of yourself. Learning to live out of your own self with awareness is the key to breaking habitual and unhelpful ways of living.
Prior to training as a psychotherapist I worked for 16 years for the Probation Service, specialising in working with offenders with alcohol addiction, anger management and mental health problems in both one to one and group settings.
Since setting up in private practice in 2003 I have developed substantial experience in couples counselling.
I have undergone rigourous long-term psychotherapy which I believe is essential to being a safe and effective therapist. I have first-hand knowledge of the difficult feelings that can be experienced, but I also have certain knowledge of how psychotherapy can liberate and transform.
I am bound by the code of ethics of the UKCP and am fully supervised and insured.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Masters Degree (Distinction) in Integrative Psychotherapy (MA, Middlesex University)
- Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy (Dip Psych) Minster Centre
- Cert. Working with Domestic Violence - Minster Centre
- Cert. Underlying Dynamic Psychology of Counselling and Psychotherapy - Lincoln Institute
- CQSW (Certificate of Qualification in Social Work) Reading University
- I have many years experience in a variety of counselling settings working with a wide range of issues, and have worked as a Psychotherapist in the NHS.
- I have been working in Henley in my private practice for 15 years.
- I have specialised for many years of my career in the field of addiction (alcohol, drugs, food, sex, internet addiction, relationships, shopping, shoplifting, etc) working in both the public and private sectors and as an individual and group therapist in a private chemical dependency rehabilitation facility. Whilst working in this facility I also set up and ran a therapeutic group for (the often neglected) family members.
- I served as a trustee on the board of a national alcohol charity for 8 years from 2003-2011. During that time I was also a member of a Home Office working party exploring ways to improve working with offenders with alcohol addiction.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have an expertise in working with alcoholism, both with sufferers and family members.
I increasing see adults who have grown up in a family where one or both parents abused alcohol or drugs. I work in a way that helps Adult Children to understand how their childhood experiences have shaped their attitudes, behaviour and choices today.
I also have a particular interest in early loss, separation and absence of 'good enough' parenting, as well as working with adults who have a history of childhood abuse, whatever its form.
- Individuals - £75 for a 60 minute session.
- Couples - £90 for a 60 minute session.
- Payment can be made by cash or cheque at the end of each session.
- Concessions are available and reserved for on-going clients who meet with financial difficulties during the course of their therapy.
- I work right in the centre of Henley-on-Thames, all day on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday and Saturday mornings. A large free car park is available to clients.
- I work in Maidenhead one day a week, on Friday. Street parking is available.
- Flexible appointments are available. Please phone or email for further details.
- No charge for an initial telephone conversation prior to booking a Consultation
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client