Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
This professional is available for new clients.
This professional is available for new clients.
I am an experienced BACP Accredited Counsellor/Therapist currently working with Couples and Individual Clients face-to-face in my counselling room in Diss, South Norfolk and online or phone with Individual Clients UK wide and locally including Norwich, Attleborough, Thetford, Stowmarket, Bury St. Edmunds and Ipswich.
I offer long and short-term counselling and therapy to Couples and Individual Clients aged 18 and above.
What happens in a Counselling Session?
- We meet at my counselling room in Diss or online via Zoom or on the phone. Please note that I only offer face - face sessions for Couples.
- I create a safe, confidential environment where we can work practically and creatively with what is worrying you.
- I am down to earth and offer a non-judgmental, empathic relationship where you can build trust and be with yourself and me just as you are.
How can counselling help you?
My approach is Person Centred which means that I will listen very carefully to you and respect and value your experience without judgement as a basis for all our work. I will be responsive to the way that you need to work and can provide a flexible integrated approach to suit you. Generally through talking about your experiences in the world, we will pay attention to how emotions occur in you, your thoughts and how they connect with how you feel in your body. Each person is individual but as we work together in this way there are general outcomes that most clients experience such as:
- Becoming more self-aware of how things happen inside you.
- Having more understanding of your internal conflicts
- Forming a clearer picture how present and past social expectations, systems and conditions emerge for you and becoming more aware of the choices you may have around how you relate to them.
- Being able to trust your internal experience of yourself and feel more confident to use that as a guide in relationships and the outer world.
- Getting to know yourself in new ways and have a new understanding of things that have been difficult for you.
- Feeling both more positive and less overwhelmed by negatives.
- Being able to make decisions that support you to feel more self empowered.
- In Couples/Relationship Counselling. I will aim to hold the balance between you, to act as a mirror reflecting back what I observe, to raise awareness of the impact of your responses and behaviour on each other, to become aware of patterns and to find ways to communicate and manage conflict that supports you positively as a couple.
How to get started
- Phone or email me to arrange either of the following 2 options.
- Option 1.An initial 20 minute free Zoom or phone consultation - where you can briefly talk about what has made you look for counselling/support and ask me questions to see if I am the counsellor for you.
- Option 2. A full 1 hour therapy session @ full cost where we have more time to work with what you are bringing.
- Arrangements for ongoing sessions will be made at this point.
A bit about me
I was born and brought up in England and at 18 studied performance at a London Music College and then went on to get a Post Graduate Certificate in Education. At the age of 28, I moved to the Isle of Mull in Scotland where I lived for 25 years. There, I became immersed in the community, taught music in schools, brought up my daughter, ran my own B&B and Self Catering business and latterly became business manager of a social enterprise. In 2012 I moved off the island, completed my Post Graduate Counselling Diploma at Strathclyde University, Glasgow and have gained much experience working solely as a counsellor in various settings and private practice ever since. I moved back to England in 2020 and am delighted to be able to continue offering counselling in Diss and UK wide.
Training, qualifications & experience
Postgraduate Diploma in Person Centred Counselling, Strathclyde University.
GPTI Diploma Course in Gestalt Psychotherapy, Edinburgh Gestalt Institute Yr 1
Cosca Counselling Supervision Certificate
Level 1 and Level 2 TRE (Trauma Release and Tensioning Exercises).
(This is an autonomous body practice that is very supportive for getting in touch with what the body is holding.)
Certificate in Counselling Skills and Theory, University of Highlands and Islands.
Various short trainings including Psychodrama, Attachment Theory, Play Therapy, Perinatal Psychosis, Family Constellations, Solution Focused Short Term Therapy, Trauma and Internal Family Systems
Experience of large and small group work.
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
BACP is one of the UK’s leading professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy with around 60,000 members. The Association has several different categories of membership, including Student Member, Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP, Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Accred) and Senior Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Snr Acccred).
Registered and accredited members are listed on the BACP Register, which shows that they have demonstrated BACP’s recommended standards for training, proficiency and ethical practice. The BACP Register was the first register of psychological therapists to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
Accredited and senior accredited membership are voluntary categories for members who choose to undertake a rigorous application and assessment process to demonstrate additional standards around practice, training and supervision.
Individual members will have completed an appropriate counselling or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but they won’t appear on the BACP Register until they've demonstrated that they meet the standards for registration. Student members are still in the process of completing their training.
All members are bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and a Professional Conduct Procedure.
Accredited register membership
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£45.00 - £50.00
Free initial telephone or online session
Individual clients £45 per 60 minute counselling session. Couples £50 per 60 minute counselling session Payments due on the day of the session via online banking.
Cancellation policy. Cancellations made within 24 hours of a booked session for any reason incur the full session charge. Cancellations made outwith 24 hours of a booked session are free.
When I work
Sessions last for 60 minutes and the start times are:
8.30am, 9.45am, 11am, 12.15pm, 2.00pm, 3.15pm, 4.30pm, 5.45pm
There may well be flexibility around these times if you need it.
I offer face to face counselling in Diss, South Norfolk. The counselling room is lovely space dedicated to the work. It is situation on the first floor and can only be accessed via stairs.