Sue O'Brien BSc (Hons) Systemic Counselling MBACP She/her
I understand that life, past and present, can be a bitch - it can slap us in the face so hard it can be a struggle to get through the day. Sometimes there aren't any solutions - unfortunately there are things we cannot change - but, we can change how we cope with them. Giving ourselves the space to feel heard, respected and validated can at the very least bring us some peace, but more often it brings a reassurance that we are not broken, that our bodies and emotions are simply reacting to our experiences, and from there, things can start to shift.
I'm a systemically trained counsellor with existential thinking - my role is not to tell you what to do - instead it's about using our therapeutic relationship to explore your relationships and the impact your experiences are/have had on your life and wellbeing. Sometimes you just need the right questions to discover that you have the answer to the way forward - I'd like to help you find the right questions.
If you want to check out whether we can work together, we can arrange a complimentary 30 minute session.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BSc (First Class Hons) Systemic Counselling
- Certificate in Telephone and Online Counselling
- Advanced Training for Trauma Treatment of Complex PTSD
- Substance Misuse Awareness
- ASSIST Brief Suicide Intervention
- Treating Generalised Anxiety and Panic Attacks
- Introduction to Safeguarding Children and Young People
- Introduction to the Sesame Approach Workshop
- First Aid at Work and AED Training
- Using compassion and body awareness to help people make peace with food
- Supporting male victims of sexual abuse
- Stabilisation work in complex trauma counselling
- Working creatively with post trauma states, dissociation and addictions
- Practical counselling strategies & interventions in addiction work
Working with survivors of domestic abuse and violence: addressing the needs of male and female counselling clients in the UK
- The dilemmas of working with risky adolescents
- Supporting children who have experienced early years’ trauma and broken attachments on childhood development
- Difficult behaviour is the language of distress. It’s loud and clear – Who is listening?
- Safeguarding: navigating dilemmas, decisions and conflicts inside and outside the therapy room
- How to reduce anxiety in students and young people
- How to Break the Cycle of Depression
- Effective Anger Management
- From Stress to Psychosis: how to prevent mental illness
- Effective brief psychotherapy
- Understanding Anxiety – and managing it without drugs
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£70.00 per session
Free initial online session
Concessions offered for
- Standard fee £70
If you'd like to check out whether we can work together, we can arrange a complimentary 30 minute session
Contact me for current availability