Karys Varker, MSc Psychology, BSc Psychology, Dip. Couns, MBACP
The Exeter Mind and Body Clinic
07976 389720 / 07976 389720
Do you want to relieve pain and distress caused by depression and anxiety? Do you want to work towards a better relationship with your loved ones or have a space to talk openly about what you’re currently experiencing in life? Are you feeling alone with what you’re experiencing, and would you like to be listened to in a manner free from judgement and opinion?
My name is Karys Varker and I'm a qualified Integrative Counsellor and Psychotherapist offering counselling and psychological therapies to individuals in the heart of Exeter. I will work with you in a collaborative manner so that through therapeutic discussion you are able to discover the underlying issues, emotions, and triggers that are contributing to your psychological distress. My aim is to support you in finding the answers you need to help you to increase your overall wellbeing, bring about positive changes and gain a greater sense of control in your life.
I work in a calm and sensitive manner in a quiet location in Exeter city centre that offers a safe space in which you can freely discuss the difficulties and challenges that you are facing in your life confidentially and securely. No issue is too big or too small and my aim is to offer you support, warmth and respect and work with you at your own desired pace.
Also, as I work as an Integrative Counsellor I'm able to draw on different techniques and exercises from a range of counselling, psychotherapy, and psychological therapies in order to tailor the counselling to your own individual needs to help you to achieve your goals and desires. I also feel that my experience of working in a psychological and health care setting adds an additional dynamic to our work together as I have acquired further knowledge surrounding mental health issues, relationship types and patterns, and attachment styles, which may allow for a deeper awareness of the issues that you are experiencing.
I specialise in working with people experiencing Depression and Anxiety Disorders including Social Phobia, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, Specific Phobia, and Health Anxiety. I also work as a Psychological Well-being Practitioner for the NHS providing Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to people with Depression and Anxiety
The Issues I work with:
I work with adults, and adolescents and I also specialise in working with students at college, university, and individuals undertaking their counselling training.
I am experienced in working with a range of issues including
- Generalised Anxiety Disorder
- Panic Disorder
- Social Anxiety
- Relationship Issues
- Low Self-Esteem
- Life Stresses
- Family Issues
- Workplace Stress
- Being a carer
This list is not exhaustive and a more extensive list of the issues that I'm able to help you with can be seen below. However, if the issue that you’re experiencing isn’t listed below then please contact me as I may still be able to help you.
In addition to working for over 4 years as an Integrative Counsellor with my own private practice in Exeter City Centre I also:
- have 3 years’ experience of working as a Counsellor for Counselling for Carers which is a counselling service that offers low cost counselling to adult carers in Devon.
- I work as an Assessor for Counselling for Carers where I assess carers and allocate counsellors to them who will best suit their needs.
- I am a fully insured individual member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and therefore I work within the guidelines of the BACP Ethical Framework for Good Practice which you can view here: http://www.bacp.co.uk/ethical_framework/
- I come from a psychological background whereby I have conducted research into the workings of the mind, human emotion, and the psychology of human relationships
- I have experience as a counselling client myself
- I continuously engage in training and professional and personal development so that I am able to offer the highest level of service to you that I can
- I am currently studying at The University of Exeter towards my Postgraduate Certificate in Low Intensity Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- I also work as a CBT Therapist for the NHS specialising in working with people with Depression and Anxiety Disorders including Social Phobia, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, Specific Phobia, and Health Anxiety
Training, qualifications & experience
PGCert in Low Intensity Psychological Therapies Practice-currently studying at The University of Exeter
BACP Accreditation-currently working towards
Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling-Devon Counselling College
Level 3 Award in Counselling Skills-Devon Counselling College
MSc Social and Organisational Psychology-The University of Exeter
BSc (Hons) Psychology-The University of Birmingham
BACP Certificate of Proficiency
Continued Professional Development Training
-An Introduction to Trauma
-Working Therapeutically with Adolescents and Young Adults
-Transactional Analysis (TA)
-Resolving Conflict in Relationships
-Autism & ADHD Awareness
-Working Therapeutically with Older Adults
-Health and Wellbeing
-Motivational Interviewing for Behaviour Change
-Behavioural Activation for Depression
-Cognitive Restructuring for Depression
-Worry Time for Anxiety
-Problem Solving for Anxiety
-Exposure and Habituation for Phobias and Social Anxiety
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I also offer the following Psychological Therapies for a more directional approach:
Exposure and Habituation Therapy: for Phobias and Panic Disorder
Behavioural Activation: for Depression
Cognitive Restructuring: for Depression
Worry Management: for Anxiety
Problem Solving: for Anxiety
Motivational Interviewing for Behaviour Change
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Gestalt therapy
I offer individual counselling on both a short-term and long-term basis. Daytime, evening and weekend counselling sessions are currently available.
I offer face to face or telephone sessions.
Each 60 minute counselling session costs £40.
Limited reduced price counselling sessions are available to school, college, and university students and individuals with financial constraints on request.
Please contact me if you would like a FREE initial 30 minute phone call or a 30 minute face to face session for a small charge to discover if I am the right Counsellor for you!
Thank you for taking the time to visit my profile. If you have any questions then please do not hesitate to contact me by email, phone, or leave me an answerphone or text message and I’ll endeavour to contact you as soon as possible.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Evening and weekend sessions are also available.
Types of client