Jo Keane Counsellor & Clinical Supervisor Registered MBACP
Hi I'm Jo, I'm a Humanistic Counsellor and CBT therapist and am registered with the BACP. (Membership 050808).
Depression, anxiety, low self-confidence, and self-esteem are issues we all develop from time to time or can be caused by experiencing significant trauma or change. Together we can look at issues you are facing and find a way forward that suits you.
I have specialist knowledge in domestic abuse and have worked with survivors of abuse and trauma for the last 12 years. Previously I have worked with homeless young people, worked in various refuges and worked with organisations such as Dorset Action on Abuse, Dorset Rape Crisis and Enough abuse.
How can I help?
I can offer long or short term therapy to suit you. I work with a person-centred basis which means that I place a great deal of importance on developing a counselling relationship to ensure you feel secure and in control which helps us unpick any issues that are troubling you. I also use CBT tools and techniques to help you consider your thought process, emotions and behaviours which increase and maintains your mental well-being. CBT is highly effective in managing stress and anxiety especially in the work environment.
Some of the benefits of counselling are:
- Having a safe secure space to explore how you feel
- Regaining control of your life and thought processes
- Increased confidence and self-esteem
- Increased trust in yourself and your abilities
- Regaining a sense of clarity and a sense of identity
- Reduced stress and anxiety
- Learning coping techniques to help manage day to day
- Gain understanding of traumatic events and how this has impacted your life
The first assessment is free and is a time for us to get to know each other and decide if we are able to work together. It is just as important for you to assess me as it is for me to assess your needs; counselling is an investment in yourself and it is essential that you feel that I’m the right person to support you.
Please note I only undertake telephone counselling with clients over 18 and it is often helpful to start with a face to face consultation before starting to work together.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Domestic Abuse Specialist (Over 10 years experience)
- BACP Register of Counsellors - Certificate of Proficiency 050808
- CPCAB Level 6 Certificate in Therapeutic Counselling Supervision
- CPCAB Level 5 Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapeutic Skills and Theory
- CPCAB Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- CPCAB Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies
- CPCAB Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills
- CSCT Certificate in Counselling Theory 08/1999
- Working with Young People Training
- Freedom Facilitator
- Pattern Changing Facilitator
- Recovery Tool Kit Facilitator
- Respect Certificate in Working with Male Victims of Domestic Abuse
- Certified Laughter Yoga Leader
- One to one laughter Coaching
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
Initial assessment is free. After the initial assessment the cost per session is £40 (50minutes). I do offer some reduced cost places for those on a limited income.
I am also a follower of Positive Psychology and offer one to one Laughter Coaching Courses. This helps to increase oxygen in your system, decrease stress hormones and lowers blood pressure. It also helps to increase confidence and promotes a sense of well-being
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I currently have spaces available for new clients please contact me for timings.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training