Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
This professional is available for new clients.
This professional is available for new clients.
And breathe... Hi, I'm Cath. I am an experienced, qualified counsellor who works online and face-to-face with individuals who are finding some aspects of life difficult to cope with.
There are times in our lives, whether we are an adult or young person, when we find we are struggling and we need someone to talk to in confidence, without the fear of being judged. I provide a warm, confidential environment, where you have the opportunity to be listened to and to explore some of the difficulties you may be experiencing.
WHO DO I WORK WITH?
- Having previously worked as a nurse and midwife, I utilise my experiences and specialise in supporting women through all aspects of reproductive health and other issues life has thrown at them. I recently completed Confidence in Menopause training, developed by Dr Louise Newson founder of Newson Health Centre for Doctors and Health Care Professionals.
- I work with adults on a wide range of life's issues. Some of these issues include issues surrounding childhood sexual abuse, parenting, self-esteem, confidence, anxiety, bullying, depression, family issues, grief and loss, personal boundaries, relationship issues, self-harming behaviours and work-related issues, (this list is not exhaustive).
- Since Coronavirus -19 impacted our lives, I moved to working online and have completed Online and Telephone Counselling training, approved by ACTO (Association for Counselling and Therapy Online) and recognised by the NCS (National Counselling Society). However, I do also offer some face to face sessions.
- I also work with young people. I recognise and understand that teenagers and young adults experience emotional difficulties for a number of reasons. It may be due to a change in their circumstances, such as parental divorce or separation, loss of a loved one, the pressure to 'do well', bullying, lack of confidence, self-harm or just general confusion in their life.
I’m not here to fix, nor is my role to tell you what you need to do. My role is to allow each individual the time and space to make sense of their world at this time, explore strategies that might help them cope better and enable them to take control of /for themselves and become the best person they can be.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
This is up to you. You never know unless you try.... and only you can decide. Counselling is there for anyone who is facing difficult times, needing support or guidance or just needing someone to talk to.
We can arrange an initial session at a mutually convenient time and day to give us the chance to get to know each other. Here you'll have the opportunity to explain what you'd like to gain from counselling, to ask me questions about how I work and to see if you feel comfortable with me. It also allows me the chance to check that I am able to offer you the help that you need.
There is no obligation to proceed, but if we both feel it is right, I'll meet with you weekly for your counselling sessions; sessions are usually at the same time on the same day each week, and will be for 50 minutes. Please email me or use the mobile number to get in touch.
I am situated in Knaresborough which has good bus and train services, therefore can support individuals who live further afield.
I respond to every enquiry; please ensure you check your spam/junk email folders.
Training, qualifications & experience
Prior to embarking on my counselling journey I worked as a qualified nurse, (specialising in gynaecology) and subsequently became a midwife, I also was employed within the education system offering support to children and young adults for numerous years. This, coupled with my personal experience of counselling, prompted me to train as a counsellor
Alongside my private practice, I previously worked with an organisation that counsels survivors of rape and sexual abuse (adults and under 18's.) Working as an integrative counsellor with core person-centred skills; this enables me to work with you as an individual, focusing on your specific experiences and needs.
- Therapeutic Counselling BSc (Hons)
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling - Level 5
- Diploma in Counselling Supervision - Level 6
- Certificate in Counselling Young People - Level 5
- Safeguarding Children and Young People - Level 3
- Certificate in Life Coaching - Level 3
- Extended Certificate in Online & Telephone Supervision
- understanding Domestic Abuse - Level 2
- Confidence in Menopause Newson Health Centre for Doctors and Health Care Professionals.
- Certificate in Online and Telephone Counselling (ACTO approved)
- Accredited with Foundation for Infant Loss.
- Couples Counselling - Basingstoke Counselling Service
- Accredited Registrant Member of NCPS (The National Counselling & Psychotherapy Society)
- Former RGN, RM (dip)
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
The National Counselling and Psychotherapy Society
This Not For Profit association of counsellors and psychotherapists aim to support the counselling profession, members and training organisations.
In 2013 the NCS register was accredited by the Professional Standards Authority under the Accredited Voluntary Register Scheme. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have completed Confidence in Menopause training, developed by Dr Louise Newson founder of Newson Health Centre for Doctors and Health Care Professionals.
£60.00 per session
Concessions offered for
- Initial meeting £60 (approx 1 hour)
- Further sessions £60 for 50 mins
- Young persons (13-18 yrs) £60 for 50 mins
- Couples £75 for one hour
When I work
Although I predominately work online, I do offer some in-person sessions.
- My personal and professional development is very important to me. I regularly attend training courses and workshops to develop my career.
- I'm an accredited registered member of the National Counselling Society and work in accordance with their ethical code of practice as a framework.
- My counselling work is fully supervised.
- Personal / Professional Liability Insurance