Cath Eddy MNCS (Accred)
Hello and welcome, I'm Cath. I am an experienced, qualified counsellor who works with individuals who are finding some aspects of life difficult to cope with.
There are times in our lives, whether we are a young person or an adult, when we find we are struggling and we need someone to talk to in confidence, without the fear of being judged. I provide a warm, confidential environment, where you have the opportunity to be listened to and to explore some of the difficulties you may be experiencing.
WHO DO I WORK WITH?
- I work with young people. I recognise and understand that teenagers and adolescents experience emotional difficulties for a number of reasons. It may be due to a change in their circumstances, such as parental divorce or separation, loss of a loved one, the pressure to 'do well', bullying, lack of confidence, self-harm or just general confusion in their life.
I’m not here to fix, nor is my role to tell your child what they need to do. My role is to allow each individual the time and space to make sense of their world at this time, explore strategies that might help them cope better and enable them to take control of /for themselves and become the best person they can be.
- I work with adults on a wide range of life's issues. Some of these issues include issues surrounding parenting, self-esteem, confidence, abuse, anxiety, bullying, depression, family issues, grief and loss, personal boundaries, relationship issues, self-harming behaviours and work-related issues, (this list is not exhaustive).
- Through my previous work as a nurse and midwife, I also work with and support women through a variety of life experiences including women and their families, who have experienced loss of pregnancy at any stage (including early or late miscarriage, stillbirth or termination), or women who are experiencing peri menopausal or menopausal symptoms
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
This is up to you. You never know unless you try.... and only you can decide. Counselling is there for anyone who is facing difficult times, needing support or guidance or just needing someone to talk to.
We can arrange an initial meeting at a mutually convenient time and day to give us the chance to get to know each other. Here you'll have the opportunity to explain what you'd like to gain from counselling, to ask me questions about how I work and to see if you feel comfortable with me. It is also allows me the chance to check that I am able to offer you the help that you need.
There is no obligation to proceed, but if we both feel it is right, I'll meet with you weekly for your counselling sessions at my comfortable therapy room; sessions are usually at the same time on the same day each week, and will be for 50 minutes. Please email me or use the mobile number to get in touch.
I am situated in Knaresborough which has good bus and train services, therefore can support individuals who live further afield.
Training, qualifications & experience
Prior to embarking on my counselling journey I worked as a qualified nurse, (specialising in gynaecology) and subsequently became a midwife, I also was employed within the education system offering support to children and young adults for numerous years. This, coupled with my personal experience of counselling, prompted me to train as a counsellor
Alongside my private practice, Until recently, I worked as a volunteer, counselling in a sixth form college. I also worked with an organisation that counsels survivors of rape and sexual abuse (adults and under 18's.) Working as an integrative counsellor with core person-centred skills; this enables me to work with you as an individual, focusing on your specific experiences and needs.
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling - Level 5
- Certificate in Counselling Young People - Level 5
- Safeguarding Children and Young People - Level 3
- Diploma in Counselling Supervision - Level 6
- Accredited with Foundation for Infant Loss.
- Couples Counselling - Basingstoke Counselling Service
- Accredited Registrant Member of NCS (The National Counselling Society)
- Former RGN, RM (dip)
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
National Counselling Society
The National Counselling Society
This Not For Profit association of counsellors and psychotherapists aim to support the counselling profession, members and training organisations.
In 2013 the NCS register was accredited by the Professional Standards Authority under the Accredited Voluntary Register Scheme. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I work with individuals who wish to explore issues relating to parenting; whether they are parents themselves or their relationships with their own parents - this includes working with young people who often don't feel heard. I draw upon my previous experiences of having worked for a number of years in an educational setting providing support for young people. I understand that for this client group a different approach can often be required. I explore issues with the individual in a way that works for them, whether this is through talking or creative experiences.
- Initial meeting £45 (approx 1 hour)
- Further sessions £45 for 50 mins
- Young persons (11-18 yrs) £45 for 50 mins
Concessions offered for
- My personal and professional development is very important to me. I regularly attend training courses and workshops to develop my career.
- I hold a Disclosing and Barring Service certificate (DBS) previously known as CRB
- I'm an accredited registered member of the National Counselling Society and work in accordance with their ethical code of practice as a framework.
- My counselling work is fully supervised.
- Personal / Professional Liability Insurance