And breathe... Hello and welcome, I'm Cath. I am an experienced, qualified counsellor who works online with individuals who are finding some aspects of life difficult to cope with.
There are times in our lives, whether we are an adult or young person, when we find we are struggling and we need someone to talk to in confidence, without the fear of being judged. I provide a warm, confidential environment, where you have the opportunity to be listened to and to explore some of the difficulties you may be experiencing.
WHO DO I WORK WITH?
- Through my previous work as a nurse and midwife, I work with and support women through a variety of life experiences including women and their families, who have experienced loss of pregnancy at any stage (including early or late miscarriage, stillbirth or termination), or women who are experiencing peri menopausal or menopausal symptoms.
- I work with adults on a wide range of life's issues. Some of these issues include issues surrounding parenting, self-esteem, confidence, abuse, anxiety, bullying, depression, family issues, grief and loss, personal boundaries, relationship issues, self-harming behaviours and work-related issues, (this list is not exhaustive).
- I also work with young people. I recognise and understand that teenagers and adolescents experience emotional difficulties for a number of reasons. It may be due to a change in their circumstances, such as parental divorce or separation, loss of a loved one, the pressure to 'do well', bullying, lack of confidence, self-harm or just general confusion in their life.
I’m not here to fix, nor is my role to tell you what you need to do. My role is to allow each individual the time and space to make sense of their world at this time, explore strategies that might help them cope better and enable them to take control of /for themselves and become the best person they can be.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
This is up to you. You never know unless you try.... and only you can decide. Counselling is there for anyone who is facing difficult times, needing support or guidance or just needing someone to talk to.
We can arrange an initial online meeting at a mutually convenient time and day to give us the chance to get to know each other. Here you'll have the opportunity to explain what you'd like to gain from counselling, to ask me questions about how I work and to see if you feel comfortable with me. It also allows me the chance to check that I am able to offer you the help that you need.
There is no obligation to proceed, but if we both feel it is right, I'll meet with you weekly for your counselling sessions; sessions are usually at the same time on the same day each week, and will be for 50 minutes. Please email me or use the mobile number to get in touch.
I am situated in Knaresborough which has good bus and train services, therefore can support individuals who live further afield.
I respond to every enquiry; please ensure you check your spam/junk email folders.
Training, qualifications & experience
Prior to embarking on my counselling journey I worked as a qualified nurse, (specialising in gynaecology) and subsequently became a midwife, I also was employed within the education system offering support to children and young adults for numerous years. This, coupled with my personal experience of counselling, prompted me to train as a counsellor
Alongside my private practice, I previously worked as a volunteer, counselling in a sixth form college. I also worked with an organisation that counsels survivors of rape and sexual abuse (adults and under 18's.) Working as an integrative counsellor with core person-centred skills; this enables me to work with you as an individual, focusing on your specific experiences and needs.
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling - Level 5
- Diploma in Counselling Supervision - Level 6
- Certificate in Counselling Young People - Level 5
- Safeguarding Children and Young People - Level 3
- certificate in Life Coaching - Level 3
- Certificate in Online and Telephone Counselling (ACTO approved)
- Accredited with Foundation for Infant Loss.
- Couples Counselling - Basingstoke Counselling Service
- Accredited Registrant Member of NCS (The National Counselling Society)
- Former RGN, RM (dip)
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
National Counselling Society
The National Counselling Society
This Not For Profit association of counsellors and psychotherapists aim to support the counselling profession, members and training organisations.
In 2013 the NCS register was accredited by the Professional Standards Authority under the Accredited Voluntary Register Scheme. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£50.00 per session
Concessions offered for
- Initial meeting £50 (approx 1 hour)
- Further sessions £50 for 50 mins
- Young persons (11-18 yrs) £50 for 50 mins
I have moved to working online and have completed Online and Telephone Counselling training, approved by ACTO (Association for Counselling and Therapy Online) and recognised by the NCS.
- My personal and professional development is very important to me. I regularly attend training courses and workshops to develop my career.
- I hold a Disclosing and Barring Service certificate (DBS) previously known as CRB
- I'm an accredited registered member of the National Counselling Society and work in accordance with their ethical code of practice as a framework.
- My counselling work is fully supervised.
- Personal / Professional Liability Insurance