Liz Down BA (Hons) PGDip MBACP
07785 182 835
Life can be tough, issues can build up over time. You may reach a point where you feel like you are no longer coping as well as you would like. We come to therapy for a myriad of reasons; anxiety, relationship issues, loss, depressed mood. Having someone to talk to who really listens can help immeasurably. Clients are often surprised how much they open up, even in the first session. Therapy is a space to feel really understood and supported to work through issues and gain new found self-esteem.
I am a warm, compassionate and highly experienced counsellor. I am a person centred/integrative counsellor with many years experience helping people develop greater self-understanding and self-acceptance. I can support you to build on your coping strategies and find fresh perspective. My specialisms are; self-esteem, trauma, anxiety and depression.
Get in touch to book your FREE first session. We can begin exploring issues, seeing if you feel comfortable with me as well as looking at what you might like to gain from counselling. I welcome enquires from adults, young people aged 16+ and couples looking to work through issues.
What clients say about me:
"I have recommended Liz to others and would not hesitate to do so again."
"Liz provided me with a safe space in which to explore the previously impossible things I needed to explore. She had compassion and empathy. She kept up with my lengthy rambles, and sat in silence with me, shared her insights when appropriate and really heard what I needed to say. My time with Liz allowed an authentic shift deep inside myself that has been profoundly healing. I would wish anyone finding themselves struggling with painful and challenging issues a ‘Liz’ to go on that journey with. Truly professional whilst also being humanly real, Liz’s skills and abilities as a counsellor are second to none."
"Liz has helped me immensely with her compassionate and very understanding nature. I feel totally at ease with her and I am able to share my innermost feelings and worries without any risk of being judged. I actually look forward to our sessions each week as a way of cleansing my mind for the week ahead."
Training, qualifications & experience
Qualifications & training
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Person-Centred Counselling: Brighton University
- BA (Hons) Sussex University: English Literature
- Certificate in Couples Counselling: Heartswork
- Drug & Alcohol Counselling Training: SASS (Sussex Alcohol Substance Use Service) (Including CBT & Motivational Interviewing)
- Working with Trauma & Recovery: Wealden Institute & Rise Counselling Service
- Bereavement Counselling: BACP
- Working with Men who have experienced Sexual Abuse/ Assault: Survivors UK
- Solution-Focused Counselling: Young People's Centre
- Counselling Young People: Rise Counselling Service & Online CPD with BACP
- Pluralistic Counselling: Brighton Person-Centred Community
- Existential Therapy & Phenomenology: Ernesto Spinelli, KGA
- Recognising & Assessing Mental Disturbance: BPCC
- Personality Inside Out: Human Personality in the Consulting Room: Psychotherapy UK
- Compassion Focused Therapy: Brighton Therapy Partnership
- Zen and the art of Person-Centred Therapy: BPCC
- Traumatic Attachment and Co-Regulation: The Neuro-biology of Relationship: Psychotherapy Excellence
- Working with Risky Behaviours in Adolescent Clients: Brighton Therapy Partnership
- Part-Time Youth Work Certificate: Kingston Youth Service
Current counselling experience
- Counsellor: Private Practice, Brighton & Seaford (since 2010)
- Freelance Sexual Assault Counsellor: Mankind, Newhaven
- Counsellor: Young People's Centre
- Counsellor: As You Are, Southwick
- Drug/Alcohol Counsellor: SASS, Hove
I have also had over 16 years experience supporting adults and young people with a variety of mental health issues.
I am fully insured, receive clinical supervision and ongoing professional development training. I am also a member BACP (British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy) and I adhere to their ethical framework.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
Photos & videos
Initial Session: FREE
Counselling Sessions: £45 per session
Student/Concessions: £40 (limited spaces- please enquire)
Couples - £60 (sessions last 60 minutes)
Individual Sessions last 50 mins.
Longer sessions available on arrangement.
I have experience working with adults, young people and couples dealing with:
- Abuse (emotional, physical, sexual)
- Anger management
- Addictions (including drug & alcohol)
- Bereavement & loss
- Parenting issues
- Divorce & separation
- Eating disorders
- Health related issues
- Low self-esteem & low self-confidence
- Panic attacks
- Personal development
- Post-natal depression
- Relationship issues
- Couples counselling
- Self harm
- Separation & divorce
- Trauma (PTSD)
- Work related issues
- General counselling.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime and evening spaces in Hove and Seaford
Types of client