Liz Down PGDip MBACP
07785 182 835
Welcome to my profile, let me introduce myself:
I am a experienced counsellor, BACP registered counsellor with a warm, empathic approach. I am a person-centred/integrative counsellor based in Seaford and Hove and provide short and long term sessions to adults, young people and couples struggling to cope with a variety of difficult life issues. Issues may include low self esteem, anxiety, low mood, a difficult decision or dilemma, relationship difficulties or past traumatic experiences.
The initial session is FREE and this is your chance to see if I am the right counsellor for you.
What to expect from counselling:
Perhaps you are considering counselling but might feel a bit daunted about sharing your personal issues with someone new. The good news is that I provide a welcoming, warm and confidential space in which, no matter what you say, you will not be judged but will instead be really listened to. By feeling understood and accepted in counselling, it becomes possible to develop and deepen your own understanding of what you feel, why you feel it and how you behave. We will also work together to find new ways to think about issues and I will support you to uncover solutions to problems and coping strategies that feel right for you.
Counselling is a unique journey that looks different for each client and I will tailor my approach to suit your needs. We may do solution-focused work on a particular goal or we may explore issues from the past and heal old wounds. It may be a mixture of both these things!
What happens next:
I'd really like to hear from you, by text, email or phone for an informal chat about counselling or to book an initial session. The first session is a chance to begin exploring issues, to see if you feel comfortable with me and to look at what you might need from counselling. Clients often tell me at the end of the first session that they are surprised at how easy it has felt to open up to me and also feel relieved to share and offload problems they have been carrying around alone.
The initial session is your chance to give counselling a try, begin exploring your goals, gain understanding of the counselling process and begin exploring what you need. This process in and of itself is often very uplifting and that sense of knowing you are doing something positive and gaining support can really be a massive relief.
What clients say about me:
"I have recommended Liz to others and would not hesitate to do so again."
"Liz provided me with a safe space in which to explore the previously impossible things I needed to explore. She had compassion and empathy. She kept up with my lengthy rambles, and sat in silence with me, shared her insights when appropriate and really heard what I needed to say. My time with Liz allowed an authentic shift deep inside myself that has been profoundly healing. I would wish anyone finding themselves struggling with painful and challenging issues a ‘Liz’ to go on that journey with. Truly professional whilst also being humanly real, Liz’s skills and abilities as a counsellor are second to none."
"Liz has helped me immensely with her compassionate and very understanding nature. I feel totally at ease with her and I am able to share my innermost feelings and worries without any risk of being judged. I actually look forward to our sessions each week as a way of cleansing my mind for the week ahead."
Training, qualifications & experience
Qualifications & training
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Person-Centred Counselling: Brighton University
- Certificate in Couples Counselling: Heartswork
- Pre-Diploma in Counselling: Brighton University
- Drug & Alcohol Counselling Training: SASS (Sussex Alcohol Substance Use Service) (Including CBT & Motivational Interviewing)
- Working with Trauma & Recovery: Wealden Institute & Rise Counselling Service
- Working with Men who have experienced Sexual Abuse/ Assault: Survivors UK
- Solution-Focused Counselling: Young People's Centre
- Counselling Young People: Rise Counselling Service & Online CPD with BACP
- Pluralistic Counselling: Brighton Person-Centred Community
- Existential Therapy & Phenomenology: Ernesto Spinelli, KGA
- Recognising & Assessing Mental Disturbance: BPCC
- Personality Inside Out: Human Personality in the Consulting Room: Psychotherapy UK
- Compassion Focused Therapy: Brighton Therapy Partnership
- Zen and the art of Person-Centred Therapy: BPCC
- Traumatic Attachment and Co-Regulation: The Neuro-biology of Relationship: Psychotherapy Excellence
- Working with Risky Behaviours in Adolescent Clients: Brighton Therapy Partnership
- Part-Time Youth Work Certificate: Kingston Youth Service
Current counselling experience
- Counsellor: Private Practice, Brighton & Seaford
- Freelance Sexual Assault Counsellor: Mankind, Newhaven
- Counsellor: Young People's Centre
- Counsellor: As You Are, Southwick
- Drug/Alcohol Counsellor: SASS, Hove
I have also had over 16 years experience supporting adults and young people with a variety of mental health issues.
I am fully insured, receive clinical supervision and ongoing professional development training. I am also a member BACP (British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy) and I adhere to their ethical framework.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Please visit my website to read my counselling contract and other useful information about my service.
Initial Session - FREE (for face-to-face sessions)
£40 per session
£30-£35 concessions available for clients where finances would make the full fee unaffordable.
Couples - £60 (sessions last 60 minutes)
Individual Sessions last 50 mins.
Longer sessions available on arrangement.
I have experience working with adults, young people and couples dealing with:
- Abuse (emotional, physical, sexual)
- Anger management
- Addictions (including drug & alcohol)
- Bereavement & loss
- Parenting issues
- Divorce & separation
- Eating disorders
- Health related issues
- Low self-esteem & low self-confidence
- Panic attacks
- Personal development
- Post-natal depression
- Relationship issues
- Couples counselling
- Self harm
- Separation & divorce
- Trauma (PTSD)
- Work related issues
- General counselling.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime and evening spaces in Hove and Seaford
Types of client