Are you struggling with a variety of issues and looking for someone to talk to?
I am a warm, empathic, highly experienced counsellor who will support you to work through your issues. I have 11 years experience in private practice, plus another 10 years experience in mental health support work. I work with issues such as anxiety and depression, drug/alcohol issues and difficulties in relationships. I am a person-centred counselling and will build a trusting, warm and empathic relationship with you in which you feel you feel accepted, valued and understood.
I also offer CBT and Solution-Focused approaches. I will help you to explore and build upon your coping strategies, find fresh perspectives on your experiences and support you to strengthen your self-esteem. Each client is different so I tailor my approach to suit your individual needs and goals. We will also regularly review how you are finding therapy and what you need from me.
The first session: We begin exploring issues, seeing if you feel comfortable with me as well as looking at what you might like to gain from counselling. I welcome enquires from adults and young people aged 16+ looking to work through issues and life experiences.
What clients say about me:
"I have recommended Liz to others and would not hesitate to do so again."
"Liz provided me with a safe space in which to explore the previously impossible things I needed to explore. She had compassion and empathy. She kept up with my lengthy rambles, and sat in silence with me, shared her insights when appropriate and really heard what I needed to say. My time with Liz allowed an authentic shift deep inside myself that has been profoundly healing. I would wish anyone finding themselves struggling with painful and challenging issues a ‘Liz’ to go on that journey with. Truly professional whilst also being humanly real, Liz’s skills and abilities as a counsellor are second to none."
"Liz has helped me immensely with her compassionate and very understanding nature. I feel totally at ease with her and I am able to share my innermost feelings and worries without any risk of being judged. I actually look forward to our sessions each week as a way of cleansing my mind for the week ahead."
Training, qualifications & experience
Qualifications & training
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Person-Centred Counselling: Brighton University
- BA (Hons) Sussex University: English Literature
- Certificate in Couples Counselling: Heartswork
- Drug & Alcohol Counselling Training: SASS (Sussex Alcohol Substance Use Service) (Including CBT & Motivational Interviewing)
- Working with Trauma & Recovery: Wealden Institute & Rise Counselling Service
- Bereavement Counselling: BACP
- Working with Men who have experienced Sexual Abuse/ Assault: Survivors UK
- Solution-Focused Counselling: Young People's Centre
- Counselling Young People: Rise Counselling Service & Online CPD with BACP
- Pluralistic Counselling: Brighton Person-Centred Community
- Existential Therapy & Phenomenology: Ernesto Spinelli, KGA
- Recognising & Assessing Mental Disturbance: BPCC
- Personality Inside Out: Human Personality in the Consulting Room: Psychotherapy UK
- Compassion Focused Therapy: Brighton Therapy Partnership
- Zen and the art of Person-Centred Therapy: BPCC
- Traumatic Attachment and Co-Regulation: The Neuro-biology of Relationship: Psychotherapy Excellence
- Working with Risky Behaviours in Adolescent Clients: Brighton Therapy Partnership
- Part-Time Youth Work Certificate: Kingston Youth Service
Current counselling experience
- Counsellor: Private Practice, Brighton & Seaford (2010- ongoing)
- Counsellor: Young People's Centre
- Counsellor: As You Are, Southwick
- Drug/Alcohol Counsellor: SASS, Hove
- Mental Health Support Worker Roles (2000-2010)
I am fully insured, receive clinical supervision and ongoing professional development training. I am also a member BACP (British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy) and I adhere to their ethical framework.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£50.00 per session
Concessions offered for
Counselling Sessions: £50 per session.
Concessions/Students: £40-£45 per session (where the full fee would be financially difficult-please do discuss with me)
Individual Sessions last 50 mins.
Longer sessions available on arrangement.
I have experience working with adults, young people and couples dealing with:
- Abuse (emotional, physical, sexual)
- Anger management
- Addictions (including drug & alcohol)
- Bereavement & loss
- Parenting issues
- Divorce & separation
- Eating disorders
- Health related issues
- Low self-esteem & low self-confidence
- Panic attacks
- Personal development
- Post-natal depression
- Relationship issues
- Couples counselling
- Self harm
- Separation & divorce
- Trauma (PTSD)
- Work related issues
- General counselling.