Jan Sheppard BA MA Adv.Dip.Ex.Psych.Couns. UKCP MBACP (Snr.Accred.)
I am an experienced UKCP registered Psychotherapist and MBACP Senior Accredited Counselor, with 11 years experience in both the NHS and the private sector, working with individuals, couples and families. I currently run City & East Therapy Practice from 3 locations in East London, do have a look at my web-site.
I work within the existential tradition, which takes a philosophical approach to psychotherapy and counseling, aiming to help people live more deliberately and purposefully in their lives. Existential therapy will help clarify your understanding of yourself and your life circumstances. It may also assist you through a specific life crisis and in becoming better at handling difficult relationships. You can be helped to improve interpersonal relationships, or to discover effective ways of dealing with psychological and emotional problems. You can achieve strong, life-changing results that will impact decisively on your future, both at work and in your personal life.
The emphasis throughout our work is on you and how you see and experience the world. You will have an opportunity to tell your story and gradually come to a more satisfactory interpretation of your current predicaments until you find a way through them. The objective is for you to become more honest with yourself and more in tune with both your limitations and possibilities. By paying attention to what is of most concern to you personally we will aim to bring your life back into harmony with your aspirations so that you become more able to live your life to the full. This means understanding where you are at before establishing where you want to go and how you might get there.
You will be expected to freely discuss everything that is of concern to you in your everyday experience. You need to be prepared to verbally express your emotions, sensations, thoughts, memories, dreams, fantasies, expectations, fears and hopes without reserve, in order to get a clear picture of your way of being in the world and understand and re-organize your life accordingly. The process of existential therapy consists of an engaged and constructive discussion of past events, from which new commitments for the future will emerge.
Training, qualifications & experience
Certificate in Fundamentals of Psychotherapy (Regents College)
MA Integrative Psychotherapy (Regents College)
Advanced Diploma in Existential Psychotherapy (Regents College)
Certificate in Existential Supervision and Group-work (New School)
Introductory Certificate in Group Analysis (IGA)
Intermediate Course in Group Analysis (IGA)
Lecturer in Psychotherapy at Regents College School of Psychotherapy, London, Matrix Psychotherapy, Norfolk, Clinical Supervisor and Lecturer at New School for Psychotherapy and Counseling, London.
Employed as Adult Psychotherapist within East Sussex NHS Trust (200-2001), Newham Primary Care Trust (2005-2007), and North East London NHS Trust (on-going).
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Eating disorders
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Personality disorders
Other areas of counselling I deal with
1. Work concerns: Work is an important aspect of our lives and if your job is unsatisfying it can affect the rest of your life. It could be that you need to look at the relationships you have at work to see if they might be improved. You may wish to consider a complete change of occupation and look at this in both a structured and creative manner.
2. Family: Sometimes families can be a safe harbour after dangerous seas but often families are the dangerous seas. How you were brought up can affect you later in life and your self-esteem may well rely on your family of origin, as do your relationships. Looking at our past may help us to move on and find positive ways at looking at negative experiences. Couples often have quite different expectations of relationships and just looking at that can help.
3. Friends and Relationships: Our friends and colleagues are an important part of our lives and yet we sometimes do not give them the consideration they deserve. London can be a lonely place and some support and help can bring about a more rewarding social life. Whether it is difficulties you are having with old friends or that you are shy about making new ones, therapy can help.
4. Turning Points: We can underestimate the difficulties that occur at the turning points in our lives. Even events that seem to be pleasant such as having a baby or a new relationship can be very demanding. We all know that growing older can feel painful and we dread the mid-life crisis rather than see it as an opportunity. After a bereavement we usually need a period of rest and mourning and it can seem difficult to get back into the swing of life again. This can be a time when life seems to lose its meaning and when a therapist can gently restore a sense of purpose.
Photos & videos
My standard fee in Bow and Walthamstow is £60 per 50 min session or £70 for couples. In Canary Wharf my fee is £65 for individuals and £75 for couples.
I also see clients for 1hr 20 min sessions at a rate of £80 for individuals and £90 for couples (Canary Wharf £85 and £95 respectively).
I do offer concessions to students and the unemployed or those on low incomes. I try to make my practise available to clients from as broad a range of scoio-economic background as possible.
I begun my professional life training as a speech therapist, however from experiences gained working within mental health projects and residential psychiatric settings, I became interested in the possibility of bringing a psychological and particularly a philosophical perspective to bear more fully within the work I was doing. I re-trained as a psychotherapist and have since worked extensively within various teaching and training organizations as well as in the NHS, and I am now in private practice full-time working largely with professionals from the city, and local residents of Walthamstow. My practice is based in E10, E3 and E14.
Feel free to call me with any questions you might have and to refer to my web-site to find out more about myself and the work I do in Walthamstow, Bow and Canary Wharf.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
7 - 10 Mon-Fri Sat 9-12
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training