Gill Powton MBACP (Accred)
Are you going through a difficult time just now? Do you find yourself wishing you had someone to talk to? Someone who won’t judge you and will accept you? Someone who is not involved in what is going on?
- It may be that you have lost someone close to you and you are finding it difficult to cope with not having that person in your life anymore.
- Perhaps you have suffered loss in other ways, for instance loss of a relationship, loss of job or home. Maybe things aren’t looking very safe and secure for you at this time.
- Has something traumatic happened to you or someone you know? Perhaps you are trying to come to terms with a change in your life that you have no control over.
- Are you considering making a life change and need to talk to through the possible consequences of making changes?
- It may be that you have suddenly found yourself behaving in a way that is out of your usual character.
- Would you like to talk to me about what is going on for you?
What is Counselling?
Counselling gives you the chance to talk about whatever is troubling you and if you are not sure if counselling is for you then you are very welcome to call or email me with any questions you may have. My aim is to put you at ease.
All queries will be treated with respect and a warm welcome awaits you every time.
How do I work?
I am a Person Centred Counsellor and integrate various ways of working to suit a client's individual needs. As a client you will receive a holding and compassionate presence from me as your Counsellor which provides safety and security to allow new growth and learning to happen. We will work together to help build you back up.
Where will the sessions take place?
I am unable to see you face to face just now but I am finding working over the telephone or video calling is working very well. I continue to work in this way from my place of work where you are welcome to attend if you wish once the current COVID 19 restrictions are eased. I work within a peaceful location in the heart of a residential area in Newcastle upon Tyne.
I will treat you with acceptance and respect at all times. I will listen carefully in order to understand what is important to you.
What happens next?
Contact me either via telephone or email and we can arrange a time for us to meet remotely either on the telephone or a video call for an initial session. My aim is to provide you with a safe place to explore what is going on for you and work towards restoring or finding new coping skills to help you now and in the future.
Hopefully coming to counselling will help with your confidence, self esteem, and help you to make sense of what is going on for you.
Sometimes it is calm, understanding, caring support that is needed from a counselling professional who is there for you.
Please call or text me on: 07936 623747
Or click here to send me an email.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Professional Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- BACP Accredited
- Certificate in Bereavement Counselling
- Experienced in working within a GP setting in Primary Care
- Currently employed by Tyneside & Northumberland Mind
- Trained in EMDR therapy
- Relate Institute Level 5 Diploma in Relationship Counselling Cert of Attendance
- Volunteer counsellor on behalf of CRUSE Bereavement Care
- Working within a Primary School setting for Place2Be
- Working within a High school setting on behalf of Streetwise
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Reasons why people seek help through counselling
- Relationship Difficulties
- Feeling Stressed
- Low Self Esteem
- Coping with Illness or Injury
- Childhood or historic trauma
- Painful or difficult feelings
- Self Image Issues
- Identity Issues
- Feeling low, depressed or anxious.
This list is not exclusive so please know that you are welcome to ask if what you'd like to work on is not included on this list. If I can help then I will, if not then I will attempt to signpost you in the right direction.
£40 per hour for adults
£20 per hour for students
Initial Meeting Free
Reduced rates are offered depending on personal circumstances to reflect my strong view that counselling should be made accessible to all who are in need of it.
Concessions offered for
I work privately between the hours of:
MONDAY - FRIDAY 8AM TO 7PM
SESSIONS LAST APPROXIMATELY UP TO 1 HOUR
I am an Accredited member of the BACP and work to their ethical framework at all times. I have monthly counselling supervision and current DBS clearance. I also have professional indemnity insurance.
All of the above ensures a safe working environment for clients and myself.