Dean Richardson MNCS(Accred. Reg.) ~ Couples, Individuals, Groups, LGBT+
Professional & effective counselling services from an established, highly experienced, flexibly-attentive, frankly-speaking male counsellor, celebrating his 21st year of practice.
…seeking understanding about what's fuelling your anxiety,
…seeking understanding on how you might approach your relationship-conflicts,
- LGBT (/QIA etc):
…couples or individuals seeking alliance with a specialist counsellor (more than just an ally).
…self-identifying troubling sexual behaviour and/or growing distress with pornography or fetishes prior to committing a sexual offence.
DEAN RICHARDSON - "a proper counsellor…".
Let me share with you where the phrase "a proper counsellor" came from…
A little while back, an old, experienced & respected colleague of mine, whom I hadn't seen in many years, came up to me to say hello during a Hampshire Festival of the Mind conference in Portsmouth.
She told me that she had referred a number of people to me over the years in her roles as supervisor and counsellor. In particular, when someone told her of the kind of counsellor they thought they aught to be seeing, my experienced colleague's anxious response was:-
"Oh no! You want to go and see a proper counsellor! Go and see Dean Richardson…!"
…and so was born the phrase "a proper counsellor" (which I rather love!)
WHAT MIGHT WE MEAN BY "PROPER" COUNSELLOR?
It is an unfortunately situation that in the UK: "Counsellor" is not a protected title. Anyone with no-qualifications, little/poor/no training, no insurance, no clinical supervision and no membership of a professional body can still describe their service as "counselling" and imply they can work with you therapeutically. It's a little bit scary.
So, my counselling practice (celebrating entering my 21st year) is based in sensible training, qualifications, experience, continued study & enhancement of my skills, and all supported by regular supervision.
I'm qualified in counselling via a Diploma in Psychodynamic (psychotherapeutic) Counselling (Chichester Counselling Services, course accredited by the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy), plus a post-graduate diploma in systemic/psychodynamic couple counselling (incorporating a cognitive behavioural approach) (Chichester) and for therapy groups I've added an analytic and facilitate approach to group counselling via the National Foundation in Group Analysis. Plus I am a registered counsellor and an accredited member of the National Counselling Society (MNCS(Accredited Registrant)).
Yet - with this level of qualification and experience, I'm still your bog-standard bloke…
- I ask the questions that no-one else is asking… which can help us address stuff in ways you've not done so before.
- I don't follow dogma… simply because "the book says 'do this now'"; you're unique!
- I learn from *you*, the client… meaning that whilst I'll be assisting you, you'll also be playing an active part in our counselling work. You're the book we learn from :)
- I get puzzled over things… I don't understand, I'm curious to learn more rather than taking things a face value. This helps uncover not-yet-understood material.
- I translate (most, not all!)… psychobabble into understandable plain English.
- I tolerate… a lot of the heavy, nasty stuff that happens to people during their lives (trauma, rape, abuse).
- I'll use basic plain language… (including colloquial language/swearing) just the same way that you might. We'll speak a common language!
- I listen well, people find that they can talk to me about stuff.
… and with such an approach, together my clients and I start figuring out stuff enough so that - after a while - the client no longer needs to keep seeing me for counselling.
My approach is to assist clients in coming to terms with risks and anxieties in life in a way that makes sense to them; to assist them in learning how to manage matters when the shit-hits-the-fan (rather than aim to go through life desperately hoping that the fan will always remain, erm, shit-less :) )
I also have a speciality in working with lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans*, queer/questioning, intersex and ally people (LGBTQIA) in counselling.
So, with all this going into my kit-bag since 1999, I think I might have earned my colleague's description: "a proper counsellor" ;)
I'M SOMEONE WHO ASKS THE QUESTIONS THAT NO-ONE ELSE IS ASKING.
Many people can despair in the thought that they don't know the answers - or resolutions - to their problems… or that they "have already tried everything" and "everything has failed"Yet, when certain kinds of questions are asked; when new challenges are put in front of people, new thoughts can occur. These new thoughts can lead to new ideas… and then introduce new answers and resolutions.
I can put a circular question to a couple about their relationship, and all three of us watch as new pathways emerge as the question is jostled with.
I can put an open question to an individual, who might delight in (or cry with relief) that they had never been asked such a question before.
PART OF MY SKILLS ARE ASKING QUESTIONS THAT REGULARLY INVITE THE RESPONSE: "Oh, I've never been asked that before!"
My insightful & respectful approach to counselling can bring immediate relief simply by initially feeling that you are being understood by somebody. This is an important first step before any client & counsellor get into working through deeper, perhaps more distressing issues.
In short: I can help you turn "what the fuck?!" into "oh, I get it now!".
COUNSELLING SERVICES I OFFER IN HAVANT / WATERLOOVILLE and ONLINE VIDEO.
- Couple/Relationship Counselling… for two-adult relationship issues (intimate, married, partners, friends, business partners/colleagues).
- Individual counselling… for any adult individual wishing to understand themselves, their behaviour, their emotional-responses etc.
- Small counselling groups… (from 4 to to 8 people - e.g. a polyamorous relationship) who have a common objective & find working in a group therapeutically helpful.
- LGBT /Q Speciality… where sexuality, orientation or curiosity has become troubling.
I have been honoured to discover that some clients have travelled regularly as far away as 50 miles to work with me weekly in counselling.
HOW TO BEGIN COUNSELLING WITH DEAN RICHARDSON.
I will offer to meet with you for just one session.
There will be no obligation to meet with me after that. No signing up for years of therapy. No minimum terms and paying lump sums up-front. Continuing will be up to you.
If that single session gives you an experience that our time together would be well spent (and we both agree about this) then we can talk more about continuing weekly, what the focus of what we would be working on and how we will end our counselling relationship when it's complete.
My aim… is to become redundant, with you leaving counselling in a better place than before and more able to manage in the outside world.
No need for future "top-up" sessions (as if you'd run out?!), no feeling you're obligated to return to counselling; we'll work things through so that they're done… or done enough.
Curious to learn more about Dean Richardson MNCS(Accred/Reg)?
See my website for my full details and experience as a counsellor, group facilitator, and couple therapist for relationship issues.
… or use Counselling Directory to send a (free of charge) private message which I will respond to (usually within two work-days).
Are you ready to spend some time… with me… on yourself…?
Training, qualifications & experience
Please note that I work only with adults (18 years old and over). The areas of counselling dealing with "child related issues" are about an adult's past childhood and issues so related.
- Accredited member of National Counselling Society & Registered Counsellor: MNCS(Accredited Registrant)
- Primary Diploma in Psychodynamic Individual Counselling.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Psychodynamic & Systemic Couple Counselling for adult relationships.
- IGA Foundation Course in Group Analysis.
- Certificates in Working with Sexual Offenders (Stopso.org.uk)
- Certificate in Online Counselling (inc Skype video).
- Certificate(s) in Brief/Time-Limited Psychodynamic Psychotherapy.
- Certificate in Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy Skills (Cognitive Behavioural Approach).
- 21st year of practice (2019).
- IBM-trained Mentor/Coach & Group Facilitator since 1997.
- Practising counselling since 1999 (primarily a psychodynamic focus).
- Couple counselling (post-grad diploma) since 2009 (systemic/psychodynamic focus)
- Group counselling (Foulkesian focus) via IGA "National Foundation in Group Analysis".
- Cognitive Behavioural Approach (CBT-based counselling) via Hemmfipsych's "CBT With Heart"
- LGBT /QIA+… couples, individuals and small groups.
- Men with Unwanted Sexual Behaviour… Pre-Sexual Offence Counselling for men self-identifying problems with online pornography or troubling sexual thoughts & behaviour.
- Polyamorous… groups, couples and individuals.
- Focused short-term… dynamic psychotherapeutic approaches.
- Longer-term… and open-ended work.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Other Areas of Speciality:
- Blokes's Problems - sometimes the "two blokes talking about it over a pint" scenario can be very powerful when adding an effective counselling approach (... and without the actual pints, 'natch!). My caseload is regularly taken up fully by men.
- Platonic / non-intimate couple relationships (eg business partners, flatmates, friends etc.).
- Gay / Lesbian / Mixed LGBT /Q / GSRD couple counselling.
- Gay / Lesbian / Mixed LGBT /Q / GSRD individual counselling.
- Polyamorous Relationship Groups (e.g. Relationship conflicts etc).
- Sexual Identity / sexuality issues / LGBT lifestyle issues.
- Gender Identity (transgender, questioning, etc.)
- Support groups.
- Online Skype counselling.
Photos & videos
Session times are 50 minutes unless otherwise stated.
…optionally: £75 for 90 minutes.
Couples Relationship Counselling:
…optionally: £100 for 90 minutes.
£35 per person per 90 minute session
…minimum 4 people, maximum 8.
Skype Video Counselling Fees:
- £5/session deducted from my standard fees for individual & couple counselling.
- £3/session deducted from each member's group session.
- As an independent private counsellor, I can discuss lower fees with you according to your financial circumstances; helping you find a per-session fee that you can responsibly afford. There are a limited number of places, however. See my website for details about fee reviews.
How to Pay.
I take payments weekly in the following ways:-
- I accept cash, cheques in person
- You can use your banking app to make free transfers.
- I also accept credit & debit card payments in person or online via PayPal (no additional fees for paying by card).
Car Parking costs: free car parking along residential side roads (South Street), in the supermarkets (about 10 minutes walk) or around £2.00 for any of the several car parks in the area (see website for location details).
- Around a dozen routes all that arrive at Havant Bus Station (see website for details).
- My Havant rooms are a 5 minute walk from the bus station.
Skype counselling takes place wherever you feel safe and secure. You will need (free) Skype software installing on at least one computer (sometimes two computers if you and your partner prefer for Skype couple counselling). Your computer must have a video camera and microphone - and be on a suitably swift broadband connection. Many clients find that maximising my image helps them to feel that they are in the same room as Dean.
Other than not being in the same room as each other, counselling follows the same practice that Dean been offering for years:-
- You both will begin the session on the hour at the same time each week.
- The session proceeds for 50 minutes and ends at 10-to the hour.
- You should be in a safe place where no-one will disturb you during the session.
- The session fee becomes due on the day of the session, and you can pay online using Dean's website.
- During the first session, we may extend the session by 10 minutes or so, so that we can get you feeling comfortable with Skype and check that everything is working OK. If you cannot get everything working, you & Dean may discuss rescheduling the session with no charge.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Street level, ground floor, slight bump when going through door, toilet facilities designed for accessibility. See website for details...
Mondays: eve. Tuesday (groups), Wednesdays: pm. Thursdays: eve. Fridays: by prior arrangement. See my website for my currently available times…
Types of client