Dean Richardson MNCS(Accred/Reg) ~ Couples, Individuals, Groups, LGBT/Q+
Dean Richardson - a proper counsellor…
During these Emergency Times many counsellors are transitioning their practice to embrace online/video. So, when thinking about who you might like to trust working with online, it's good to know that Dean already has 13+ years experience in working online with Skype & Zoom video - so that'll be 13 years more than a significant number of other counsellors in your area.
What does "Proper Counsellor" mean?
Some ten years ago I met an old colleague at a Hampshire Mental Health exhibition. She told me that during the years she'd referred people to me (as I had to her) but regarding my specialisms around counselling for men and sexuality she told me of the story of a student of hers who had described the therapists she thought she liked the look of.
"Oh no !!" - exclaimed my colleague. "You don't want to work with someone like that. You need to see a proper counsellor; go see Dean Richardson…"
And I think the term is rather appropriate. Because Counselling isn't a protected title anyone can call themselves a counsellor and offer a counselling service. This is where my colleague's student fell into trouble, she was about to go and see someone who wasn't properly qualified nor experienced to contain her needs from therapy.
Over my 22 years practice, I've amassed a great deal of experience and focus upon particular areas of counselling:-
- Individual Counselling: where the individual seeks understanding and symptom relief.
- Couples Counselling: where a couple wish to resolve their own issues and not become dependant upon a therapist for the rest of their lives.
- Counselling for Small Groups: where a relationship between 6-to-8 people is in conflict.
I'm also a skilled Skype and Zoom operator - offering tele-counselling for those who cannot reach my physical locations.
What Others have Said.
I always ask a new client "how did you hear about me?" in order to learn what they are looking for, and how they thought I'd be able to help.
Some responses stand out in my memory (paraphrased):-
- "I like how frank you come across, not like the fluffy-template websites!"
- "You're the only one whose website says: 'f***' !"
- "No ones website actually stated they worked with gay men [who thought they might be straight]."
- "You speak my language."
- "I thought you seemed very kind."
- "I needed a frank-speaking bloke."
- "You were the only one working with MOMs [mixed sexually-orientated marriages]"
- "No other counsellor explicitly discusses transvestism."
- "We're in a long-distance relationship and you(r website says that you) counsel couples living over 1,000s miles apart."
- "My doctor / GU Clinic / friend / work recommended you.'
But, of course, you too will take your own impression of me when you read this profile and look through my website (go look, now!). Maybe soon I'll be asking you too: "how did you hear about me?"
There's lots more to say - but rather than to try and lump it all into the one box here, I'd suggest you visit my website where you'll find oodles of info all separated out into relevant pages for you to consider.
See you over there!
Training, qualifications & experience
- Qualifying Diploma in Psychodynamic Individual Counselling.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Psychodynamic & Systemic Couple Counselling for adult relationships.
- IGA Foundation Certificate in Group Analysis.
- Certificates in Working with Sexual Offenders (Stopso.org.uk)
- Certificate in Online Counselling (inc Skype video).
- Certificate(s) in Brief/Time-Limited Psychodynamic Psychotherapy.
- Certificate in Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy Skills (Cognitive Behavioural Approach).
- Accredited Registrant member of National Counselling Society: MNCS(Accred. Reg.).
Please note that I work only with adults (18 years old and over). The areas of counselling dealing with "child related issues" are about an adult's past childhood and issues so related.
- 22nd year of counselling practice (commenced 1999) plus 13 years of Skype/Zoom video counselling.
- IBM-trained Mentor/Coach & Group Facilitator (commenced 1997).
- Couple counselling (post-grad diploma) since 2009 (systemic/psychodynamic focus)
- Group counselling (Foulkesian focus) via IGA "National Foundation in Group Analysis".
- Cognitive Behavioural Approach (CBT-based counselling) via Hemmfipsych's "CBT With Heart"
- LGBT /QIA+… couples, individuals and small groups.
- Service: "Counselling for Blokes".
- Men with Unwanted Sexual Behaviour… Pre-Sexual Offence Counselling for men self-identifying problems with online pornography or troubling sexual thoughts & behaviour.
- Polyamorous… groups, couples and individuals.
- Focused short-term… dynamic psychotherapeutic approaches.
- Longer-term… and open-ended work.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
National Counselling Society
The National Counselling Society
This Not For Profit association of counsellors and psychotherapists aim to support the counselling profession, members and training organisations.
In 2013 the NCS register was accredited by the Professional Standards Authority under the Accredited Voluntary Register Scheme. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Other Areas of Speciality:
- Counselling for Men: "Bloke's Problems" - sometimes the concept of "two blokes talking about it over a pint" can be very powerful when adding an effective counselling approach (... and without the actual pints, 'natch!). My caseload is fully taken up, regularly, by men.
- Online Skype & Zoom video counselling (13 years experience!)
- Platonic / non-intimate couple relationships (eg business partners, flatmates, friends etc.).
- Gay / Lesbian / Mixed LGBT /Q / GSRD couple counselling.
- Gay / Lesbian / Mixed LGBT /Q / GSRD individual counselling.
- Polyamorous Relationship Groups (e.g. Relationship conflicts etc).
- Sexual Identity / sexuality issues / LGBT lifestyle issues.
- Gender Identity (transgender, questioning, etc.)
- Support groups.
Session times are 50 minutes unless otherwise stated. Other session lengths available.
…optionally: £75 for 90 minutes.
Couples Relationship Counselling:
…optionally: £100 for 90 minutes.
£35 per person per 90 minute session
…minimum 4 people, maximum 8.
- As an independent private counsellor, I can discuss lower fees with you according to your financial circumstances; helping you find a per-session fee that you can responsibly afford. There are a limited number of places, however. See my website for details about fee reviews.
How to Pay.
I take payments weekly in the following ways:-
- You may use your banking app to make free bank-transfer (BACS) payments.
- I accept credit & debit card payments in person or online via PayPal & iZettle (no additional fees for paying by card).
- I accept cash, cheques in person.
Concessions offered for
Skype/Zoom Video Counselling Logistics.
Video counselling takes place wherever you feel safe and secure. You will need the (free) Skype or Zoom software installing on a device with video and audio (two individual devices if you and your partner ask for Skype/Zoom couple counselling).
Your device must be connected a suitably swift broadband connection. Many clients find that maximising my video upon the device helps them to feel that they are in the same room as I, and using earphones/microphone helps mitigate annoying audio screeching/feedback.
Other than not being in the same room as each other, counselling follows the same practice that I have been offering for years:-
- You both will begin the session on the hour at the same time each week.
- The session proceeds for 50 minutes and ends at 10-to the hour.
You should be in a safe place where no-one will disturb you during the session.
- The session fee becomes due on the day of the session, and you are invited to pay prior to the session (eg via using my website).
- During the first session, we may extend the session by several minutes so that we can ensure everything technological is working OK. If you cannot get everything working, we may discuss rescheduling the session with no additional charge.
Travel Logistics for my Havant location:-
- Car Parking costs: free car parking along residential side roads (e.g. South Street), in the supermarkets (about 10 minutes walk) or around £2.00 for any of the several car parks in the area (see my website for car parking details).
- Around a dozen routes all that arrive at Havant Bus Station (see website for details).
- My Havant rooms are a 5 minute walk from the bus station.
- Train Services:
- Closest train station: Havant.
- 5 minutes walk from the train station.
- Regular trains to/from London, Brighton, Chichester, Southampton etc.