Dr Abbey Davies (Spectra Psychology Scotland)
Please note that I am currently unavailable to take on new clients.
I am a Counselling Psychologist, registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). I provide a warm, safe and professional space for you to explore your difficulties and find ways of coping
I offer a collaborative approach, working with you to determine what your goals are and how we may begin to address them. I draw on a range of approaches to ensure that your wants and needs are met; including person-centred therapy, cognitive behavioural therapy, compassion focused therapy, mindfulness based approaches and schema therapy. I have recently completed parts 1 and 2 of a 3 part training in EMDR and am now accepting referrals for this intervention.
I work therapeutically with a range of presenting problems, and as a practitioner psychologist am skilled in offering psychological therapy to people experiencing complex mental health issues. I am particularly interested in working with teenagers and young adults in my private practice but can work with individuals of all ages.
In addition to offering psychological therapy, I am currently available to take on a number of supervisees. These slots may suit Counselling Psychologists in training in particular - please enquire for further details.
Please note that I do not offer diagnostic services.
To take things forward, please get in touch through the contact form or call the number detailed above. From here, I will offer you an assessment appointment to find out more about you and your goals for therapy. This session will last around 90 minutes and will allow you to ask any questions and explore any concerns. Subsequent sessions will each last 50 minutes and can take place weekly, fortnightly or monthly depending on your needs.
Training, qualifications & experience
Training and Qualifications
- BA (Hons) Psychology: First Class (University of Strathclyde)
- Doctorate in Psychology (D.Psych) in Counselling Psychology (Glasgow Caledonian University)
- BPS approved Certificate in Clinical Supervision (SDS Seminars Ltd)
- NES Generic Supervision Competences (GSC) training
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
- NES Specialist Supervision Training: CBT
- Mental Health First Aid Training
- Child Protection: An Introduction and Refresher
- Introduction to Compassion Focused Therapy (NHS Lanarkshire)
- EMDR parts 1 and 2 (Richman EMDR Training) - part 3 to be completed in February 2020.
- Workshops in working with trauma, addiction, anger, conflict and aggression, bereavement, older adults and a wide variety of other presenting issues/populations
I have worked with NHS psychology services and for a number of organisations within the voluntary sector; including a hospice setting, a charity for survivors of abuse and services for children and young people. As a result, I am experienced in working with a variety of presenting difficulties and can work with people of all ages.
I am registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), the regulatory body for Practitioner Psychologists in the UK.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Childhood bereavement
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Work-related stress
Please note that rates have been amended as of October 2017. Rates have been aligned with the "going rate" for psychological therapies, in an attempt to create a standard fee for self-funding and EAP/private medical insurance clients. Fees are negotiable for self-funding clients if required - please get in touch to discuss further.
- Initial assessment/formulation session (1.5 hours) - £135
- Each subsequent session (50 minutes) - £95
- Supervision for qualified professionals (50 minutes) - £65
- Supervision for trainee psychologists (50 minutes) - £45
Fees can be paid via cash or bank transfer. Credit/debit cards are not currently accepted. Payment must be made via bank transfer ahead of the initial assessment for your space to be confirmed. Payments made via transfer in advance of sessions are non-refundable.
Sessions cancelled less than 24 hours in advance will normally be charged at the full rate.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Unsuitable for wheelchair users or people who struggle with stairs - online appointments can be offered as an alternative.
Currently unavailable to take new clients.
Types of client
Supervision & training
I am a Counselling Psychologist, registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).