Serena Menell BA (Hons), Dip Couns, (MNCS - accredited) (MNCP)
Cheltenham Therapy Rooms
10 Bath Street
I have 14 years experience in counselling working with a wide variety of clients, with a wide variety of emotional issues. My particular areas of interest and expertise include: Anxiety, phobias, panic depression, lack of motivation, feeling stuck and overwhelmed, low self esteem, lack of confidence, gender and sexuality issues, relationship, work and communication issues, self-development and achievement of goals.
I have extensive experience in the field of grief, loss, bereavement and trauma and also in the field of illness, injury, chronic long term health conditions, pain, disability and accidents.
Please contact me to discuss your personal situation and needs.
I am an integrative therapist in Cheltenham offering one to one, long or short term counselling to adults and young adults. I work from a peaceful therapeutic space which is central and easily accessible and has free parking. I also offer telephone and online counselling for clients who prefer this, or who are not local. I offer some weekend and evening appointments.
As an integrative therapist I am trained in a variety of approaches and work in client centred, sensitive and individual focussed way. I can offer general integrative counselling, a listening and supportive space and I am also a both a certified Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) practitioner, working in a more solution focussed goal oriented way, and a qualified in Emotional Therapeutic Counsellor (ETC) which is a holistic therapy using specific techniques to help alleviate emotional, upset, pain and blocks.
One size certainly doesn't fit all and the service I offer is very personalised. I work in collaboration with my clients to help them overcome emotional difficulties, pain and to encourage empowerment, change and self-devolopment. My goal is to help my clients to gain the skills and strategies to face and to cope with the challenges life presents and to establish a solid self-belief and sense of self. The concept of "in all things balance" is central to the way that I work. It's about people feeling ok about the issues they have experienced, are experiencing and will experience and their belief in their own ability to manage what comes their way. I offer a safe, empathic, confidential and non-judgemental space where you will be heard, supported, and allowed to express in your own way and in your own time.
Whatever your presenting issue please feel free to call/email for an initial discussion and free initial assessment.
All calls/messages/emails will be returned. Please leave details of the best times to call you back.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in Emotional Therapeutic Counselling (ETC)
- Certificate in Counselling Supervision
- Advanced Practitioner certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (Level 5)
- Certificate in Bereavement Awareness
- Certificate in Counselling Studies (Level 3)
- Certificate in the Fundamentals of Psychotherapy and Counselling
Additional training includes: Attachment Theory, Existential Psychotherapy and Transpersonal Psychotherapy.
Alongside working in private practice, I have been a Cruse Bereavement Volunteer for 7 years and more recently have trained and work as a Supervisor for Cruse Bereavement Care.
I have extensive experience of working for various organisations and charities including: Eating disorders, and LBGTQ support, anxiety and depression.
My background is in the Social Service working as an Employment Officer in the field of learning disability, physical and sensory disability. I have also worked in the field of personal injury/medico legal work.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Emotional Therapeutic Counselling
- Free 1 hour initial assessment - face to face - telephone - email.
- £35 per 1 hour face to face counselling session.
- £30 per 1 hour telephone counselling session.
- £25 per week for email counselling.
- No cancellation fee (as long as suitable notice given).
- No need to book and pay for block sessions.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Flexible appointment times Monday - Friday. Evening appointments available in central Cheltenham between 6pm and 9pm. Telephone/ and email counselling available.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|