Nicola Borthwick, PGCE, BSc (Hons), Dip Couns. Registered Member MBACP
9 Charcot Road
Hello and welcome to my counselling profile ‘Clear Horizons Counselling & Training’.
I specialise in working with adults (individuals & couples) who are experiencing difficult times in their lives. I have spent a number of years counselling parents at a children’s centre in North London, as well as running my own private practice. I have written successful funding bids which have enabled me to work with clients in various community settings from a diverse range of ethnic groups and am used to experiencing different cultural & ethical issues. I am a registered member of the BACP (British Association of Counsellors & Psychotherapists) and work to their code of ethics.
I am also a qualified Post-16 tutor & Adult Community Co-ordinator at a large North London College. I have worked in this sector for 20 years and offer training/workshops in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Transactional analysis (TA) for professionals, as well as clients.
How Can Counselling Help You?
Having taken the initial step to consider counselling, I am able to offer you a supported, safe,
non-judgemental and empathic space to explore your thoughts, feelings and in time be able to reach decisions that are right for you, and therefore move towards your own ‘Clear Horizon’.
People from all walks of life can benefit from counselling. You may find that you’re struggling with relationships, having a crisis in your personal life, facing bereavement or illness, in an abusive relationship or perhaps experiencing anxiety over work issues. You may have feelings of hopelessness, a lack of self-worth or confidence, depression or stress. Whatever the reasons for your present difficulties, these can be explored in counselling. Counselling can help you to reflect and work through any problems in an understanding, secure and safe environment.
Training, qualifications & experience
How I would Work with You
I am an integrative counsellor, which means that I can offer you a variety of methods of counselling suited to your needs. I can work with you in a variety of ways (Person Centred, Cognitive Behavioural therapy (CBT), Transactional Analysis (TA) and basic Psychodynamic), to help you find a way through your difficulties, so that you find your own solutions. I offer both short term and long term counselling.
I have co-ordinated training in the Community Adult Education sector in North London for 20 years and have worked with an extremely diverse range of clients in terms of physical and emotional needs, which has led me to a counselling profession.
I have worked with a broad client group who have experienced anxiety, depression, bereavement, sexual abuse, relationship issues/difficulties, family issues, suicidal feelings, anger issues, OCD and domestic violence, as well as a number of other issues, including personality disorders. In addition, I have worked with various organisations in Barnet to offer counselling training/workshops to both professionals and clients, who want to learn about Cognitive Behavioural therapy (CBT) and Transactional Analysis (TA).
My Qualifications & Training
Diploma in Integrative Therapeutic Counselling (Aylesbury College)
Certificate in CBT (Amersham & Wycombe College)
Counselling for Couples (2 Day Course Langley Therapy)
Counselling for Couples (CPD Workshop)
Introduction to Mindfulness (ECLIPSE)
Neuro-Linguistic Programming (Barnet College)
Safeguarding & Child Protection for Professionals with Designated Responsibility (Group 4)(Barnet Council)
PGCE in Post-16 Education & Training (University of Hertfordshire)
BSc (Hons) 1st Class, Environmental Studies (University of Hertfordshire)
NVQ Training & Development Level 3 (Oaklands College)
HNC Business & Administration (Glyndwr University/NEWI)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
Photos & videos
FREE Introductory Session (for Individuals)
I offer an initial FREE 50 minute assessment session where we can discuss your individual needs, giving you the opportunity to ask questions and explore together the best way, for you, to move forward.
REDUCED RATE 1.5 hour Assessment (for Couples. Charged at Hourly Rate - See Below)
Fees at Welwyn
Sessions in Welwyn are charged at £40 per counselling hour for individuals (50 minutes) (Concessions may be available) and £55 per hour for couples (60 minutes)
Fees at Colindale
Sessions in Colindale are charged at £42 per counselling hour (50 minutes) (Concessions may be available) and £57 per hour for couples (60 minutes).
Concessions are available for counselling students. Please enquire for further details.
Where I Offer Counselling
Counselling sessions in Old Welwyn are held in my conservatory overlooking my peaceful garden. There is dedicated parking, as well as free road parking. I offer evenings (between 6.30 and 9.30pm) and weekend morning appointments. (Please see photos above)
In Colindale, they are held at The Colindale Trust's Community Venue, (15 Osler Court, Charcot Road, NW9 5XW) in the heart of Colindale which is close to public transport links, including both tube (nearest tube is Colindale) and bus. There is also nearby free road parking. (Alternatively appointments may be available on Grahame Park, where free parking is generally available). I offer evenings (between 6.30 and 9.30pm) and weekend morning appointments.
Feedback Comments from Previous Counselling Clients
- ‘Natural ' closure. Feel I have the tools needed to move forward for the first time in a long time. Nicola has a soft approach that suited me. Very flexible/accommodating. I believe counselling can be useful. It's good to have someone without an agenda to support you through challenging times.’
- 'Relaxing and practical in her approach. A variety of methods were used to find the most suitable for for me & I've benefited as a result. Useful tools & guides to use outside the sessions.'
- ‘I think every area of the counselling has been very helpful to all aspects of my developmental progress'.
- 'I have found the sessions extremely helpful for my well being & mind. I have grown in confidence & have become more assertive using the tools I have learnt.'
- ‘I found the CBT techniques extremely helpful.’
- The communication 'I' statements & the CBT 'STOP' sheets were really helpful.'
- Nicola was very supportive and understanding. We spoke a lot about communicating with other people (relatives and friends).
- The opportunity to analyse and discuss. Looking at communication and the drama triangle.'
- 'It was good to work back and look forward. It was useful to talk to someone who I didn't know or who knew me.'
- 'Being able to express my feelings without being judged and to have someone to listen to me and hear what I am saying.'
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Evenings & weekends
Types of client