Marva Sherman PG Dip MBACP
49 Queen Victoria Street
- I came into the counselling profession after having my own experience of therapy when going through personal difficulties. I decided to make counselling my career choice and vocation as I enjoyed supporting others with their difficulties. I started my training in 1997 and have many years experience working in the voluntary sector with clients experiencing depression anxiety relationship problems and childhood difficulties.
- I am now fully qualified and work in an NHS service as a counsellor and couples therapist.
- I have had my own personal therapy over the years which I feel is important when working with clients to have the experience of what it it is like to work through your emotional difficulties.
- I enjoy supporting my client's to improve their wellbeing and I am fully committed to my client's progress and journey through therapy.
- If you would like to take the first steps to explore a difficulty in your life or are ready to make a change and want a safe, supportive and confidential space to start your journey give me a call and we can make a start together.
- I offer a free telephone consultation appointment where we can briefly speak and discuss your difficulties with no obligation to continue, unless we both feel comfortable working together.
- I offer concessions in particular circumstances and will be happy to discuss this with you.
Training, qualifications & experience
PG Diploma Level training in Counselling using Transactional Analysis
BACP endorsed Counselling for Depression Certificate.
Couples Therapy for Depression Qualification
Post graduate Certificate Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Risk Assessment Training
Emotion Focussed Therapy Training
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Counselling for Black and minority ethnic issues. Racial discrimination issues, Cultural issues
Couples Therapy for Depression
Counselling for Depression
Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
Photos & videos
initial session 50 mins free
£50 per 55 minute session - Individual sessions
£65 per 55 minute session - Couples Therapy
£50 per 55 minute session- Mindfulness and Compassion Training.
£40 per 60 min session telephone sessions.
Two low cost spaces are currently available for client's experiencing financial hardship. (please enquire).
The first initial assessment is free. This gives us both an opportunity to see if we both feel we can work together and there is no obligation to work together.
If we both mutually agree to work together we can move on to a formal assessment which lasts 50 minutes where the cost will be my standard fee as shown above.
If we agree not to work together I would always be happy to recommend other therapists for you to contact who may be more suitable for your needs.
I am always happy to have a chat on the phone if you have any questions you need to ask. Just contact me by phone or email and I will ensure I will reply to you within 24 hours.
Your therapy sessions are always confidential. There are times when confidentiality may be need to be broken. For instance if you were at risk of harm either to yourself or from others and also if I feel someone around you may be at risk of harm. I would always try to discuss this with you first if possible.
This is a part of the codes of ethics which I abide by as an ethical practitioner. I am a member of the BACP who have codes of conduct and standards for professional Counsellors and Psychotherapists.
I provide a standard therapy business contract which states how we will work together stipulate regular reviews and also cancellation and holiday policy.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I currently have spaces on Monday, day and evening appointments and Wednesday evenings I am available on weekends and some Bank Holidays to offer flexibility for clients.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|