James Brown Wyper MBACP. Counsellor/ Psychotherapist,Supervisor. BSc hons. NMC.
Hello, welcome and thank-you for visiting my profile.
If what you have in your life right now is not working for you, then why not speak to me in relation to the sensitive, safe, confidential and individualised Counselling Therapy I provide in my practice. I can help you rebuild your life after traumatic events. I work using the therapeutic models of Person-Centred, Humanistic, Psychodyanamic and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
I specialise in psychological trauma, post traumatic stress disorder, bereavement, addictions, anxiety disorder, depression, bi-polar/manic depression, terminal illness, relationship issues, sexuality and hoarding.
I can offer you support and respect in your intimate journey to another chapter in your life. We all need safety in our lives and with me, together we can discuss new aims, goals and expectations which can become a reality for you.
I will work with you in the Humanistic, Psychodynamic, Cognitive Behavioural and Person-Centred Models of Counselling Therapy.
There is no time frame with the counselling therapy I provide and together we will individualise your needs to promote positive results and lead to inner happiness and personal fulfillment.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- Registered General Nurse, RGN, BSc (Hons), Queens University of Belfast, School of Nursing and Midwifery
- Certificates in Person-centred, Psychodynamic,Humanistic and Cognitive Behavioural Models of Counselling Practice
- Accredited Counselling and Clinical Nursing Supervisor
- Specialist (Band 6) Nurse Practitioner in Palliative Care/Marie Curie Nursing Services, Northern Ireland
- Certificate in Gestalt Counselling
- Assessor in NVQ Levels 2 and 3, Health and Social Care
- Certificate in Foundation Studies
- Certificate in Lecturing (Health and Social Care, AS and AL levels of Pre-University Students
- Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Certificate in Counselling Theory
- Certificate in Group facilitation and personal development
- Certificates and modules in specialist bereavement care, addictions, suicide awareness, sexual identity, transgender, image reconstruction, self-harm, palliative and terminal care, stress management and life-coaching.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have 30 years experience working with addictions and this alongside my specialist areas of palliative and bereavement care has allowed me to gain vast experience and much exposure to end of life care. As a nurse practitioner and counsellor I have worked primarily with my patient whilst supporting the families and friends in coping with the emotions and feelings related to pre and post diagnosis and care of the dying person. This I have been able to develop in hospital, intensive care, hospice and community environments and provision of aftercare for the loved ones left behind. Throughout my counselling training I have expanded in clinical expertise in Cruse Bereavement Care Northern Ireland where I trained and practiced in working with clients, supervision, group facilitation, public information and in-house training .The training and exposure with clients was an excellent platform for me in my own journey of personal development as a Counsellor and I owe tremendous gratitude to the Charity and every client I felt humbled to work with. I also have personal and professional experience in equine and other animal/pet bereavement support. This has been enhanced by my own losses of horses, dogs, cats and rabbits. The emotions felt in grief and loss are always the same and every human being is an individual in how they cope with it.
My work in addictions has allowed me to see clients along with partners, families and friends and also within Prison and Young Offenders Units .There are many different components held within the term, "Addiction" and alcohol, drugs, gambling, behaviours, relationships, stress management, low self confidence, sexual, anxiety and eating disorders would be the main areas which I have much clinical expertise whilst many others can be explored in therapy as the process develops.I have been able in private practice to work with sexual identity and transgender tranformation and continue to develop as a practitioner.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Equine therapy
- Existential therapy
- Family/systemic therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Group therapy
- Human Givens psychotherapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Interpersonal therapy
- Jungian therapy
- Other therapies
- Person-centred therapy
- Psychoanalytic therapy
Counselling sessions are one hour and cost:
Individual counselling £45/ hour (Sliding scale available)
Initial assessment session £35
Couples counselling £70/ hour
Cancellation fee £15 if less than 24 hours notice (with exception of medical emergency)
Counselling Supervision £35/ hour (Concessions available for small groups)
Student and concessionary rate £30 / hour
Home Visits £55/ hour
I am an Accredited Supervisor trained with Cruse Bereavement Care NI. I practiced there for 3 years and was provided by the agency, with as recognised by BACP , one to one, group and peer supervision.
I am also an Accredited Clinical Supervisor with Marie Curie Nursing Service NI, having conducted my training in Belfast and Birmingham, provided by the Charity. I presently facilitate 4 groups of registered nurses and senior healthcare assistants (6 weekly) for clinical supervision and peer support. I have been in this role for almost 3 years.
In my Private Practice I currently see counsellors, students
(conducting Diploma and Degree Courses) providing all aspects of Supervision, including group. I am in sole practice for over 1 year.
I adhere to the Code of Practice with BACP at all times.
Testimonial. Client- Lady from Belfast.
I was assigned to James in 2012, after my Dear husband had died almost 4 months previous, in the Marie Curie Hospice, Belfast. He had suffered Lung Cancer with Brain Metastes secondries.
James provided a safe, confidential setting and his soft, sensitive manner made me feel at ease with him immediately. I saw James for 8 sessions which allowed me to speak about my grief, loss, emotions and feelings since losing my husband. I was allowed to take my time in the Counselling process and begin to embrace this new chapter in my life.
I will be forever grateful to have the special man called James who became my Counsellor.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Available evenings and weekends, daytime on request
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am an Accredited Supervisor trained with Cruse Bereavement Care, Belfast.View supervision profile