What makes us indecisive and what we can do about it
Many factors can cause us to be indecisive, such as -
- Not enough information
- Fear of failure/making a mistake
- Fear of change
- Fear of actually making a decision
- Hoping someone will make the decision for us
- A certain vagueness over making the decision
- Possibly attempting to make a decision based on how others feel rather than our own convictions.
Indecision is not about making the correct choice. Rather, it is about being blocked from taking action. Decisions need to made every day.
Tips to help you get off the fence
- Limit the amount of information you take in. There is a point where it becomes information overload. Know your own cut off point with this.
- Do not let your fear and insecurities hold you back. If your fear of remaining in the same situation is bigger than the fear of making that decision and taking action then this is your catalyst for change.
- How bad do you really want something in your life? If you are half-hearted and only kind of want something chances are you will remain on the fence.
Examples of procrastinating are:
- Staying in that job you really do not like, the one which is affecting your health and well-being.
- Staying in that relationship when you know it is not right for you.
If you have a dream are you willing to do anything to make it happen? As the quote by Jim Rohn states:-
"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."
When you really want something you will find strength, courage and an unshakable resolve inside of you that you didn't even know existed.
If you need support, a professional counsellor can help you to explore what holds you back from making decisions, and to help you to find the resilience and resolve to make a positive change.
Find a therapist dealing with anxiety
All therapists are verified professionals.