Steve Banfield, BSc Psych., Dip.Counselling., MSc Integ.Psychotherapy
Making the decision to come to therapy can be difficult. My approach is to establish a trusting relationship within which we can explore the issues that brought you to that decision to seek help. I work supportively, with some challenge, so that we can re-examine and change your ways of living when these are not working for you.
I am a qualified BACP-registered counsellor and UKCP-accredited psychotherapist with seven years’ public and private sector experience, which includes long- and short-term work. I hold a first class degree in psychology, a diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling and an MSc in Integrative Psychotherapy. In addition to private practice, I have also worked in NHS and charity settings such as Samaritans, Cruse and Mind.
My integrative training includes CBT, Psychodynamic and Relational approaches, which means I can work with you to change unhelpful ways of behaving and thinking, as well as exploring deeper-seated emotional issues and problematic patterns of relating originating in your childhood.
Areas in which I have had working experience include: depression, anxiety, OCD, self-harm, suicidality, low self-esteem, the effects of trauma, 'borderline' (emotionally unstable) personality disorder, and bereavement and loss.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Metanoia Institute, Ealing (2011-17) Middlesex University-accredited MSc/Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy + Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling (2011-15).
- Counselling skills training at Concern, a WPF affiliate, in Ipswich (2009-11).
- Cruse bereavement counsellor training, Norfolk (2010).
- Samaritans training, Norwich (2009-10).
- Open University BSc, distance learning (2004-9).
- Metanoia/Middlesex University MSc/Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy, 2017.
- Metanoia Diploma in Integrative Psychodynamic Counselling, 2015.
- Wpf Diploma in Counselling Skills, 2011.
- Wpf Certificate in Counselling Skills, 2010.
- BSc in Psychology, Open University, 2009.
- Private practice from home, 2015-present.
- Psychotherapy placement at Oxleas NHS, Woolwich, 2016-present.
- Counselling placement, Awareness Centre, Clapham/Stockwell NHS, 2013-15.
- Counselling placement, Metanoia Counselling Services, 2012-13.
- Bereavement counsellor, Cruse, Norfolk, 2011-12.
- Samaritans telephone befriending volunteer, Norwich, 2010-11.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£50 per hour
I was formerly an EFL teacher and teacher trainer with a teaching diploma and Master's degree in applied linguistics. I worked in both the UK and overseas. I wrote and directed tailor-made courses, as well as tutoring on internationally recognised Cambridge certificate (CELTA) and diploma (DELTA) courses. I taught and trained people of various nationalities and cultural backgrounds. I am an IELTS examiner. I speak French and German.