Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
This professional is available for new clients.
This professional is available for new clients.
My name is Jane Watkins and I am a CBT Therapist specialising in treating anxiety disorders.
I treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Stress, low self-esteem and perfectionism. I also have significant experience in helping people with ADHD, particularly in workplace or educational settings.
Here is a list of the common things my clients come for help with. Probably not all will apply to you, but you maybe able to identify with some:
- Are you worrying all the time? Are your worries starting off with "what if" and focus on all the worst things that could happen (catastrophising)?
- Are you fearful you are not good enough and that you will get “found out” (often called imposter syndrome).
- Are you full of self-doubt? feel a bad person, maybe unloveable and/or worthless (maybe not all the time, but that rollercoaster feeling of being ok and then not ok)?
- Would you describe your life a rollercoaster of emotions that you find confusing? Maybe you spend ages trying to 'control' your mind without success?
- Are you a people pleaser and/or have difficulty saying no to others?
- Would you rather avoid things than experience the anxiety it provokes?
- Do you fear that having a horrible thought means the thought is true and means something about you (even though you know it is not true)?
- Do you agonise over past conversations and try to work out what to say for future conversations?
- Do you fear others see you in a negative or judgemental way?
- Do you feel you can’t cope without reassurance from others?
- Do you find you procrastinate and feel you can't meet the goals you set yourself, resulting in frustration, disappointment and low mood?
Can therapy help me?
Yes, with work and motivation and time. It is horrible to be feeling this way. It is also really hard work and exhausting. Feeling stuck and helpless all the time is miserable. Success does depend on the work you put in between sessions and I will help and support you all the way. You may have ‘practiced’ being anxious for a very long time. You can probably say you are really good at it now! In order to change this to more helpful habits and choices, it will take practice. I am an accredited CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) Therapist and also practice CFT (Compassion Focused Therapy). I only offer evidence based therapies that I know work.
What is CBT?
CBT is a great therapy that is constantly evolving to support clients. At the start of therapy we will look at the vicious cycle that is locking you in to your anxiety. We then work to break that cycle into something more helpful and empowering. The aim is, that the skills you learn during this process can be used for the rest of your life.
What is CFT?
CFT is really helpful to look at how we get stuck and how to get unstuck! It has so many resources to help people understand their evolutionary tricky brains, we all have it, we can't help it but we can manage it! It helps us to learn to self soothe in helpful ways. There is a lot of cool science to CFT as it draws on neuroscience, CBT and evolutionary psychology. Don't worry though, I will explain it all in a very simple to understand ways. CFT can help achieve balance in life and calm that self-critic that torments us.
Who do I treat?
Adults and children from 13 years up.
What can you expect from therapy with me?
You can expect honesty, kindness, no judgement and a down to earth approach with no psychology jargon. I want to help you to become your own therapist so you can manage your mind in a more helpful way. I feel privileged to take this journey with all my clients. Please do check out my website for more information and we could arrange a telephone call to enable you to ask me any questions you have and for me make sure I think I can help.
I offer a service that I would be happy for my own loved ones to come to. I am a fully qualified and BABCP accredited Cognitive Psychotherapist (you maybe more familiar with this being called Cognitive Behaviour Therapy usually shortened to CBT).
I want to see you face to face but you live too far away
I understand this, of course. However, it would not matter where I live, this would be the case for most people not in a reasonable driving distance. But now, with Teams and Zoom location does not matter anymore.
I always speak to prospective new clients via phone first to make sure I think I can help (15 minutes free call). If you would like to try video therapy out but are not sure, lets do that call via zoom and see how you find it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
The evidence suggests that the efficacy of online therapy is as good as that of face to face. There are added advantages of online therapy as well, such as, being comfortable in your own space, no worries about travel and convenience. I do not offer telephone therapy, as from experience, it does not work as well.
I look forward to hearing from you :-)
Training, qualifications & experience
- Post graduate Diploma in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (PGCert) from the Institute of Psychiatry in London
- Compassionate Focussed Therapy (CFT) Training at the Compassionate Mind Foundation
- ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy)
- Post Graduate Certificate (PG cert) in Systemic therapy from the Institute of Family Therapy in London
- Diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy recognised by the General Hypnotherapy Council (DypHip)
- Mentalisation training at the Anna Freud Centre in London
- Trained in Non Violent Resistance parenting programme (NVR) and Triple P
- BSc (hons) in Mental Health Nursing from Kings College in London
I have worked in the NHS and private sector for the last 18 years in a variety of services across all age groups, including children, adolescents (teenagers) and adults.
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
The BABCP is the lead organisation for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in the UK. Membership is open to anyone with an interest in the practice, theory or development of CBT. BABCP also provides accreditation for CBT therapists. BABCP accredited members adhere to the Standards of Conduct, Performance and Ethics in the Practice of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies, and are willing to be scrutinised in this adherence as required.
Accredited register membership
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£100.00 per session
£100 for a 60 minute session
How to pay:
Payment can be made via bank transfer 48 hrs prior to the session. This fee is non-refundable if you do not attend without giving me 48 hours notice and cannot be transferred to a future session.
I require 48 hours notice of cancellation to give me the opportunity to fill your slot. If you do not give me 48 hours notice then the session is payable. This is always difficult so please avoid this situation and give me prior notice if you need to cancel.
When I work
Wednesday: 9.00 am - 5.00 pm
Thursday: 9.00 am - 5.00 pm
Friday: 9.00 am - 12.30 pm
Sessions strictly by appointment
Closed bank holidays