Hi there, I’m Jamie, I’m a counsellor and Hakomi practitioner. It can be difficult to choose a counsellor from all the different profiles. If you are here, my guess is that you have something you want support with, so let me tell you a bit about myself to help you decide if what I have to offer is something that could work for you.
It is important for me that you feel comfortable enough to talk about what is happening for you in our work together. I do this by providing a warm and safe space where you are accepted for who you are.
I am a Person-Centred counsellor, which is a talking therapy focused on supporting you to find the answers within yourself. I am also a Hakomi practitioner, which is a mindfulness based, body centred practice which supports you to study yourself. For me, it is the whole of your experience that is important; physical, mental, emotional and spiritual.
Training, qualifications & experience
My experience and specialisms:
I have been studying Hakomi for a number of years which has its roots in Taoism and Buddhism. My research explored the connection between body, mind, emotions and spirit which is also an integral part of Hakomi. Alongside these things, I have completed non-religious pastoral care training with Humanists UK and have a particular interest in spirituality.
I have worked in education for a long time (qualifying in 2002), and my most recent consultancy work has been supporting health professionals. Passionate about supporting other helpers, part of my research was understanding aspects of self-care for counsellors. This and my Hakomi experience have led me to delivering workshops on Mindful Relating which is an introduction to the Hakomi method and loving presence.
My volunteering work has included volunteering as a listener for Samaritans, and counselling in a cancer support service and a bereavement service. Questions of life and death can be a big part of our experience as humans. If these are questions you have and you want support in exploring them, I can help.
My professional qualifications:
- Master of Arts in Clinical Counselling with Distinction (BACP Accredited) University of Chester
- Certified Hakomi Practitioner Hakomi Education Network
- Institute of Leadership and Management Certificate in Coaching and Mentoring Liverpool John Moores University
- Master of Arts Advanced Educational Practice (Mentoring and Coaching) with Merit Liverpool John Moores University
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education (Secondary Science) Edge Hill University
I love to learn, and here are some of the additional courses I have attended:
- Counselling Adult Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse – delivered by Jo Ridley.
Accredited Non-Religious Pastoral Care Volunteer – delivered by Humanists UK.
- Supporting survivors of sexual violence, creative bereavement and play therapy –
- Inspire and Connect Conference delivered by The Creative Counsellors Club.
- ‘Psychs in the City’: Why don’t they just leave (domestic abuse) – delivered by Keri Nixon through the British Psychological Society.
- Loss and Bereavement Training Course – delivered by Liverpool Bereavement Service.
- Sexualised Trauma Training – delivered by Zoe Lodrick through Trust House Lancashire.
- Introduction to Existential Therapy – delivered by Emmy van Deurzen through Northwest CPD events for Counselling & Psychotherapy.
- Dreams - A Gestalt Approach – delivered by Alan Leach through Northwest CPD events for Counselling & Psychotherapy.
- A Pluralistic Approach to Counselling and Psychotherapy – delivered by Mick Cooper through Northwest CPD events for Counselling & Psychotherapy.
- Understanding Self-Injury and Self-Harm – delivered by Andrew Reeves through Chester University Counsellors' Community.
- Exploring Family Therapy – delivered by Ged Smith through Chester University Counsellors' Community.
- Mental Health First Aid – delivered by Mental Health First Aid England.
- Counselling former members of abusive groups and relationships – delivered by Gillie Jenkinson through BACP.
You can find full details of my qualifications and experience on my LinkedIn profile here:
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Photos & videos
Sessions cost £50 an hour.
A discount is available for trainee counsellors or if you are on a supported income. Please get in touch to discuss.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|