Helen Graham-Psychotherapist & UKCP Accredited Counsellor, MSc in Psychotherapy
I am a highly qualified counsellor and psychotherapist who has a wealth of experience working with a diverse range of people and the whole of their issues. I offer a relaxed, safe and confidential therapeutic space to explore issues that may be troubling you in a caring, non-judgemental and accepting way. Feel free to contact me on 07933 709399 to discuss your needs.
I offer evening, weekend, early morning and daytime appointments. I work in the centre of Durham where there is FREE parking outside my premises. It is also on a bus route.
I understand that everyone can go through difficult times in life and we all can benefit from support in handling these challenges.
In difficult situations I aim to help you to:
- Understand your issues
- Clarify any confusion you may have
- Feel more control in your life
- Cope with your life more easily
- Approach life with a clearer mind
- Move forward with your life
Using a wide range of psychotherapeutic approaches, I can facilitate a deeper understanding of yourself. People I have worked with tell me their therapeutic experience with me has increased their confidence, self-awareness, personal growth and they have gained a deeper sense of meaning, purpose and contentment.
If you don't see your issue on this profile, please contact me to discuss your needs.
Phone today for a consultation with no obligation for further sessions.
I provide training and supervision opportunities for counsellors/psychotherapists.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a fully qualified accredited UKCP Clinical Psychotherapeutic Counsellor and a registered member of the BACP. I have completed training on a Psychotherapeutic Counselling course accredited by the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy, and have a Post Graduate Diploma in Psychotherapy (equivalent to level 7) with Newman University. I have professional and academic qualifications in psychotherapy. I completed a MSc in Psychotherapy with Newman University.
I have extensive experience working for counselling and mental health services including, GP Surgeries, mental health day centres, universities, colleges, counselling charities such as, Sunderland Mind and Sunderland Counselling Services, occupational health organisations, Gateshead and South Tyneside council and in my own private practice- Counselling Talking Therapy.
My additional and specialist training includes work related stress, anxiety disorder, anger issues, bereavement, depression, low mood, relationship difficulties, loneliness and low confidence, mental health issues, eating distress, body dysmorphia, post traumatic stress disorder, social anxiety, phobias, OCD, childhood issues, domestic violence, and sexual violence and abuse.
I have worked in the education sector for over 15 years, providing training, teaching and mentoring.
I currently work part time as a counsellor for Newcastle University. I also assist in teaching counselling skills and theory at Durham University in their psychology department.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Affairs and betrayals
Separation and divorce
Work related stress
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Jungian therapy
- Other therapies
- Person-centred therapy
Photos & videos
£45 individual session for counselling or psychotherapy
£45 EAP work
I offer short and long term counselling or psychotherapy appointments.
Counselling is for short term issues. I recommend a minimum of 6 weeks
* Helps people identify problems and crises and encourages them to take positive steps to resolve these issues.
* It is the best course of therapeutic treatment for anyone who already has an understanding of wellbeing, and who is also able to resolve problems.
* Counselling is a short-term process that encourages the change of behaviour.
Psychotherapy is often used for longstanding personal issues, drawing insight into deeper emotional difficulties and looks at the foundation of the problem- a minimum of 20 sessions. I teach skills to help you manage difficult emotions more effectively and help with psychological problems that have built up over the course of a long period of time.
I can support you in choosing the best course of therapy:
* Cognitive and behavioural therapies (focusing on the way people think and behave)
* Psychoanalytic therapies (looking at how past experiences affect the present)
* Humanistic therapies (with a focus on self-development and growth)
* Arts therapies (using the creative arts in a therapeutic way)
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime, Weekends, Evenings and Early Mornings
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|