Diane Norbury - Psychosexual, Relationship and Sex Addiction Therapist
I am an Accredited and experienced Counsellor/Psychotherapist, Psychosexual, Relationship and Sex Addiction Therapist. I have several years experience of working within the NHS, Relate and Private Practice. I work with individuals and couples, offering a safe, confidential, non judgemental and professional service. My style of therapy includes cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), Systemic, and Psychodynamic theories.
I am a member of the College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists (COSRT), an Accredited member of the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP) and a member of the Association for the Treatment of Sexual Addiction & Compulsivity (ATSAC).
Most of us at some point in our life experience difficulties within our relationship and/or sexual relationships. The process of counselling assists people who are worried about sexual or relationship difficulties or behaviours to explore and gain an understanding of how the difficulties arose. Once an understanding has been achieved, it is then possible for individuals and/or couples to decide what changes they want to make and how to achieve them.
I believe the process of counselling offers individuals and couples a safe, quiet space to feel heard and understood. A place to share fears and concerns and to develop understanding and insight to enable options for change to be explored and personal growth to occur.
In my experience many clients approaching therapy feel anxious and overwhelmed by their difficulties. Many are at a loss as to how to resolve their issues. Some are resigned to never improving the difficulties they are experiencing. Often people describe feeling 'stuck', a desire to be 'normal'. These worries often impact on many areas of individual's lives, particularly relationships and intimacy.
I tailor my approach to suit individual clients. I generally see clients on a fortnightly basis. Within the therapy setting I assist clients to talk about their sexual and/or relationship difficulties. Working together to understand their origin and then gradually guide you through a practical programme which will help you both overcome your problems and reduce your anxiety about them. Dependant on the therapy undertaken homework may be set to complete at home between sessions.
The types of issues I have helped with have included:
- Lack/Loss of sexual interest in both men and women
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Premature Ejaculation
- Retarded/Delayed Ejaculation
- Sexual pain problems; Vaginismus (Painful or impossible intercourse)
- Dyspareunia (painful intercourse)
- Anorgasmia (Unable to reach orgasm)
- Sexual Aversion
- Differences in sex drives between partners
- Gender Dysphoria
- Sexual identity issues
- Sexual problems arising out of altered body appearance or function, including surgery (breast or genital treatment for conditions such as cancer, stomas, scarring).
- Sexual difficulties following sexual traumas including sexual assault, sexual abuse
- Relationship difficulties/issues
- Communication problems
- Divorce & Separation
- Loss of intimacy
- Commitment issues
- Past relationship difficulties affecting present relationships
- Sexual Addiction/Compulsivity
- Sexual behaviour that feels out of control
- Compulsive masturbation
- Compulsive use of pornography
- Anonymous sex
- Having multiple ongoing affairs
- Chat room/online sex
I support partners of those with sexual addiction/compulsivity.
Of course this list is not exhaustive, and there may be other kinds of sexual and relationship difficulties I can help with.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Post Graduate Diploma in Psychosexual Therapy
- Paula Hall - Facilitator Training for Sex Addiction Group Work
- Professional Certificate in Sex Addiction
- Relate - Working with Couples
- Surviving The Life-Quake Supporting Partners of Sex Addicts
- Gender Dysphoria Study Day
- Crossing The Line STOPSO
- BA (Hons), RGN, RHV
- Sexual Health Advising in Practice
- Cruse Awareness in Bereavement Care
- Adult Survivors of Sexual Abuse (Relate)
- Domestic Violence & Abuse (Relate)
- Safeguarding Children (Level 3)
- Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults
- City and Guilds 7307 Teaching Certificate
- Mindfulness for sex and Intimacy
- Accredited Certified Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)
- NCFE Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills and Theory
- NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills and Theory
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Psychosexual Therapy - Individuals & Couples £50.00
Relationship Therapy - Individuals & couples £50.00
Sex Addiction £60.00
Supporting Partners of sex Addicts £50.00
Payment by cash, cheque, bank transfer or Paypal
Sessions also available via Skype
I offer daytime, evening and weekend appointments