Dennis Rice, Gestalt Counsellor Therapist.
49a Brokesley Street
0208 880 7399 / 07492 404599
Profile Photo © Dennis Rice - Strictly No Reuse.
I am a Gestalt-trained counsellor working from therapy practices in Coldbath Square, Farringdon (EC1) and in Bow, East London (E3).
Ten things I would like to help you with:
- Help you to feel heard.
- Acknowledge whatever it is that is troubling you.
- Become curious about yourself, and how you are in the world.
- Challenge you when appropriate, especially around fixed positions you are reluctant to shift from, even if they are unhelpful or damaging for you.
- Develop your awareness, again especially about how you interact with the world around you.
- De-role you so that for at least 50 minutes-a-week you are an individual i.e. not just a parent, a bread-winner, a people-pleaser etc.
- Help you mobilise yourself (and I must emphasise this only happens when you declare yourself ready) towards change.
- Accompany you and support you when you have to go to difficult places in the therapy room.
- Encourage you to sit with painful feelings, dwell a while is possible, then assist you to safely re-emerge.
- Sometimes hold what you cannot and, again only when you are ready and able, help you to take it back a piece at a time.
Primarily I see clients who want help with anxiety and stress-related issues, but I also have a strong interest in assisting anyone who feels what was once an enjoyable past-time might be veering towards an addiction. I have experience as working as a voluntary prison liaison officer for Gamblers Anonymous (GA), and of running and speaking at meetings for both GA, and also Narcotics Anonymous.
I see therapy as a great personal and business tool and strongly believe that the robustness it adds to a client via good supportive empathic therapy greatly aids both. I also volunteer one day for a mental health charity and have considerable experience with helping clients work their way through issues around anxiety, sexual abuse, relationships, and bereavement.
My training is in Gestalt and, to that end, I very much like the idea of helping my client to explore what past or future interruptions might be affecting their well-being in the present, particularly as it has been shown that the more 'present' we are the more we are able to lead happier and more fulfilling lives.
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become." Carl Jung.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in Counselling from the Gestalt Centre, London.
- Introductory Certificate in Humanistic Counselling from the Gestalt Centre, London.
- I also have an honours degree in English Literature (2:1).
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Drug abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Postnatal depression
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am particularly interested in working with clients who express what some psychotherapists refer to as "complicated grief," that is to say feelings around loss which are so overwhelming that it feels like you can't move on, that they just won't go away.
Anxiety is also, in my experience, a condition which we can carry for many, many years. Like grief, a new loss or and traumatic event can link to all the others and become very de-stabilising for the individual. Applying reason, or telling someone they should be over it by now, doesn't work. Your experience is your experience and I believe in honouring that.
I am also interested in how the body itself can hold and remember trauma going way back, and also how stimulating and mobilised clients can become when they start to get back in touch with what is going on in their bodies.
"The body never lies. Whenever you move, walk or talk, you bring with you all your life." Martha Graham, dancer and performer.
Photos & videos
£65 for a 50 minute session in Bow, East London; or £85 at the Farringdon practice ( about the same walking time to both Farringdon and Angel Islington stations).
I also offer a reduced fee of £35 for a 30 minute Skype or telephone counselling session.
I am a fully qualified Gestalt counsellor and therapist (www.therapy4u.online) offering help for clients with anxiety, stress, bereavement, and relationship difficulties. I am also interested in helping clients who suffer with addiction, which I have considerable experience in as a former prison liaison officer with Gamblers Anonymous, who has also helped members of Narcotics Anonymous.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday-Friday 9am-8pm, saturdays 9am-1pm.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|