Child and Youth Counselling is a service specialising in issues that affect children, young people, families and adults. The service is run by Basi a qualified Accredited Registered Member of the BACP. I specialise and trained specifically in working with children and young people/adults.
Due to Covid-19 we can discuss whether you want video, audio, live chat or telephone sessions. I work online via Zoom as this is the most secure online platform for one to one sessions now offering password and waiting room features.
Are you feeling anxiety, sad, low mood or low self esteem? These are areas that I am qualified to work in and have over a decade of experience supporting clients with these concerns.
* If you are a parent experiencing anxiety about your child or young person, please contact me for a consultation (charged) of how I could support you and your family. Is your child having a difficult time with their friends, siblings or in school? Has your child left university unexpectedly? Are you questioning or confused about their future and how you can help? Is your child finding it difficult to settle? Do they have issues with perfectionism? Identity? Are you struggling with parenting in general?
* Are you having relationship struggles with them? is your child finding it difficult to cope after a separation and divorce, Are they coping with being in a step family? Is this affecting your relationship with them? Finding it difficult to communicate with them or understand their needs? Are they still struggling after the Covid-19 lock down? I can offer a specialised non judgemental service that will support you as a parent.
* Are you a young person/adult finding it hard to come to terms with your life? Are you feeling worried about your future? Do you have family issues? Are you struggling with relationship issues with family and friends? Are you struggling with school, college, university or work? Are you feeling under pressure? Are you generally feeling low and unhappy within yourself? I can offer you support in a safe space where you can explore your needs.
* If you are an adult (not parenting) I can offer you safe and confidential therapeutic counselling that supports you with the things you are experiencing. These may stem from your childhood, current relationships or be work related amongst other issues. Do not hesitate to reach out and we can discuss how my service can help you.
* I also offer a service for schools and Children's Services amongst other statutory bodies and organisations - please do not hesitate to contact me for further information of what I can bring to your organisation. I can offer a tailor made service for your organisation.
It is important for me to provide an accessible, honest, professional and friendly service for the children, young people, adults, families and the organisations I work with.
I want all my clients to feel comfortable and confident to ask questions, share their concerns, and work in collaboration with me. I believe the best results come from working in partnership to support the well being each client both emotionally and socially.
I am an integrative child/person centred Counsellor/Therapist. This means my counselling approach is tailored towards working with each individual child, young person or adult and their unique set of needs. I employ a range of techniques, such as play, art, drama and sand tray work as well as talking to encourage clients to express themselves creatively and safely so that they can work on the issues that they are struggling with. I offer a safe non judgemental space.
Please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss your needs.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am an accredited registered member of the BACP and adhere to the BACP Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy. I am also an Associate Member of the Barbados Society of Psychology.
I am an experienced Counsellor/Therapist in schools since 2009. I have both a Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling specialising in working with children and a Masters. I specialise in working with children and young people. I also offer adult work. Since 2005, I have worked with children, young people and adults, in other emotional supporting capacities, across a range of community and organisational settings in the last 15 years.
I completed a Diploma in Integrative Supervision of Individuals and Groups and I obtained a distinction in an ACTO (Association for Counselling and Therapy Online) approved General Certificate in Online Counselling and Psychotherapy.
Children - I have specific specialisms, experience and interest in working with the following issues - Relationship issues with peer and siblings, expressing emotions safely, school behaviour, Transition anxiety (school, college, university and work), family breakdown, adult/child relations, hyper vigilant/sensitive children, working through bereavement and loss, young carers, perfectionism and those children with identity/heritage concerns.
For older children and young adults and their families I have specific specialisms, experience and interest in working with the following issues Relationship Issues - family breakdown, anxiety and the affects of separation and divorce, fragmentation/step families, substance and alcohol misuse, sexual health and making responsible choices, risky behaviours, teenage/young pregnancy, controlling/coercive behaviours within young intimate relationships and familial relationships.
Adults I have a specific interest in relational issues whether they stem from your intimate relationships, family, work related concerns. If you have or still struggling with a break up of a significant relationship, loss or bereavement. I have a particular interest in working with adults who just generally struggle with feeling themselves or okay in life.
Member organisations *
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
The Association for Counselling and Therapy Online
The Association for Counselling and Therapy Online
Areas of counselling we deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I work with children, young people and adults, presenting with emotional, behavioural and social difficulties.
In addition I work with children and young people affected by a range of issues such as transition (secondary school/college/university/going into work), exam pressure (e.g. SATs, GCSE's,IGCSE, AS/A-Levels, IB Diploma, BA, MA etc), self- esteem, bereavement, loss, poor relationship with food, identity, friendships, anxiety, family issues. In addition to these issues I also offer support around sexual health and forming healthy relationships.
I work with Looked After Children or those in Special Guardianship who may reside in various home settings and who have issues around identity and their own sense of displacement and belonging, as well as Young Carers.
I work with families and carers to support the child or young person. Or with support for their parenting/caring role.
I work with adults who experience difficulties in their lives and want to find a way to manage these concerns for themselves. Adult work may include issues such as low mood, anxiety, self esteem and forming healthier relationships.
I offer a non judgemental space to really explore and be free with whatever is of concern to my clients.
Do not hesitate to email me and I will endeavour to respond within 24 hours.
Please note there is a charge for consultations and parental reviews.
I charge a reasonable fee for the specialist work I offer to children, young people and adults. Once the frequency and nature of the work needed has been discussed and agreed upon we will agree upon a fee.
I do offer limited low income/benefits based (with current evidence from the appropriate agencies) fee for weekly appointments only to be discussed in person.
As an Integrative Therapist; using creative and talking therapies. I draw upon a range of counselling and therapeutic methods to support individual children,young people and adults to reach self-reliance, resilience and understanding of their own lives.