Barry Taylor Cert. Counselling, PgDip. Integrative Psychotherapy
I offer individual adult therapy, working with clients experiencing a range of difficulties:
- Anxiety • Depression • Bereavement
- Poor self-image and self-esteem
- Shame • Compulsive behaviours • Social anxiety
- Problems in relationships and relating
- Living with long-term illness and disability
I also have a particular interest in major life transitions, and the stresses, challenges and new directions they can lead to – leaving home, setting up as an independent adult, new stages in long-term relationships and families, adjusting to the 'empty nest' and life with adult children, issues in retirement and older age.
I believe my first task as a counsellor and therapist is to build a relationship with you where you feel secure, accepted, and heard without judgement. On that foundation, therapy has a chance of becoming a place where you feel safe enough to share the more vulnerable, challenging, or painful aspects of your experience.
As an integrative psychotherapist, I draw upon a number of therapeutic approaches. This means that I can work with you flexibly in response to your specific issues and needs. Alongside my therapy training, I also draw on my training in Mindfulness for Health, with a particular focus on managing stress and anxiety.
At the heart of my approach are these beliefs and values
- a belief in the individual’s built-in capacity for health and growth
- the conviction that a secure and trusting therapeutic relationship can offer the conditions for that healthy growth to prosper
- the understanding that my role as therapist is not to direct or lead you, but to work with you to support and nurture your own process of change
- a commitment to equality and diversity, and a non-judgemental respect for all my clients
As a Registered Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, I work within that organisation's professional Ethical Framework.
Training, qualifications & experience
UgCert. Counselling, Keele University 2003-4
PgDip. (Distinction) Integrative Psychotherapy, 2015-17
University of Central Lancashire
Teaching Certificate in Mindfulness for Health,
Breathworks CiC, Manchester 2012-13
BACP Registered Member 339352
In addition to working with private clients, I am the in-house counsellor at a South Manchester GP group practice.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£40 per session. I currently offer one appointment per week at a reduced rate of £25 for those on lower incomes.
Email or phone me for a free half-hour initial discussion, which can be an opportunity for you to ask any questions you might have about counselling in general, or any aspect of the service I offer.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I see clients for fifty minute sessions at the Counselling Rooms in Chorlton, South Manchester on Thursday mornings. Appointments are available at 7.45; 9.00; 10.00; 11.00 and 12.00
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|